Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 or 3 Riders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 or 3 Riders
    Posted: 21 Dec 2006 at 9:12am
Recently I've been experiencing a nasty trend in third riders "forcing" their way into my car without even asking...and on those rare occasions when I am asked and indicate no, they either fuss about my SUV gas hog or try to get in anyway.

Anyone else experience this?

And by the way, my SUV gas hog gets 24 MPG on the highway. With three people, rider + 2, that's far better people milage than any empty hybrid.

litigationguru
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2006 at 4:57pm
Twice only in 3 years. I'm pretty big and ugly, so neither decided to argue.

You might try one of two methods, depending upon your personality.

1. Say "two for free, 3 for ten dollars".

2. Pepper spray - if they are in fact forcing entry.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2006 at 5:25am
I have found the same thing. It is now assumed that each car SHOULD be taking that third rider, even when clearly annunciating "TWO FOR..." I understand someone wanting to get home but I've seen folks asking a driver to take a third when there's a line up of numerous cars behind. It's the dopey drivers that take a third when there are cars behind them that really piss me off.

Flyby
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2006 at 8:54am
achall,
It's incredible to hear that people just get into your car without asking first. There are a few rude and obnoxious people that spoil it for everyone.

I would not stand for that kind of behavior. I would just kindly ask that third person to alight from your car. If they still force their way in, refuse to leave, badger you, or fuss, I would not move the car. I am sure other slugs would support your right to refuse a slug.

Goober
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2006 at 12:19pm
There are some previous threads on this same issue. I have also had people trying to get into my car (van) and when I said I only take two, they said "really?" to which I replied "really!" On another occasion I had a third rider actually try to get into my small compact car (an Aveo) and I didn't even recognize it until I began to drive off.

I see the problem as two fold -- from slugs who think that we OWE them a ride because we have room and secondly from other drivers who take three when there are plenty of other cars waiting to pick up their own slugs. I would make exceptions if I had room and if it's late in the slugging time period and there are NO other drivers waiting or likely to show up for slugs. Slugging works on the principal that there are both slugs and drivers willing to take them. If some drivers take extra slugs early in the day (and I have seen cars backed up and a "contientious driver" is taking extra passengers) than it means other drivers wont have slugs.

Compounding the problem are the slugs who ask "will you take three?" The only time that question is legitimate is if it is late in the slugging period, or if there is inclement weather, or if it would leave a female alone at a stop.

Drivers: Take two and leave some slugs for the others who are paying to get to work. You don't owe a third slug a ride to get onto HOV and you really don't need the extra liability if an accident took place.
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 11:26am
Moving subject up over spam.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2006 at 9:05am
Just remember there are couples who slug to and fro together for a few reasons:

A: the fact they arrive and leave the commuter lot in 1 vehicle, hence the logic of getting to the lot for the same reason at the same time

B: the matter of safety in numbers-why would I get in a car solo when my hubby can ride w/me?

Thanks to all the riders who "take a third"- Willingly, never forced.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic