Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We've Been Advertising in AM slug Lines...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugasaBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We've Been Advertising in AM slug Lines...
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:24pm
Hey Fellow Sluggers,

My husband and I just started a new venture early last year. We've been parking our van in the morning slug line (away from all the action - just in view of everyone drivers and riders). I am a slug and thought this was a great captive audience.

Any feedback on if you think this is a good idea or not? Also, any ideas on ways to advertise to my fellow slugs since this board does not allow it and you'll notice I haven't mentioned the name of the "venture"?

Thanks fellow slugs.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:30am
I dont get it, are you looking for permission to advertise and take up a much needed parking space in one of the jammed commuter lots?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 11:32am
Bug,
With respect, here's my two cents ... Your parking a van plastered with advertising, posting a sign on a pole, or putting flyers on windshields in a commuter lot doesn't really bother me (unless that's unlawful).
But if you plan to subject slugs or drivers to a sales pitch we didn't ask for during a slug ride, or while we're standing in a slug line, I would find that very offensive.[V] In my mind, that would be a major breach of sluggin' etiquette. [B)]

Good luck on your "venture". [:)]
SlugasaBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugasaBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 1:25pm
getmehome pweeze- No, I'm not asking for permission to advertise on the site. I am asking thoughts on parking our van in the lots as an advertising idea (not in a parking space that could be occupied by a potential commuter, btw).

sluDgE - thanks for the feedback - no plans to doing any pitching to folks in the line - As a slug, I wouldn't want that either. It's just a visual thing - trying to get the name out to as many people as we can.

Thanks to you both
sluggie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 3:56pm
I might be wrong, but I thought that the commuter lots maintained by VDOT do not allow solicitation. While we all get occassional flyers on our cars, I thought this was illegal. Would be annoyed standing in the slug line having to look at a big advertisement on the side of a truck illegally parked. You said you're not taking up a space, then what space are you legally parked in?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugasaBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 10:18pm
I will call VDOT in the morning to check on the legalities. Also, I normally slug from Bob's and I know that lot is not regulated by "VDOT" and has plenty of space (no parking for slugs in the actual lot where we pick up riders); therefore, it was misassumption on my part. I assumed all lots were created equal.

Once I confirm with VDOT about the commuter lot situaton and find out if there is a way to park or stage our truck without occupying a parking space or interrupting the lines. We'll figure it out.

So far from Bob's, we've gotten 5 customers and they've all been extremely happy with us - in fact, we've gotten amazing in-kind goodies and cash as tips from our slug customers.

I am glad I decided to ask - you've given us alot to consider as we try to be creative in our advertising in this tough economy.

Thanks again for the feedback.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugasaBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 10:22pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluggie

I might be wrong, but I thought that the commuter lots maintained by VDOT do not allow solicitation. While we all get occassional flyers on our cars, I thought this was illegal. Would be annoyed standing in the slug line having to look at a big advertisement on the side of a truck illegally parked. You said you're not taking up a space, then what space are you legally parked in?

Not sure what you mean here? I never wrote that we were "parked" in a space - just inside the lot away from the lines - it works at Bob's but for some others that don't have "open" space like Bob's (Old Circuit City Lot), I can see the confusion.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:12am
Sign at Horner Road says, "Park in Designated parking spaces ONLY"

Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:49am
If your not parked in a space, your parked illegally. Slug lots are for commuters, to park and ride. You may want to "advertise" somewhere where you are not interfering with this routine.

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugasaBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:37pm
getmehome, I respectfully disagree and do believe your logic is flawed. I'm not sure if you were taking a shot at "my" manners but thinking your way, our slug lot would be considered totally illegal in its own right as we are not authorized to use someone else's property without their permission. Some commuter lots are indeed operated by the state and some were created by innovative slugs/commuters who wanted to end the congestion of the rush hour traffic. As I previously stated, it is not our intention to disrupt parking, spaces, etc. - it is an idea - thank you for your feedback, it has been noted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic