Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Striped lines and crazy morning people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 10:52am
Yes I believe that 123 will become a future slug site. But until then we all have to make the best of what we have at horner.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 11:02am
quote:
Originally posted by avalanche22
[br]All I can say this morning (6/2/04) is that I'm parked in the striped line. I got to the parking lot at 7:25 and yes the parking spaces already at 7:15 where gone. Come on now. Where do you expect people that get to the slug lot after 7:30 to park? Anyone that has a problem with it would say go to another lot. But are you going to be the one giving me a ride back home? Are you going to be the one giving me a ride to work? I think not.

Now I'm open to suggestions but they have to be reasonable. Oh for those of you having problems with people parking in stripped lines, I guess you have a problem with people parking behind the bus stops too.

We all have one thing on our mind. And that thing is to get to work. So everybody let's go to work come home in the afternoon and take your time getting out of the slug lots. It's not the Daytona 500. Just take your time and we all can be happy...

For the lady that wanted to yell at you (shahedc). Better you than me. Because police would have been in the area if it was me. She would of yelled but I would have rolled the window up and blasted my music. I would have went Old school and pulled out NWA and let her hear every word they had to say. Oh I would have been on her mind all day.

It's true. This morning the parking lot was used full capacity. That includes curbsides and stripped lines spots.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 12:41pm
tdar20, I didn't park in a handicapped zone, that is a totally different issue.

I wear a wrist splint and a back support belt, and I am surely not in great comfort driving around. But I think there are more people who need those handicapped parking spots, so I would never park there.

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:47pm
The handicapped zone is not that far off the point. What if an emergency vehicle needed to get through there and since your blocking the path.....what then? Those zones were put there for a reason and it is not to park in. I go back to my earlier point, leaver earlier so you can get a legal parking spot.
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:56pm
What time is early? If my day starts at 8:30 why do I need to be in the slug lot at 7:00 AM. If it’s not me parking in the stripped area it will be somebody else that get to the lot after 7:45. Best believe if there were enough spaces at Horner than there won’t be any illegal parking. So until they expand Horner again, we will always have this issue.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 4:27pm
tdar20, my striped area is far away from the handicapped zone, and is not blocking the road.

yes, it would be more difficult for a fire engine to get in there and make turns, but if that were my intention, i would not accomplish anything by not parking in that spot.

i will try to get to the lot earlier to find a real parking spot, but for those of us who are going as early as they can and still not finding a spot, what else can they do? you tell me...
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 5:05pm
How did this drift from strips to blue signed handicapped parking? Lets stay of topic.

Cheers,

Glacier
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:06am
Question... If the stripes were painted yellow, would you still park there?

IMHO, and at the risk of stirring up a real BIG hornet's nest, the issue of illegal parking, whether on white stripes or along the curb, is just another indicator of the "me first" mentality that permeates this area. And yes, I'll admit that I get it myself sometimes, but I hope it doesn't manifest itself in ways that could possibly endanger others.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:38am
Ronin,

I left my VDOT manual at home. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the colors? Thanks for the assist.

Cheers,

Glacier
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:41am
I think this is analagous to going faster than the speed limit when everyone is doing so at a reasonably safe speed. Sure,it's illegal, but then, say the speed limit is 55, and everyone is comfortably going 65, it makes sense to go at that speed. It gets everyone there faster, and is preventing a long line of cars from backing up.

If you choose to stay at 55, that's fine, stay over to the right, and let people pass. No cop in his right mind will stop you if you are moving safely with the flow of traffic.

Getting back to the striped parking spots... you arrive at the lot (even earlier than you have to be), and still there are no parking spots. What do you do?

At a crowded movie theater, you can't just sit on the steps if the seats are all taken. But that's just a movie. People need to get to work in the morning, and if there are no spots, they should be able to take the striped spots if they don't have any other choice.

There were two police cars in the lot yesterday, and no one got a ticket. I'm sure they understand the challenge by now. The solution is to create more parking spaces in the surrounding or nearby area.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic