Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]Well....if everyone is so certain it is the hybrids, then explain why the traffic in the regular lanes isn't getting better. I would think that with 'ALL THE MASSES OF PEOPLE CHANGING OVER TO HYBRIDS' that the result would be better traffic in the regular lanes.

It looks to me that theregular lanes are getting worse as well. So unless people are driving their regular vehicles and their hybrids at the same time....that theory is out the window.

Your post makes sense, but I wonder if drivers or slugs are moving to hybrids? That would mean more congestion in HOV and steady congestion in the normal lanes.

I still don't think Hybrids are to blame, but it's something to think about.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 3:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by cdatkins
...if this keeps up, we need to organize slugging to the Springfield Metro (at least from the Woodbridge area) because I would rather be moving on the Metro than stuck in the HOV.

Great idea! Some days I need to park at F-S and take the Metro, either because I will be staying quite late at the office or because I have a class to get to. The OmniRide buses between W'bridge and F-S Metro are okay, but the schedule is slow-w-w-w, and the buses fill up quickly. So I end up jumping into the mass of HOV traffic at 5:20 or so just to get to the Metro before HOV restrictions start and then have a very long day. I would LOVE to sleep a little longer and take slugs with me to the Metro.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 4:18pm
Maybe a return to HOV-4 is in the not-too-distant future.
JustWannaGetHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustWannaGetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:16am
quote:
[br]Well....if everyone is so certain it is the hybrids, then explain why the traffic in the regular lanes isn't getting better. I would think that with 'ALL THE MASSES OF PEOPLE CHANGING OVER TO HYBRIDS' that the result would be better traffic in the regular lanes.

It looks to me that theregular lanes are getting worse as well. So unless people are driving their regular vehicles and their hybrids at the same time....that theory is out the window.

Do you think only those that ride in the regular lanes are buying Hybrids? No, it's those that use to wait 20-30 minutes to pick up slugs in the morning/afternoon. It's the riders that want the freedom to leave work now if there's an emergency at home...so the theory that Hybrids are congesting the HOV lanes is not out the window. In fact, a number of times I have taken the HOV lanes up to Springfield and gotten off into the regular lanes knowing I'll move faster than the HOV lanes once past Springfield. The riders in my car always thank me for not having to sit in the congestion.
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:36am
Your post makes sense, but I wonder if drivers or slugs are moving to hybrids? That would mean more congestion in HOV and steady congestion in the normal lanes.

I still don't think Hybrids are to blame, but it's something to think about.

I have certainly considered getting a hybrid to not have to deal with slugs. Especially on days when I have a perfume-unindated slug or a nail filer. I don't blame the hybrids for the congestion, I blame ill-mannered slugs for the congestion (ok, not really), but you must consider what is driving people to leave the slug system in favor of a peaceful ride to work. It seems to be the law exempting hybrids and law enforcement vehicles that is at issue, but while the exemption exists, I do not blame anyone for taking advantage of it.
Connie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:38am
This morning was another nightmare. At one point, we were stuck in the right lane behind cars getting off at the Pentagon. We looked over and were passed by 4 Hybrids in a row, followed by one 3-person car and then 2 more Hybrids. We pulled over into the left lane and proceeded to pass 5 Hybrids within the line of approximately 15 cars waiting to exit at the Pentagon. That's 11 in a small space in a small snapshot of time. [:0]

No Hybrids are not the whole problem as someone pointed out. They are part of the problem. But I don't believe that you ignore something that can be fixed just because it's only part of the problem. I have begun contacting my representatives in Richmond -- I figure I've complained long enough and there's no point in that if I'm not willing to take action. [:)] And I am raising other issues that affect the lanes - other single driver exemptions, continued unchecked growth, the need to perhaps look at increasing the hours for HOV. If you have opinions on what is causing the problems and how they might be solved, please let your voice be heard as well.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:40am
Well, once they ban hybrids from the HOV and it is still a mess, maybe then you will be convinced it's not hybrids. Too bad that the ban won't be lifted any time soon though... because they aren't the problem.

I live in Fredericksburg and the traffic from there to the HOV is A LOT worse than it used to be. Traffic jams up where it never used to. The fact is that there are many more cars on the road. There is a lot more traffic altogether...not just more hybrids. Can't you people get that through your thick skulls????
JustWannaGetHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustWannaGetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by Connie
[br]This morning was another nightmare. At one point, we were stuck in the right lane behind cars getting off at the Pentagon. We looked over and were passed by 4 Hybrids in a row, followed by one 3-person car and then 2 more Hybrids. We pulled over into the left lane and proceeded to pass 5 Hybrids within the line of approximately 15 cars waiting to exit at the Pentagon. That's 11 in a small space in a small snapshot of time. [:0]

No Hybrids are not the whole problem as someone pointed out. They are part of the problem. But I don't believe that you ignore something that can be fixed just because it's only part of the problem. I have begun contacting my representatives in Richmond -- I figure I've complained long enough and there's no point in that if I'm not willing to take action. [:)] And I am raising other issues that affect the lanes - other single driver exemptions, continued unchecked growth, the need to perhaps look at increasing the hours for HOV. If you have opinions on what is causing the problems and how they might be solved, please let your voice be heard as well.

Could you let those that would also like to take some action, rather than just complain, know who you're contacting in Richmond (name/#/email)? Much appreciated!
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 10:02am
quote:
[br]Well, once they ban hybrids from the HOV and it is still a mess, maybe then you will be convinced it's not hybrids. Too bad that the ban won't be lifted any time soon though... because they aren't the problem.

I live in Fredericksburg and the traffic from there to the HOV is A LOT worse than it used to be. Traffic jams up where it never used to. The fact is that there are many more cars on the road. There is a lot more traffic altogether...not just more hybrids. Can't you people get that through your thick skulls????

Seems like you are the one with the thick skull, they won't ban hybrids from the HOV lanes, they will remove the HOV-capacity exemption. I think your comment was a bit harsh.

I do not believe that anyone is blaming hybrids alone, but this is one factor that is getting attention because we watch in envy as these legally driving vehicles while we are trapped in cars listening to music we do not appreciate, or with people who do not have the same fundamental values as ourselves (to drink or not to drink in a car). But since we can't admit that, we have to say we are outraged that they get to drive solo. We are aware that construction, growth, HOV hours, drivers afraid of precipitation (bumper sticker should read: "will brake for a single raindrop", and many other factors play in to bad traffic. But hybrids are an easy target to vent about.

Love Connie's action on the subject! You go!!

3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 10:13am
Maybe the surge in traffic has to do with daylight savings time? Could it be people are leaving for work later? I noticed in the afternoon ride home, there are many, many cheaters at 5:30 since it's been getting darker sooner and the cops are out of pocket.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic