Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Striped lines and crazy morning people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:12am
there u go mirangus, that's a good idea. :-)

if i only i could identify the now infamous "crazy morning lady", i would point her out to you.

if word gets around, she'll know who she is.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:16am
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]ronin718, you haven't addressed the issue. What would you do to serve the community when you find no parking spots? Where would you park? Even if I am early, there will be always be people after me who don't get parking spots? Where would they park? I would not mind if they parked safely within striped areas.

If it's community you care about, are we not all a part of the community? Surely the same person who is early every day may be late on a different day... or vice versa. We need to act as a community and cut everyone some slack.

Either way, do you support that woman's right to yell out at a stranger first thing in the morning?

1. My options here are: (a) find a designated parking spot or a non-illegal (unmarked, unpainted) spot that does not impede traffic within the confines of the lot; (b) try to find a legal parking spot nearby; or (c) adjust my timing to arrive early enough to get a designated spot. (Fortunately, my job allows that flexibility for hours.)

2. Cut everyone some slack? If we were to allow every driver whose time is too important to be bothered with finding a legitimate parking spot, there would be utter chaos in the lot. And when does person A's time become more important than person B's? Why should the community allow the few to ignore the dictates that outline the common good because it's not convenient? Where do you draw the line? Maybe I'm going to extremes here, but at what point is illegal activity no longer acceptable? Today it's okay to block emergency access routes and double park because it's too inconvenient to walk a couple of blocks or get up 15 minutes earlier. Tomorrow it's okay to block the intersection because I can't wait for the next light cycle. Next week I'll ignore the little old woman having her purse snatched because the thief needs the money. I know, extreme, but again, where do you draw the line? The community has laws and guidelines to benefit the many, perhaps at the expense of the few. Welcome to democracy 101.

3. No, I don't support the woman yelling at you forever. However, I might have made a passing comment myself. That's called community policing, where the community addresses issues where members step out of line. Society used to do a much better job of it ("it takes a community to raise a child"), and we weren't worried about metal detectors in schools. But that's another topic.

On a side note, this forum is a manner of community policing. We identify issues in the slugging community and work to resolve them. If sluggers get out of line, we berate them (cell phones, talkers, etc.). If drivers are out of line, we berate (and sometimes identify) them for the community. It's all for the good of the community.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:23am
quote:
Originally posted by avalanche22
I'm in my second dream at 6 AM. Come on now. Most people work day don't start until 8:30. Why do I need to be in the parking lot at 6 AM if I don't need to be at work until 8:30. Get real here. my day starts at 8:30 to 5:00 . not 6 AM to 5. Don't love my job that much to give them a extra 2 hours of my life.

It's called "first-come first-served." Kind of like going to Tysons the day after Thanksgiving, or trying to show up at the last minute for a Redskins game. The people who showed up first got the better spaces, and if they run out....c'est la vie.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:34am
ronin718, the best response so far. You addressed all the issues, came up with viable alternatives, and best of all, you don't support the yelling. :-)

I'm going to try and get up earlier from now on... but there will still be so many many people parked illegally every day, without a doubt. I hope we can get newer parking spots made in that area.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 12:17pm
It's going to be a no-win situation for people who wake up late, drive to the commuter lot and slug. The reasons the lots are full is because people get there early for the parking. Most know that a certain time is out of bounds and all spaces are gone. You're taking a chance getting to a commuter lot at 8:30 and expect to park legally. Even tho the local government didn't predict the influx of new residents, its no excuse to park in an area not reserved for parking.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 12:44pm
I agree with vabigblue. Also, it tells authorities that Horner Rd. is becoming very popular for all the residents in that area.
There are more people from Frederickburg and Stafford that park in Horner Rd. Also, people that used to park in other lots are becoming clients of Horner Rd.
Authorities should start thinking about expanding the lot to fullfil the demand of parking spaces.
When they opened the new parking lots I used to get at Horner Rd. by 7:15am. Sometimes I arrived there by 7:45 or 8:00am and still could find an empty parking space close to where the bus stops are. And I considered it too far away.?!
Now I'm lucky if I could find an empty parking space at the very end, close to Telegraph, if I get there at the same time.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 12:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I agree with vabigblue. Also, it tells authorities that Horner Rd. is becoming very popular for all the residents in that area.
There are more people from Frederickburg and Stafford that park in Horner Rd. Also, people that used to park in other lots are becoming clients of Horner Rd.
Authorities should start thinking about expanding the lot to fullfil the demand of parking spaces.
When they opened the new parking lots I used to get at Horner Rd. by 7:15am. Sometimes I arrived there by 7:45 or 8:00am and still could find an empty parking space close to where the bus stops are. And I considered it too far away.?!
Now I'm lucky if I could find an empty parking space at the very end, close to Telegraph, if I get there at the same time.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 12:54pm
Perhaps there's more than one answer here. Horner Rd. is popular because of the slug infrastructure. Rather than just expand the parking (which would mean reducing parking initially for the construction), how about expansion into other areas:

1. As was previously mentioned, maybe a slug zone at Rt. 123.
2. Build P&R lots at locations further south with access to the HOV lanes, and institute slug zones at these locations. This would benefit folks who come all the way to Horner for the ride.

Anyone care to add to the list?
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 1:08pm
There's a slug system at Route 123. Unfortunately, it's not as popular as Horner Rd. Why? I have a friend that goes to Route 123 in the afternoons. She leaves from work earlier that I do. However, when I get to the slug-line, she is there and the funny thing is that I get a ride and she is still very far from the begining of the line.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]There's a slug system at Route 123. Unfortunately, it's not as popular as Horner Rd. Why? I have a friend that goes to Route 123 in the afternoons. She leaves from work earlier that I do. However, when I get to the slug-line, she is there and the funny thing is that I get a ride and she is still very far from the begining of the line.

emancilla-where is the line for 123 (afternoons)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic