Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelegegates Betray Us - Extend Hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:39pm
duckdugger - the logical and reasonable extention of your question leads one to wonder why you aren't taking public transportation. After all, isn't HOV-40 better than HOV-3? What are YOU doing about going by bus?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:50pm
Bottom line is that ANY single occupant, fossil fuel vehicle is part of the problem, not part of the solution. As I have said before many times, hybrids are a stopgap solution, a bandaid, and a marketing ploy designed to distract us from the problem and perpetuate a revenue flow to the auto manufacturers. The problem is dependency on non-renewable fuel sources. The longer hybrids are touted as a solution (and supported by this exemption), the longer we waste money feeding the auto manufacturer's coffers and waste time not developing autos that run on renewable fuel. We need to invest in solution technologies! Not marketing scams designed to keep the auto and fuel companies in business. When they design a car that runs on biodiesel, methanol, ethanol, hydrogen, or any other renewable fuel, I'll but it! Until then, hybrids are a scam, and SOV hybrids do not belong in the HOV lanes.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:54pm
BTW, politicians vote for the laws that they are paid to vote for. And who do you think pays for favorable laws? Who do you think carries more weight in congress, us or the auto lobby? When the lobbists for petro fuel call Richmond, do you think there is a politician that would not take that call? What about you or I? Just because they support the exemption does not make it right!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 10:19am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Bottom line is that ANY single occupant, fossil fuel vehicle is part of the problem, not part of the solution. ... Until then, hybrids are a scam, and SOV hybrids do not belong in the HOV lanes.

Why isn't the bottom line that ANY non-public transportation solution for commuting is part of the problem? Why do you stop short? The scam is the selfish slug community, unwilling to use public transportation in favor of a free ride.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 12:54pm
All diesels can burn biodiesel. Rode in this morn in a Jetta TDI. Gets 50mpg (sound familiar?). Doesn't qualify for CF plates.

All cars can burn a mix of 85% petro/15% ethanol, but it's only distributed in select cities that have mandated it's usage. Why not nationally? Because we don't have a domestic energy policy to support our international policies.

Many auto manufacturers already sell popular models that run on ethanol. Sold mostly as fleet vehicles. Costs about $4k more per vehicle. Better than the gas/elec combo that has a lot more cost to it than that.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 2:15pm
Finally, some sense: YES NoSUV, I agree that public transportation is a solution to the problem of traffic congestion and foriegn fuel dependency, but how do you think the electricity used to run METRO is made? Try coal-fired power plants (still a fossil fuel). But mass transit is still a viable step in the right direction.

Now if we could address the cost issues: METRO prices have become cost prohibitive. I figure my monthly METRO fare and parking expenses at about $229., or $2748. per year, unsubsidized! Hmmmmm, would I rather pay metro fares, or would I rather put my kids through college? Although I agree that mass transit is a viable solution, it has become way too expensive for me to consider it as an option. Besides, I have made some good friends slugging!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 2:21pm
Great info. NoSb! Have you heard about Willie Nelson's crusade to promote biodiesel? If I could find the stuff reliably, I would buy a diesel and use it. I understand the exhaust smells like french fries! Unfortunately, its not widely distributed...

The big fuel companies will not allow it to happen until, 1.) they have established a per unit cost for fuel that guarantees profitability, 2.) they have established a regulatory environment that will stabilize the world market for bio-fuel, and 3.) they own all the farms. I believe this will happen.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 5:26pm
Ray,

Saw the same segment on the evening news the other day.
Good publicity for ole Willie. But the reporter did say that Willie's fuel is 10% bio and 90% regular diesel, and it costs about $0.10 more per gallon than regular diesel. Didn't say anything about improving or decreasing MPG. At least it puts some of the money in US farmers' pockets. [8D]
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 7:26pm
Do we have any lawyers here that would like to help get rid of about half if not all the hybrids in the HOV? Hybrids don't meet the definition of clean fuel vehicle in the state code and a challenge would be intersting to see. The decision of DMV to issue a clean fuel plate to a hybrid is appealable in a Circuit Court. I'd like to see DMV defend themselves and their logic in court. Especially when it comes to the hybrids that have poor emissions ratings. Filing fees for an appeal can't be that expensive.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 8:38am
Just wanted to mention that in the Virginia House yesterday, the one year hybrid extension passed the Transportation Committee. So it looks like the one yr extension will be voted on (and no doubt pass).

The bill is HB1248 which originally ended the sunset provision, but has now been modified with a 2007 date, same as the Senate Bill. To see the text of the bill click under "Full Text" 2/08/06

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=061&typ=bil&val=hb1248&Submit=Go

Lets fire up those keyboards folks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic