Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Delegegates Betray Us - Extend Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelegegates Betray Us - Extend Hybrids

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 01 Apr 2003
Location: VA
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 9:52am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Luddite,
You're wrong in your assessment. SOV hybrids don't deal with parking, slug lines, drop-offs, or any of the normal carpool or slug activites. They can save 10, 20, or more minutes each way by taking the shortest route and not dealing with any of that. Even under optimal slugging conditions with no waiting in line, you'll never have as short a commute as the SOV hybrids.



So why would any hybrid driver, in their right mind, even consider picking up slugs? For the good of mankind? Yea, right. Does that make them selfish? Take another look at the regular lanes filled with people who have no choice but to drive SOV, you selfish HOV driver/passenger. There is no slug line to Tysons Corner.

As I said over a year ago. We are all just looking for the most efficient and economical way of commuting.
I do agree with your point that those of us who bought hybrids (mine is a 2003)knew it would probably expire in 2006. Anything beyound that is just a bonus.
(as you know, but others may not, I'm an AM slugger - wife drives the hybrid SOV inbound and with me as passenger outbound)

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
Back to Top
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 11:32am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Luddite,
You're wrong in your assessment. SOV hybrids don't deal with parking, slug lines, drop-offs, or any of the normal carpool or slug activites. They can save 10, 20, or more minutes each way by taking the shortest route and not dealing with any of that. Even under optimal slugging conditions with no waiting in line, you'll never have as short a commute as the SOV hybrids.



So why would any hybrid driver, in their right mind, even consider picking up slugs? For the good of mankind? Yea, right. Does that make them selfish? Take another look at the regular lanes filled with people who have no choice but to drive SOV, you selfish HOV driver/passenger. There is no slug line to Tysons Corner.

As I said over a year ago. We are all just looking for the most efficient and economical way of commuting.
I do agree with your point that those of us who bought hybrids (mine is a 2003)knew it would probably expire in 2006. Anything beyound that is just a bonus.
(as you know, but others may not, I'm an AM slugger - wife drives the hybrid SOV inbound and with me as passenger outbound)

Kindest Regards,

mroyal



Thank you for stating this. I bought my hybrid because I care about gas mileage and the environment, and not principally for the HOV benefit. BTW, here's another incentive, the latest report by Consumer Reports, that places the Prius squarely in the "reliable" category:

Toyota Prius
For the third year, this $23,000 gasoline/electric hybrid is our pick, thanks to its excellent 44-mpg overall fuel economy. It is certified by the California Air Resources Board as a near-zero-emission vehicle. With a roomy interior, reasonable performance, and the versatility of a hatchback, the Prius is a good alternative to a midsized sedan.
Back to Top
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Location: VA
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 1:59pm
Sparky,
"Not principally for the HOV benefit." Right. Give it a rest already. We (HOV3) don't believe it.
Back to Top
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 3:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]Sparky,
"Not principally for the HOV benefit." Right. Give it a rest already. We (HOV3) don't believe it.


Ah, yes - but the rest of the world does! Is ignorance really bliss?
Back to Top
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 7:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]Sparky,
"Not principally for the HOV benefit." Right. Give it a rest already. We (HOV3) don't believe it.



I doubt you speak for the whole world. Please read my first post again. I doubt that you read it in the first place. We bought the car because I have a 60 mile, round trip commute (to another suburb) and we wanted to save money on gas.

And, as for incentives, you're conveniently forgetting about the income tax breaks...I lot of people bought the car to get them. (BTW, we bought ours USED, so we didn't get it).

Again, I ask, why don't you move closer to your job?
Back to Top
Beckie5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Location: VA
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beckie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:13pm
The voters HAVE voted. Unlike California, where elected representatives abdicate their responsibilities, we voted for people and empowered them to represent our opinions. I polled all of the candidates asking for my vote on the hybrid exemption and intended to use that as a criteria for my vote. It didn't help since every one of them supported extention.

Mr. No SUV:
It appears that our elected officials do not vote as they should and as representatives to us. They vote for what makes them popular and for what they feel peronally. What at one time took me 45 minutes to get from Stafford to the Pentagon in the morning is now taking 1 hour to 1 and a half hours with three in the car. There is NO WAY that 20 (single rider) Hybrids during my 1 hour plus ride to the Penatgon is saving that much fuel! If you would ride together or with others and leave your hybrids home the 20 cars would be limited to 6, and that is what really saves fuel!
Back to Top
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 12:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie5
[br]The voters HAVE voted. Unlike California, where elected representatives abdicate their responsibilities, we voted for people and empowered them to represent our opinions. I polled all of the candidates asking for my vote on the hybrid exemption and intended to use that as a criteria for my vote. It didn't help since every one of them supported extention.

Mr. No SUV:
It appears that our elected officials do not vote as they should and as representatives to us. They vote for what makes them popular and for what they feel peronally. What at one time took me 45 minutes to get from Stafford to the Pentagon in the morning is now taking 1 hour to 1 and a half hours with three in the car. There is NO WAY that 20 (single rider) Hybrids during my 1 hour plus ride to the Penatgon is saving that much fuel! If you would ride together or with others and leave your hybrids home the 20 cars would be limited to 6, and that is what really saves fuel!


Beckie5, Um, how can you credibly say that? Believe it or not, polls consistently show that with the exception of a small minority, most people in the state favor the hybrid exemption. And, voting for what makes them popular is EXACTLY what they are supposed to do!

Have you looked at the population statistics for your area? Has the number of commuters increased from your previous 45 min commute? Were you before going well above the speed limit and now forced to go at the speed limit?

Why haven't YOU bought a CF vehicle? The answer I get from most is identical to the reason I only have 1 - they cost too much. Yet with the dual global problems of climate warming and dwindling fuel resources, too few of us are leaving a good legacy for future generations. An incentive to spend that extra money is obviously needed, not just for me, but for you - yes, Beckie, specifically you.

Probably the best incentive for you to spend that money is if the only traffic allowed in the express lanes were buses and HOV hybrids.

Next best is either conventional HOV (which does nothing to help with the major global problems when those vehicles are not being used for commuting) or SOV hybrids (which may be less efficient than some HOV conventional vehicles during commuting only, but are the clear choice when not being used for commuting). Neither has a clear advantage, unless you are a hybrid hating slug. Throw into the mix that express lanes are still far faster and more free flowing than the regular lanes during commuting hours, and SOV hybrids become not only politically expedient, but a better choice than conventional vehicles only being HOV during the hours of commuting.
Back to Top
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 14 Dec 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 8:21am
Hybrid exemption details re Free Lance Star March 7

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/032006/03072006/173405
Back to Top
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 20 May 2005
Location: VA
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2006 at 10:49am
Sparky,

You've used the CR reliability quote in a couple dif posts. Challenge is: there's insufficient data to indicate cost-effective life of the Prius.

I agree to a point, Toyota makes a very reliable vehicle in almost every case. (They're not very forthright in admitting when they fail though)

So, suggest you find a better data point to support EF of hybrids than current (e.g. new) limited data samples.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Back to Top
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 0
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2006 at 8:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Sparky,

You've used the CR reliability quote in a couple dif posts. Challenge is: there's insufficient data to indicate cost-effective life of the Prius.

I agree to a point, Toyota makes a very reliable vehicle in almost every case. (They're not very forthright in admitting when they fail though)

So, suggest you find a better data point to support EF of hybrids than current (e.g. new) limited data samples.


NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!



Nice point, but reliablity data is limited because the car has not been out that long. I plan to keep the car for 10 years, so I'll let you know.[:D] On the other hand, as you have pointed out, Toyota makes a very reliable vehicle.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.