Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Appeal for change...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsbrkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Appeal for change...
    Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 11:36am
APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I have participated in the slugging and driving to DC since 1996, and I have seen a lot of changes since then. Unfortunately, due to my job relocating to an area in DC where there is no metro stations, I usually drive. But, I am concerned about the lack of compassion slugs have for drivers, especially in these poor economic times.

Because of our poor economy, I have cut down on my driving considerably, making sure my tires are filled properly and keep the weight low in my car. I have heard this saves on gas. This means I only take two riders, unless the weather is very bad, then I will take one more. However, I have gotten some flack about this practice from riders.

I find it disturbing that some people who can afford to buy luxury cars and dress in expensive suits complaining about anything, when someone who can afford much less is driving them for free.
I realize everyone has their own economic challenges, but most are only concerned about only their own issues without regard for the drivers.

I had one man ride in my car and complain that my car was not a good quality brand. He said “What do you expect, it’s only a ---------“, tipping me off that he had a more expensive car. This was confirmed when I dropped him off at the commuter lot and saw him walk to his Mercedes. It bothered me that he could afford to buy that car, but needed to get a free ride from someone like me who struggles to make ends meet.

Another man rode with me and said he could not afford to drive to work everyday because he had a very large truck that used a lot of gas and a motor home. I asked him if he would consider getting rid of those vehicles so he could afford to drive. He said he thought he could get rid of the motor home. My point is that most of us are very pampered and cannot afford things because we are not living within our means. If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

To fill you in on my own situation, I have gone through some personal challenges within the last few years that have affected my income and budget. I had to buy two cars within 5 years, because one was a lemon and the other was hit by a hit and run driver and was totaled right outside my house. I became a single parent and was laid off from my higher paying job. I had to find work, so found a job that pays a lot less than my previous job.

Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”. I never ask anyone for donations. A few compassionate people have dropped in a dollar or two, for which I was very grateful. I realize this is not mandatory.

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation. I told her that the lighter the car, with less riders, the better the gas mileage. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about
mentioning the gas donation. I explained that it was not mandatory, but if I am taking more riders, it would be nice. The argument escalated and she got out of the car. Immediately, I picked up two other riders.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all. The slugs benefit much more than the drivers. Slug lines only work in Virginia, because they have been going on since the 1970’s, or so I am told. Folks in Maryland and Washington DC think it is absurd to get in a car with a stranger and that the driver gives slugs a ride for free. The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days. The driver not only has to pay for the gas, ware and tear on their car, but also the liability if there is ever an accident.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged. I know whenever I ride as a slug, I would be happy to give the driver a dollar or two. I imagine that most of the slugs that most object to donating a couple dollars for gas, probably pay more for a cup of coffee in the morning. So, its not that most folks don’t have it. (I make coffee at work to save money.)

I would like to see the slugs and drivers work as a team or a community, not against each other. Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 11:52am
Originally posted by lsbrkmn

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I think the issue of "gas donations" has been discussed more than enough on this website, and - if you read those posts - it is clear that there is no unified view. I doubt we will come to consensus this time, so I propose to just leave this issue alone.

But I would like to say a couple of things about slugs. Mind you, I have been slugging 4 days a week until this year when I started driving all the time (at least for now), so I think I have enough insights from both sides. I do notice that I get more .....hmmmmm.... not-so-polite slugs recently. Examples? I had two women in my car in the back seat taclking their heads off all the way from 14/Const to the Mixing Bowl, where I finally got tired of it and POLITELY asked them to continue their conversation after they get to the parking lot, since neither me nor the gentleman in the front seat were interested in their office gossip. Today I had someone give me hard time because I said I am taking only 2 slugs; yet, the person proceeded opening my back door and trying to get in telling me that "there is space here." And then, last week I had a lady who got on the phone as soon as I left the slug line and who stayed on the phone until she got out in DC. I am sure I am not the only one dealing with these issues, but I did not increase of "annoying" instances in the slug system.

All I am suggesting that we try to be a bit more civilized people - whether driving or slugging.. Is it too much?
Woodbridge Mike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:23pm
lsbrkmn and Oxi,

First, thank you for driving. I am sorry you have had some unappreciative and poor sluggers. I hope you remember them so you can skip them the next time they are in the front of the line. I couldn't ever imagine telling a driver that they had a bad car. The only time I see cell phone use being acceptable is if there is an accident/delay causing a brief call to the office/daycare. And taking an extra is the driver's decision alone, no bargaining.

Anyway, as Oxi said, there is not consensus on payment/donations. However, all drivers who feel like they're getting a bum deal need to take a good look at the local lanes. Time and gas savings are your compensation. You only drive sluggers because that extra 15 minutes sleep in the morning and 20 minutes time with your kids in the evening is worth picking up 1 or 2 strangers. You save gas by not idling down 95 & 66 at 10mph in the local lanes. You do get something out of the deal.

I usually slug in the morning and take commuter bus in the afternoon (virtually no one picks up sluggers after HOV opens up at 6- too early in my view). Slugging in the afternoon costs me time, thus I pay the $4 Omniride fare to get to Woodbridge sooner. Slugging in the mornings is usually a wash in terms of commute time, or else I would use the bus then, too.

lsbrkmn, I would give you one piece of advice, though. You are welcome to have a gas tip jar in your car. However, don't ask for tips, even if there's a rude slugger who wants you to take an extra. Just reply, "Only two riders. My car, my call." All decent sluggers respect that decision.

-Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:15pm
Hi lsbrkmn. DC and MD residents have it a little easier than VA residents in commuting to DC:

For some DC residents, public transportation is a quick commute to their jobs downtown (with the exception of residents who live in Southeast DC).

MD residents have a number of major routes to get into DC (New Hampshire, Connecticut, Wisconsin Avenues to name a few)

VA residents have a choice between 2 bridges to get into DC (14th St. or Memorial)

You may not like how the current slug system works, but it does benefit both drivers and riders.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:41am
Here we go again ... pay or don't pay to slug -- it's become about as polarizing as other hot-button issues (gun contol, abortion, immigration, etc.)

Agree that any financial contribution from slugs should be voluntary for those who want to help out a driver, and that drivers and slugs should be considerate and polite to one another. But also think if getting no money and having to endure personally unacceptable slug traits are too unbearable for a driver in view of the reduction of commute time, the driver can simply vote with his/her car -- and NOT pick up slugs. There are commuting alternatives.

Sluggin' requires mutual respect, "give-and-take", and compromise.
If you can't, then don't!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 8:44am
Don't try to fix a system that isn't broken. Remember that when the HOT lanes come, there will be a significant financial incentive for drivers picking up slugs and the slugs might decide that they want their "tip" money back before getting in your car.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:17pm
WoodbridgeMike- I totally agree with you. I too slug in the AM, and bus in the PM. Unlucky for me, only Martz goes to Stafford and beyond, so bus tickets are about 18 dollars each way.

lsbrkmn- I understand your frustration. I too get angry when I see Hummers, Oversized pickups, and my total fave- brand new Corvette's parked at the commuter lot. Seriously- you can afford THAT car but not to drive once in a while? Really?

Slugging started as a free system, it should stay a free system.

FYI- My husband and I both commute to DC FT to afford our modest townhome, our ONE car we just finished paying off, and FT daycare. I do not live outside my means, and WILL NOT tip a driver- EVER.

BTW- I say good morning, thank you, and am always quiet in cars.

Slug'n till 2013 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 12:13am
quote:
Originally posted by Oxi

Originally posted by lsbrkmn

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I think the issue of "gas donations" has been discussed more than enough on this website, and - if you read those posts - it is clear that there is no unified view. I doubt we will come to consensus this time, so I propose to just leave this issue alone.

But I would like to say a couple of things about slugs. Mind you, I have been slugging 4 days a week until this year when I started driving all the time (at least for now), so I think I have enough insights from both sides. I do notice that I get more .....hmmmmm.... not-so-polite slugs recently. Examples? I had two women in my car in the back seat taclking their heads off all the way from 14/Const to the Mixing Bowl, where I finally got tired of it and POLITELY asked them to continue their conversation after they get to the parking lot, since neither me nor the gentleman in the front seat were interested in their office gossip. Today I had someone give me hard time because I said I am taking only 2 slugs; yet, the person proceeded opening my back door and trying to get in telling me that "there is space here." And then, last week I had a lady who got on the phone as soon as I left the slug line and who stayed on the phone until she got out in DC. I am sure I am not the only one dealing with these issues, but I did not increase of "annoying" instances in the slug system.

All I am suggesting that we try to be a bit more civilized people - whether driving or slugging.. Is it too much?

Oxi,

I have told people to turn off the phone in my vehicle. Bottom line is that I do not want to listen to them (loudly or quietly) yakking on the phone. It distracts me from safely driving. I will grant an exception if they ask and it is important...but catching up on gossip is a no-go in my book.

As for gas-donations, I see it as purely voluntary. It is a symbiotic relationship. Slug gets to work relatively quickly w/o using mass transit, driver gets to work quickly w/o utilizing mainlines. Both know what they're getting into when they pick-up/get in. Donations are NOT required nor should anyone feel compelled to contribute.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:33pm
It is NOT a symbiotic relationship for the third slug. Seems like drivers have every right to charge for the extra - and if no one wants to pay, then the driver only takes 2.
Oxi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 2:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

It is NOT a symbiotic relationship for the third slug. Seems like drivers have every right to charge for the extra - and if no one wants to pay, then the driver only takes 2.

Personally, I would not go that far. :-) But would definitely appreciate no comments on my decision not to take the 3rd slug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic