Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcheaters vs. hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 2:52pm
I have been driving a hybrid for about 3 months now and have picked up slugs every day. I do this for two reasons: 1) according to VA DMV website you need the clean fuel tags on hybrids in order to be in the HOV lanes (I haven't bothered getting CF tags because I don't need them) and 2) I'm a firm believer in HOV-3 enforcement. I would have loved to see the hybrid pulled over. Hopefully they got a ticket and won't be able to get out of it once they go to court.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 1:10pm
Uhhhhh, cheaters most definitely. They're just blatant scofflaw jerks. I've learned to deal with the hybrids and am comforted by the fact that the exemption cut-off date is rapidly approaching. BTW-Vick, thanks...you are doing a great thing...
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2004 at 10:53am
NEITHER! I am against Whiners more than either of them. Only in Northern Virginia do we get this nonsense. We are sounding more and more like the West Coast everyday. Give up on the Hybrid debate, its GETTING OLD, and isnt very constructive. Lets focus on things that we can actually do something about.

2006 will be here soon, so just call a whaaaaaaaaaahmbulance until then when all of your panties are in a knot....Goodness.

I will mention though, that it is great to see the state patrol out there enforceing the law. Makes me feel good to be a slugger, and CONTRIBUTING to the cause.

610toCrystalCity View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610toCrystalCity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 1:46pm
Cheater....definately cheaters. Because they slow us all down. Then when they get stopped they slow us down even more because people see flashing blue lights and decide to go 25 mph not the normal 65 (I can see slowing to maybe 55 when you are passing them, but there is no need to go 25). While I am on the subject why is it that when there is a cop sitting just past rt 1 in woodbridge on the left hand side of the road we have to slow down to 25mph! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2004 at 9:37pm
Its called the Northern Virginian Complex disorder. Symptoms of this include, but are not limited to: rubber necking, driving in the left lane below the speed limit, not using turn signals signals, taking up two parking spots with bohemeth vehicles, too many john kerry/george bush bumper stickers, trying to make a left hand turn to from one side of route one to the other while crossing the distinct double yellow line during rush hour without a traffic signal, tailgating, finger flipping, horn honking, playing music sooo loud that you can hear it in Orange County, racing the rice rocket souped up honda civics that make more noise than speed, going to the WaWa gas station and filling up your car and leaving your car at the pump while you go and get coffee and other items creating a line 6 cars deep, and not caring one bit, using your credit card to make a purchase of $0.89 to find out your credit card bounces higher than the highest point of the Sears Tower in Chicago.... just to name a few. Any questions?[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:55am
Yesterday morning I ended up driving myself for some reason. While in traffice I counted the cars that passed me in the HOV lanes for a few minutes between Lorton and Springfield (0815-0830)... 39 Hybrids, 84 HOV-compliant vehicles, 4 unmarked police going to DC or wherever, and about 7 motorcycles. Didn't see a single obvious cheater, though some of the 84 may have been cheaters.

I just did a little spreadsheet based on these numbers. I assigned 3 people to each "HOV compliant"(a little conservative), 1.2 to the hybrids(being generous), and 1 to the others.

Hybrids take 29% of the road, moving 15% of the people.
HOV take up 47% of the road, moving 81% of the people.
Police and motorcycles were 8% and 3.5%

There were only a few busses, but if I had accounted for them it would have signifigantly lowered the % of people moved by hybrids.

pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 12:56pm
I really don't think that Hybrids are to blame for all of the congestion, but they do seem to get blamed. I always thought it had something to do with the population growth.
Brake4Slugs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brake4Slugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2004 at 9:14am
According to the above numbers, hybrids are taking up a big chunk of the road, while not proving the same rider benefit. Let's just all agree that there are MANY reasons why the HOV lanes are becoming more congested.

I just wish that people could stop TAILGATING! [B)] Traffic would flow better if we all left a little more space between our cars. It allows for lane changes and merges. It would also probably cut down on the number of stupid fender-benders. I try to leave at least 3-4 car lengths between my car and the one ahead. Call me silly, but it keeps me and my riders safer and it helps with the traffic flow. Is there a tailgater out there who has not heard about the recent crash on 66, where a pick-up truck rear-ended a car and killed a toddler and an unborn child? The mother tried unsuccessfully to save her child from the burning back seat. Just think about that the next time you feel the need to drive so close to my bumper you can read the brand name of my infant car seat. [:(!]

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.[^]

Brake for Slugs

~I'd enjoy the day more, if it started later~
DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2004 at 9:02am
Has anyone ever done the gas mileage math on a hybrid. They allow them in the HOV lanes because they are "Clean Fuel" vehicles. Last time I checked they are using the same "dirty fuel" as every other vehicle.

Anyway, a hybrid averages about 45-49mpg (brand new) when going 55mph and over. Riding by themselves.

My vehicle gets about 20 mpg anytime, but I have two other people in the car. So I am getting about 60 mpg (if you multiply by the people).

If that hybrid had two other people in the car they would be getting 135 mpg...that, honestly, would be excellent!

Anyway, all I am saying is that my "dirty fuel" vehicle is doing more for the air than that of a "clean fuel" vehicle when they are only riding with one person in the car.

I don't think that it's fair for them to ride in the hov by themselves and/or get a tax break for that car. Not everyone can afford to buy one and it is certainly not doing anything for traffic congestion or air quality. It's a waste all around.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2004 at 12:18pm
Old arguement same answer.......2006, until then its here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic