Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti-hybrid road rage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 5:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
The question is which is "better", conventional HOV (which does nothing to help with the major global problems when those vehicles are not being used for commuting) or SOV hybrids (which may be less efficient than some HOV conventional vehicles during commuting only, but are the clear choice when not being used for commuting). Throw into the mix that express lanes are still far faster and more free flowing than the regular lanes during commuting hours.

NoSUV, we argued this in another thread and based on real numbers, not opinions, that on average hybrids don't make up on "non-commuting miles" for their extra pollution when driving SOV in HOV. Yet you keep repeating your flawed logic.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2437
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2006 at 10:36am
Sparky,

Let me applaud your civility in responding to some folks on here who didn't return the courtesy. I understand your situation. Maybe a better system would take into account "limited CF SOV" usage at less than peak times in the HOV. We're not sophisticated for that apparently. I agree, traffic at the time you've chosen is less than on the front end of the HOV hours. Good time you get to sleep in too eh?

I like getting home early enough to have some sunshine in the afternoon/evening, so I make a choice to endure the pain in the morning--although with your own logic you also don't support SOVs during peak HOV time periods.

Ethanol again: How many people are wasting their $$ on Premium unleaded? Looks like a good candidate for the E85 nozzle to me...of course, what do I really know?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2006 at 8:47pm
Thank you, N or S.

Your suggestion could be a good one, but the whole situation plays up what is an overall problem for suburb-to-suburb commuters. [:(!]

I think another issue is that most of us comutting to SS are not feds. I'm not, work in the private sector and my schedule is not considered a "standard shift."

As for $$$ on premium gas, the Prius runs on 87 octane regular.

tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 9:56am
Did anyone else notice the ridiculous number of Hybrids on HOV this morning?? I only counted 2 "normal" cars from the beginning of HOV North (around Quantico) to the Woodbridge exit!!! yes, only 2!!! All of the other cars were Hybrids. Now--those of you that think Hybrids are not a MAJOR cause of the congestion....go ahead and look out your window once a while at the cars around you. The Hybrids are multiplying everyday!! I am not against Hybrids at all...just don't understand why if these Hybrid drivers are so "pro-environment".....why they won't pick up slugs or commute with others to lessen the traffic and pollutants on the road. You know that our fearless leaders are not going to do anything about the commuter hell we go through everyday....Hybrid drivers: can you PLEEEEEASE pick up some riders....we need your help!!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 11:38am
Tangelo53,
If you're not against SOV Hybrids, you're part of the problem. SOV Hybrids are not about the environment. They're about clogging the roads and selfishness. Take away the hybrid exemption on 395 and 66 and you'll see about as many flying cars as hybrids. Its simple. Hybrid ownership is about 98% free ride on HOV. Get it? Sheesh.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 12:19pm
... Except for those who bought hybids for the fuel economy and must drive to work on roads that do not offer HOV lanes as there are on 95/395 and 66.(For example, two neighbors in Burke with hybrids drive every workday to their workplaces at Dulles and Tysons Corner without ever getting on I-95/395 or 66).

I do not own a hybrid and choose to be in a regular carpool or to use the slug system when necessary, but I don't put all hybrids in the "abusing HOV" category. There are a few hybrid owners that an exemption to use HOV lanes to commute to and from work just doesn't apply. [:)]

BTW, I am 100% for every I-95/395 HOV commuter vehicle having at least 3 SOBs (Souls On Board). We always have a blast with the 3 or 4 SOBs in our carpool! A hybrid driver without any other SOBs must be a lonely soul. Hug a slug today! [;)]
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 12:20pm
Yeah, but most get to "feel good" about themselves as they're driving a "green" car even in their own self-contained world that doesn't interact with the world of reality around them.

But...it is a done deal. The exemption is here to stay for whatever period of time they decided. The way VA State govt is set up allows a bad decision to perpetuate since there is no vested interest on the part of the legislators who passed the exemption. Unless there WAS a vested interest, but it wasn't for the voters in the state who can't vote for/against the legislators who carried the vote for the exemption.

Nice how the scammers get to run their scam. Those who would "appear" loyal to their voting constituency by voting down the exemption still benefit from the PACs because they knew the measure was going to carry in the first place because enough votes were outside of the immediate area that their consituency didn't care about.

Democracy (even as we practice it) isn't the best system, but it's better than any alternative we've come up with so far.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 1:33pm
What we are seeing is influence peddling by the auto industry and other speacial interests. I'm sure if we were exposed to even 1 percent of what goes on on Capitol Hill we would be nauseated. In this case, we got a real good look at how the system works at the state level and how lobbyists corrupt the system.

The way I see the hybrid mess, the feds should have very strict control over what happens on the interstates. But they have copped out and handed it over to the states. In the case of construction the feds and states have copped out to get money from tolls because they dont have the spine to raise the gas tax or cut wasteful spending. On policies such as the hybrids, they have been bought by the auto lobby.

It really is unconscionable for our state reps to abandon us and give no reason (that I have heard) other than "we dont control what comes out of committee, etc." Where is the SPINE? The hybrid exemption is wrong on principal, fairness, traffic analysis and every other measure other than lobbyist money. They should have voted NO on it, even if it gave us the "benefit" of the grandfather clause. (Next year they will extend it again, and again until HOT lanes come in).

If anyone has any specifics on what was said re the hybrid vote by Lingamfelter, McQuigg or others please post it.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 8:47pm
Wow, Bob! Hard to believe that every legislator in Virginia is in the pocket of the auto lobby. Wasn't the vote nearly overwhelming?

Did ya ever think that YOU were out of step?

Of course not!

BTW - on I-395 express lanes during HOV hours, I still have to slow down to get to the speed limit. Can't say the same about the regular lanes.

Did I say out of step?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2006 at 4:51pm
NoSUV,
On portions of 95, the regular lanes are almost always faster than the HOV lanes. We don't make it to the speed limit except on special occassions either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic