Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extension of HOV to 6:30pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thadzer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thadzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2002 at 5:13pm
not everyone agrees that the hours should be extended.
lmura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2002 at 12:16pm
This is a letter I received in response to an email that I sent to VDOT. It looks as if they are not even going to consider the possiblity of extending the time. The next best thing to do is to send letters or emails to the Governor of Virginia and the Lt. Governor, because they are this person's boss. I was truly disappointed with their decision on this matter. We must do something as a large group. Perhaps a petition is in order.

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
1401 EAST BROAD STREET
RICHMOND, 23219
PHILIP A. SHUCET K. E. LANTZ, JR.
COMMISSIONER TRANSPORTATION PLANNING ENGINEER

September 24, 2002

Ms. Linda A. Mura
lmura@bdbc.com

Dear Ms. Mura:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the HOV lanes on I-95/I-395 in Northern Virginia.

The PM restricted period for the HOV lanes has been 3:30 to 6:00 since they were opened to carpoolers in 1971, with the exception of a one-month period in 1987 when the hours were extended to 6:30. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has since looked into the potential impacts of extending the hours and determined that person movement on the HOV lanes during that one-half hour would decrease and congestion in the general-purpose lanes would increase. While the study did show that the extended hours could cause some commuters to switch to transit, there was no indication that they would switch from driving alone to carpooling in order to enjoy the travel time savings.

VDOT continually conducts vehicle counts to determine the usage on the HOV lanes and their effectiveness in reducing congestion. VDOT uses this information to adjust operating conditions when deemed prudent. Changes to the operations must be seriously considered only when there’s evidence the change will help conditions. We are very aware that if operating conditions do not meet the needs of commuters, they will not use the facility.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us. We strongly believe that the I-95/I-395 HOV facility is one of the most successful in the country and we would like to keep it that way. We will continue to monitor the facility and modify operations as warranted.

Sincerely,

K. E. Lantz, Jr., P. E.
Transportation Planning Engineer

cc: Mr. T. A. Farley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic