Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2004 at 8:38am
We generally only ask if you will take a third when the line is very long and we are short of cars. When there is a movement of cars and slugs, putting a third in a car may cheat another driver of a slug, however, when we are short of cars and getting close to 6:00, patientce will only put you in traffic or leave you without a ride.

Feel free to say no, that is OK, but it is OK to ask. As I have stated, we should not ask if there is a rug rat seat in the back seat or one side of the back is coverd with beer cans and liquor bottles.

quote:
Originally posted by marcelhenryg
[br]riders should not ask to take a third person. just be patient third rider, you're ride will come!

marcelhenryg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcelhenryg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2004 at 3:55pm
riders should not ask to take a third person. usually, if a driver wants to take more than 2 people, he or she will make it clear more than 2 can be accommodated. drivers often take 3 to keep from being "hated" by the slugs, and they should not be put in that position. ESPECIALLY if there is a child seat in the car; do not ask drivers to move them; they are a pain to put in and out each time. just be patient third rider, you're ride will come!
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2004 at 3:20pm
I'm sure Gregory is only joking with his post. Drivers are in control and should take only as many as they desire.
GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 12:52pm
The drivers may resent asking, but it is OK to ask most of the time if one of the circumstances are present such as a long line of slugs, bad weather, or a lady at the end of the line that would be left. Obviously, if there is a baby seat or a lot of junk in the third spot, then the driver should not ask.

If someone ask and the driver feels turned off by being asked, they have a remedy, do not allow the third to ride, or kick everyone out and drive in the regular lanes.

To the driver, if we ask, just say yes or no, but we will try not to ask unless one of the exceptions are present. If you say no OK. If you do not like us asking, then screw you.

GeeseAreGood

quote:
Originally posted by Joma
[br]they resent the riders asking.
Joma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 9:59am
Also to respond to Gregory's statement about drivers, quite a few past posts from drivers have stated that THEY prefer to be the ones to determine how many and that they resent the riders asking. So, there you go...can't please everyone.
MarieA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2004 at 8:43am
As a driver and someone who has to pick up a toddler from daycare a few days a week when I get home, I almost always have a carseat in the back, placed behind me to make it easier for people. So, I usually can't take a third, but when I haven't had the carseat I am more than happy to take a third person. In fact, if there is a long line of people and few cars, I am more than happy (if I don't have the carseat). I think that if there is few drivers on a given day, please ask, especially when it is cold out. I know that I would be more than happy to take an extra person whenever I am able.
Tall6969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall6969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 1:24pm
Yes, I disagree with Gregory too.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 12:56pm
I disagree with gregory on this one. Carrying more than the required number should be the exception, not the rule.
1. More weight/usage = more wear and tear
2. More riders (often) = more stops
3. More riders may cause a wait for drivers behind you.
4. More riders increase the probability of problems.

The exceptions which should be considered are:

1. Long slug line, short driver line.
2. Inclement weather.
3. Female would be left alone in line.

There are probably others, but are enough to consider.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
gregory View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:39am
I think that every driver should take as many riders as their car can comfortably sit (some cars are just too small). In addition, I think the driver should specify that he/she has room for three or only two. I also think that if you are a driver, and you are asking these nice riders to share your car, in order for you to get into work sooner, that you should make room, (put your stuff in the trunk) before pulling up to the line. As a driver, I usually try to make all back seats available. Now for the rider… I think that every rider should ask how many (and report it to the line loud enough). I think the first rider getting in should assume to move over to allow anyone else to get in. I don’t like the riders who get into my minivan and assume I’m only taking one, (especially when I take four). It is the caller’s “duty” to ask the driver of destination and number of riders and report it to the line. As a rider, I too think it’s frustrating to watch a car pull away with a roomy, empty back seat. I agree with SKCRAB, slugging is an art. I like that, I think I’ll add it as my signature.[^]
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by viper
[br]
"BEEP..BEEP..BEEP" Watch out, AB is backing up!!![;)]

I don't get it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic