Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelegegates Betray Us - Extend Hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 2:24pm
Don't worry NoSUV. Soon HOV will stand for Hybrid Only Vehicles, and you can go back to calling them HOV again!
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 2:45pm
Well said. It is evident, from the people to the delegtes, that we wan't to make better environmental and technology choices that also fit our daily lives. These incentives are proving very useful and the hybrids are just a scratch in the scratch. With what the hybrids have started will be truely incredible in 5 or 10 years. Imagine a mass transit hydrogen powered van? See you in the future.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:12pm
It's simple why they would vote the way they did. You don't even have to study the issue to know that being "pro hybrid" is an easy "pro environment" position to take regardless of it's effect on the environment. It doesn't matter that congested HOV lanes is about the worst thing they could do for the environment, traffic and pollution wise.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:40pm
MDC,
My assessment was about the travel mess in the HOV lanes not other activities. I guess that your assessment should have mentioned that those who skip breakfast would also have a shorter commute. Respectfully submitted with tongue planted firmly in cheek. For now, let's just stay focused on picking on the sov hybrids.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 4:53pm
It was about skipping lines, not breakfast. Even if the Hybrid driver eats breakfast, and the slugs skip, they are going to get to work faster than most slugs taking the same route.

That's why they don't care as much about HOV lane congestion. Their trips are a lot shorter than ours.
James-G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2006 at 7:30am
I am outraged that this would pass the Senate when it is so clear that hyprids are choking the HOV lanes. I have writen to my House Delegate strongly encouraging her to oppose this bill. I don't think it is too late for us to stop this. There are many more Sluggers, Carpoolers, and Bus riders than hyprid owners. James
Man of Reason View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2006 at 10:27am
quote:
Originally posted by James-G
[br]I am outraged that this would pass the Senate when it is so clear that hyprids are choking the HOV lanes. I have writen to my House Delegate strongly encouraging her to oppose this bill. I don't think it is too late for us to stop this. There are many more Sluggers, Carpoolers, and Bus riders than hyprid owners. James

Great to hear that reasonable heads are prevailing in the VA Assembly...A compromise solution has always been the correct path for hybrids using the HOV lanes in VA....Ending legislation because it's been too successful??? that's bassackwards...also, too much congestion in the regular lanes....where would you put the additional cars??

I commute daily using a Civic Hybrid on the HOV lanes (after 7:30 in the am and before 5:00 in the pm, hov-2 and alone ) and continue to be struck by the assertion of sluggers, vanpoolers, etc.that the HOV lanes are overcrowded (some commuters on pro-slugging websites even claim, ridiculously so, that there's often more congestion in HOV vs. non-HOV...). If these people were being honest, they would tell you that with the exception of bottlenecks at two points in the HOV corridor (beginning at Edsell Rd. through the Springfield Interchange where ALL vehicles are allowed to enter HOV and the Eads St. exit at the Pentagon) traffic moves at a steady pace of 65+ miles an hour. If anything, I would contend that the HOV lanes along the I-95 corridor are underutilized given the extreme congestion problems experienced in non-HOV lanes.

An article by "Dr. Gridlock" (Ron Shaffer) of the Washington Post echo's my sentiment and it seems the majority of users in HOV lanes; In the
article he asked readers for their counts and opinions of hybrid vehicles in the HOV-3 lanes. The consensus among readers was that there is not a
congestion problem outside of the bottlenecks mentioned above and that hybrids should continue to be allowed for this use...The following were
some of the conclusions drawn and a link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46042-2005Feb23.html

Given the above, not to mention the fuel crisis we're in here in America, the move toward HOT lanes along I-95 and overall support of the hybrid exemption (see below), extending the exemption in one form or another is the only logical course of action.....

Other Facts
The Washington Post conducted a scientific survey of attitudes toward hybrids and the use of HOV lanes in VA. "In a recent Washington Post poll, 56 percent
of Northern Virginians said single-person hybrid vehicles should be allowed to use carpool lanes, and 43 percent said they should not. Across the
region, 53 percent said they should be allowed and 45 percent said they should not. To measure attitudes toward commuting, The Post interviewed 1,003 randomly selected adults in the Washington area Jan. 27 to 31." 2005

In addition, national polling favors hybrid use in HOV-lanes; MSNBC poll did poll similar to the Washington Post....70% support the hybrid exemption in
HOV....1682 people were polled...(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html
)...

Beckie5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beckie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 8:49am
I think that the voters should vote. Not voting in a poll, but vote to elect or not to elect the Hybrid allowance. I do not believe that Richmond is putting the interest of the voters first.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 3:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie5
[br]I think that the voters should vote. Not voting in a poll, but vote to elect or not to elect the Hybrid allowance. I do not believe that Richmond is putting the interest of the voters first.

The voters HAVE voted. Unlike California, where elected representatives abdicate their responsibilities, we voted for people and empowered them to represent our opinions. I polled all of the candidates asking for my vote on the hybrid exemption and intended to use that as a criteria for my vote. It didn't help since every one of them supported extention.
duckduffer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckduffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 2:07pm
[:(!][:(!][:(!]Man of Reason...or any other Hybrid owner for that manner.
Please tell me what HOV-2 is on I-95 or I-395? I only see HOV-3 signs, is there something I am missing here. What gives you the right to say that it is okay for you to add more cars to the road because you can afford $25,000 or so, on a commuting car? Do you know that doing over 55 you are as fuel efficient as a 4 cylinder gas engine? What about all the space you take up parking these cars once you get to where you are going? Cut down those tress; pave the National Mall so you can park them there. This way the tourist can see your wonderful Hybrids, instead of the trees, gardens and grass. Pave the land with more parking lots with concrete and asphalt. This is good for the environment.

What is so wrong with using a Hybrid and riding with 3 or more people? The mentality of I have to drive by myself cause. I am selfish has to stop. We need to find ways to take cars off the road not add more. . Why do most of the hybrids on the road have 4 doors, when only 1 is used?

What is the REASON!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic