Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Striped lines and crazy morning people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:42am
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Ronin,

I left my VDOT manual at home. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the colors? Thanks for the assist.

Cheers,

Glacier

The way I learned it way back when, it's similar to lane markings. Yellow means don't park or drive there, white allows for driving over them (hence the markings for emergency access routes).
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:43am
Yellow is for emergency vehicles only. Like ambulances, fire trucks and similars.
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:02am
shahedc

I agree with you 110% on both your answers. I just wish the people that complain understood how us sluggers feel once we arrive to a over crowed parking lot. We all have the same goals ever morning. GETTING TO WORK!!!!

Bottom line we need more parking spaces.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:07am
quote:
Originally posted by avalanche22
[br]shahedc

I agree with you 110% on both your answers. I just wish the people that complain understood how us sluggers feel once we arrive to a over crowed parking lot. We all have the same goals ever morning. GETTING TO WORK!!!!

Bottom line we need more parking spaces.

Oh, I'm sure most everyone, drivers and slugs, understand the feeling of not being able to find a parking spot. It's simply a choice of what's more important, self or community. Around here, the answer frequently seems to be self.
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:10am
If you think it's ok to park in the striped area, why not park along the curb, in the handicap spot, in the fire lane..... When did it become ok to pick what rules/laws we want to break? Once again, this comes back to taking responsibility for our own actions.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:11am
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Ronin,

I left my VDOT manual at home. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is the difference between the colors? Thanks for the assist.

Cheers,

Glacier

The way I learned it way back when, it's similar to lane markings. Yellow means don't park or drive there, white allows for driving over them (hence the markings for emergency access routes).

For further clarification... I realize this comes from WA State DMV (where I learned to drive), but I'm sure this applies in some form nationwide:

"Other parking restrictions may be indicated by signs or curbs painted:

white - indicates that only short stops are permitted,
yellow/red - indicates a loading zone or some other restriction. "
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:28am
ronin718, you haven't addressed the issue. What would you do to serve the community when you find no parking spots? Where would you park? Even if I am early, there will be always be people after me who don't get parking spots? Where would they park? I would not mind if they parked safely within striped areas.

If it's community you care about, are we not all a part of the community? Surely the same person who is early every day may be late on a different day... or vice versa. We need to act as a community and cut everyone some slack.

Either way, do you support that woman's right to yell out at a stranger first thing in the morning?
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:41am
If you cant get there early enough to find a legal spot then you pick up a slug and drive in. Or you take the train in. Saying that just because you are late allows you to park illegally is not a very sound argument and I am sure the police officer would smile at that excuse. The real issue is the lack of spots and that really needs to be fixed. This contributes to the overcrowding on the HOV lanes also. The growth around here is astronomical and shows no sign of slowing down. As for the person that yelled at you, well maybe one day somebody blocked her in and she had to wait for an extended time before she could move her car. Never know what set her off but your actions seemed to be the trigger. As for my own personal experience, I have never encountered a parking problem. At 6 am there are tons of spots left.
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:53am
quote:
Originally posted by tdar20
[br]If you cant get there early enough to find a legal spot then you pick up a slug and drive in. Or you take the train in. Saying that just because you are late allows you to park illegally is not a very sound argument and I am sure the police officer would smile at that excuse. The real issue is the lack of spots and that really needs to be fixed. This contributes to the overcrowding on the HOV lanes also. The growth around here is astronomical and shows no sign of slowing down. As for the person that yelled at you, well maybe one day somebody blocked her in and she had to wait for an extended time before she could move her car. Never know what set her off but your actions seemed to be the trigger. As for my own personal experience, I have never encountered a parking problem. At 6 am there are tons of spots left.

I'm in my second dream at 6 AM. Come on now. Most people work day don't start until 8:30. Why do I need to be in the parking lot at 6 AM if I don't need to be at work until 8:30. Get real here. my day starts at 8:30 to 5:00 . not 6 AM to 5. Don't love my job that much to give them a extra 2 hours of my life.

As for the lady that yelled. You don't do that now day's. anything could happen. She could make the 5:00 PM news. People have different ways of dealing with stuff. If she ran across somebody that deals with their issues by carrying a gun she won't have anything to say.

You have to think before you act on your emotion. It may be your life on the line.

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:06am
I would love for someone (preferrably a female) to yell at me like that. I once had a female do that to me (a completely unrelated situation) and ever since then I carry around a small little 2-pill pack of Midol so I can hand it off to the next woman that yells at me like that. Rude? Probably. But female-to-female, she'll get the point...

It would be funnier if it were a male, I think...haha[:D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic