Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic
    Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 12:13pm
Never saw a study by AAA... was it of our HOV lanes? and didn't contaminate the numbers with I66 data? And shows the incredible rise in the number of CF-plated high-breds in Virginia?

VDOT's number was in the low-to-mid 20's as a percent of all traffic on the HOV lanes. That was last Novemberish when they did the tally.

Now, there isn't even a waiting list for high-breds anymore. Not sure why that is. Are people scared of losing the HOV in a year? Or is the number of people interested in them declining? Or have the manufacturers started sending more to the U.S.?

The woman who sits beside me at work walked into a dealership last Saturday and drove out in a new Civic high-bred. The salesman said, "No law for cars has ever been removed from the books," meaning the exemption will stand, in his opinion. She lives in Herndon and uses I66, not I95, so I forgive her (mostly.)

I no longer count high-breds on the HOV lanes, not individually. What I count now are the number of times that my vehicle is surrounded by high-breds.

If people would count bodies instead of vehicles, we'd be dealing with similar facts instead of dissimilar opinions.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 10:53am
I heard the AAA report 17% of HOV traffic is Hybrid traffic. Interesting that the kids' observation is pretty accurate. Good job.

As I see it, driving daily, 15-20% is about right. Also there are probably 10-15% cheaters - you must only get a warning for your first offense.

The problem with traffic is not simply too many people driving on too few roads. There are just too many folks out here heading the same direction at once.

VRE is full, busses are full, van pools are full, metro is packed. Is it a surprise that even HOV is becoming packed?

It's only going to get worse, so instead of worrying about HOV/HOT/SOV/whatever, should we concentrate our energies on our local governments to attract business (real jobs, not retail) to our own little burgs? Stafford is trying.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 10:43am
NoSUV,
You are entirely wrong in your assessment. Less people carpooling means slower traffic in the non-toll and HOT lanes. Isn't that the simplest thing ever to understand?
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 10:11am
Just because the majority of people posting in this forum is anti-solo drivers(including Hybrids), and you got irritated by that, you are now a HOT supporter? Sheesh!

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 7:57am
MDC, the obvious, and I do mean obvious, fault with your logic is the evidence you see every day to your right.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2005 at 10:36pm
NoSUV,
How is it that the cars in the regular lanes are passing us if we're going 35mph faster? I'm sure you already know that toll lanes will make everyone slower than they are now since the number of carpools/HOV3 will be greatly reduced..

The faster the HOV lanes go, the more incentive for people to ride with others. It's so simple it's stupid, eh?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2005 at 2:21pm
Have to admit, if you charted the number of hybrids in the HOV lanes from 4 years to now, of COURSE you will have explosive growth! Same could be said for starting the charts for SUVs from before they were intoduced to 4 years later. Sheesh!

Problem has been and remains getting rid of the traffic jam in the regular lanes. Look to your right as you commute - and on the average, you can see that you are going at least 35 mph faster. In some spots, much faster, in others, barely faster, but the average is about 35 mph. And that's WITH the hybrids sharing the HOV lanes. Without the hybrids in the HOV, the problem is only exasperated. Just shouting that it would be nice if everybody slugged really doesn't solve the overall problem - but tolls will!
HybridDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HybridDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2005 at 9:41am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]If I had a son or daughter that wanted to do a paper on hybrids, the central chart in the paper would be a chart with years on the horizontal axis and number of hybrids on the vertical axis. This would show that the explosive growth of the past 3 years could not have been sustained for more than a couple of more years had nothing been done. The pro-hybrids never speak of the future on this. End of debate.

That's not really the scientific process. My parents never did my paper for me to further an agenda. [:0]

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2005 at 8:56am
If I had a son or daughter that wanted to do a paper on hybrids, the central chart in the paper would be a chart with years on the horizontal axis and number of hybrids on the vertical axis. This would show that the explosive growth of the past 3 years could not have been sustained for more than a couple of more years had nothing been done. The pro-hybrids never speak of the future on this. End of debate.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2005 at 12:34pm
As I said alot of you folks are so quick to nibble at the controversial "bait" which is put out before you.

I totally agree with Sponge, as I often do. [8D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic