Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Striped lines and crazy morning people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Striped lines and crazy morning people
    Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:04am
Sometimes I can't find a parking spot in the lot, so I park in a striped spot. It's not that I really want to, I just don't see a single parking spot, so I've done it, along with everyone else who's done the same thing.

I haven't gotten a ticket (yet) for this, so I'm assuming that this is acceptable when the lots are full? Sort of like speeding to move with the flow of traffic?

But this morning was a little different: one woman who had just parked really really far away was walking up the sidewalk and started yelling and screaming at me for parking in that spot. I calmly told her that if she was having a bad morning, she shouldn't take it out on someone else. So let's just get to work and do something productive instead. But she chose to yell at me instead.

She yelled till she was hoarse, and complained that cars in the striped areas cause her grief when she pulls out in the afternoon. I would think that the cars along the curb would be in your way, but the cars on the striped zones?

Anyway, it seemed like she was just out to pick a fight. (Everyone else seemed normal, and familiar faces smiled and waved.) I hope she's at least having a good day at work, and not yelling at her co-workers for leaving the faucet running or being a minute late for a meeting.

Thoughts?
lobrien View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:14am
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]Sometimes I can't find a parking spot in the lot, so I park in a striped spot. It's not that I really want to, I just don't see a single parking spot, so I've done it, along with everyone else who's done the same thing.

I haven't gotten a ticket (yet) for this, so I'm assuming that this is acceptable when the lots are full? Sort of like speeding to move with the flow of traffic?

But this morning was a little different: one woman who had just parked really really far away was walking up the sidewalk and started yelling and screaming at me for parking in that spot. I calmly told her that if she was having a bad morning, she shouldn't take it out on someone else. So let's just get to work and do something productive instead. But she chose to yell at me instead.

She yelled till she was hoarse, and complained that cars in the striped areas cause her grief when she pulls out in the afternoon. I would think that the cars along the curb would be in your way, but the cars on the striped zones?

Anyway, it seemed like she was just out to pick a fight. (Everyone else seemed normal, and familiar faces smiled and waved.) I hope she's at least having a good day at work, and not yelling at her co-workers for leaving the faucet running or being a minute late for a meeting.

Thoughts?

Liz
merveilleu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merveilleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:15am
I too am inclined to think that the woman was having a particularly bad morning and it had nothing to do with you. I hope that your day improves.

I think the woman completely overreacted and should have kept her mouth closed. Her outburst was inexcusable.
hotvaf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotvaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:18am
While parking in the striped spots can be inconvienent for some - the outburst was way out of line. Now the double parkers in the striped zones, that gets my dander up.
lobrien View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:29am
I can understand her frustration, however I would never proceed to yell at someone about it. Good gracious it's just a parking lot for heaven sake.
I've seen some strange things in the parking lot between 6 and 6:30am. I've seen people park in the striped lines even when there are entire rows of parking available. I just think to myself that particular person is lazy and move on to the line. Which they are since the lot isn't even full yet.
I would say this to those that park on the striped lines,it's illegal and, in the afternoons, those cars parked on the striped lines are awfully hard to get around since cars are parked against the curb as well.. People who park there create an obstacle course that rivals the ones I had to drive through during driver's ed in high school.
I hate to sound like my mother but we should all try to be considerate of our fellow commuters.

Liz
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:38am
Thanks for the support you all.

I read RoadRunner's suggested topic, and I think that problems are caused by people on the curb, or double-parked on the striped zones. I am parked in a striped zone in an area where you would never have to drive over that area, so I am not blocking anyone's path.

Either way, yelling at someone in the morning is more disturbing than parking and driving any day. Now that should be made illegal. :-)
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 9:57am
Good point RoadRunner, I'm sure all these other reasons are valid. Trust me, if I found another spot in the lot, I would. Driving around with a wrist splint on my hand and a back support belt is not a particularly pleasurable experience for me. I guess I just have to try harder to get up a little earlier in the morning and find a good spot.

Sometimes we let people merge in from an exit lane, when we know they took that lane just to jump ahead. Sometimes we let people speed and we move over to the right so that they can pass us. Let's all just give each other a break once in a while, and not go ballistic.

Reminds me of the cafeteria "bouncer" in my college, who would not let me take a donut out of the cafeteria, because the rule book said so. She made me dump it in the garbage, rather than eat it on the way out.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 10:30am
You should not park there. There is a reason it is a striped zone. Just like people who park in handicapped spots when they do not have a sticker. As a father of a handicapped child nothing gets me madder than watching someone parked in a spot that I need to unload his wheelchair when that dont have a sticker to legally park there. What if you block an emergency vehicle one day? Gettign there earlier is a much better answer than blocking access for others.
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 10:34am
All I can say this morning (6/2/04) is that I'm parked in the striped line. I got to the parking lot at 7:25 and yes the parking spaces already at 7:15 where gone. Come on now. Where do you expect people that get to the slug lot after 7:30 to park? Anyone that has a problem with it would say go to another lot. But are you going to be the one giving me a ride back home? Are you going to be the one giving me a ride to work? I think not.

Now I'm open to suggestions but they have to be reasonable. Oh for those of you having problems with people parking in stripped lines, I guess you have a problem with people parking behind the bus stops too.

We all have one thing on our mind. And that thing is to get to work. So everybody let's go to work come home in the afternoon and take your time getting out of the slug lots. It's not the Daytona 500. Just take your time and we all can be happy...

For the lady that wanted to yell at you (shahedc). Better you than me. Because police would have been in the area if it was me. She would of yelled but I would have rolled the window up and blasted my music. I would have went Old school and pulled out NWA and let her hear every word they had to say. Oh I would have been on her mind all day.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 10:45am
I realize this might be a long-term issue; however, do you believe, based on what's written so far, if VDOT will expand the Horner lot or will they suggest and probably enforce parking at the "not so much used" 123 lot? I've got a feeling that with the number of violations, no matter how legal or illegal it seems, the 123 lot may become a future slug site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic