Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAll electrics are coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:41am
I drive one day a week and slug in the other four days. You could pick up riders to help commuters get to work and thereby reduce the number of cars on the road, but you choose to ride alone in HOV. Your way of commuting fits the definition of selfish than my way.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:42pm
Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdUfAEIEos
http://ev1-club.power.net/

Not that I think electric vehicles are the best idea, but they're a good stepping stone provided we get our power from a good source, They're better than hybrids.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

This thread was old news until you brought it back to life.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 10:37am
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...

Just think - it could be <$.50 if everyone in the US traded in their conventional vehicle for a hybrid. i/3 of any cost translates to 2/3 savings.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 12:50pm
NoSUV, I still can't figure out which you are, a shill for VDOT or a shill for hybrid cars. Either way you're annoying.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 4:29pm
Welcome to the light TMCL, I've been saying that about NOSUV/YesSOV for a while now. There is a financial/political interest as a motivator at work here (not an ecological, nor an altruistic one)!

BTW, if gas was $.50 a gallon, hybrids would die on the vine! The financials for alternate fuel development don't work when gas is cheap.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 8:07am
^

True that. Fuel for me is already under a buck a gallon and I wouldn't ever consider trading my vehicle in on a hybrid.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 12:49pm
Yeah look what lower gas prices have already done. I love America....

Big is back: As pump prices plunge, SUV sales surge
Buyers with short memories when it comes to gas prices find hot deals on big vehicles.
By Adrianne Jeffries | Special to the Daily Press
December 30, 2008
NEWPORT NEWS - It looks like the Highlander is in and the Prius is out — for now at least.

Trucks and sport utility vehicles will outsell cars for the first time since February, according to a December report by Edmunds.com, which tracks industry statistics.

"Despite all the public discussion of fuel efficiency, SUVs and trucks are the industry's biggest sellers right now as a remarkable number of buyers seem to be compelled by three factors: great deals, low gas prices and winter weather," said Michelle Krebs of AutoObserver.com, a division of Edmunds.com, in a prepared statement.

"It was this summer that customers were concerned about the gas mileage. It hasn't been a topic of conversation lately," said Dave Lawson, the general sales manager at Pomoco Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Newport News. The majority of Pomoco's inventory is SUVs, and its best-selling models are minivans.
Lawson said sales at the dealership are up, although they are still below last year's numbers. Low gas prices and increased consumer confidence are part of the reason, he said. But the real draw for customers is prices.

"I really think one of the biggest reasons the SUV sales are outpacing the car sales is because of the discounts," Lawson said. "The manufacturers have incentives like I've never seen before."

Lawson said discounts are biggest for 2008 models like the Dodge Ram 2500, which is currently marked down $12,000.

"This month has definitely been a little bit of a better month than most, and hopefully that will carry into the new year," Lawson said. "We're very positive down here."

The surge in SUV and truck sales suggests that the issue of fuel efficiency has faded in the minds of many consumers.

Toyota has already slowed production of the industry's flagship hybrid vehicle, the Prius, due to lack of interest and a growing inventory of the once best-selling model, Edmunds.com reported.

All this might mean a setback for fuel-efficient models that were heralded as a remedy for the country's addiction to oil.

In a November interview with "60 Minutes," President-elect Barack Obama described the pattern as "shock to trance." "You know, oil prices go up, gas prices at the pump go up, everybody goes into a flurry of activity," Obama said. "And then the prices go back down and suddenly we act like it's not important, and we start, you know, filling up our SUVs again."

Rick Gallaer, president of the Pomoco auto group, said the dealership just reflects customer demand.

"If the consumer wants SUVs, we're here to give it to them," he said. "If the consumer wants fuel efficient cars we will provide that."

denden891 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denden891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 10:15am
Idiots! Like the price isn't going to go back up.

dO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic