Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Users

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:42pm
I guess I could do that....but that's what I hate...When I'm put in an awkward situation. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking someone to get off/limit their phone conversation. I wouldn't blast the music, and sometimes I just "act" like i'm turning it up, especially if they're in the front seat. Oh well.....live and learn, huh?[^]

quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]Or....You could just turn around and ask them to stop talking on the cell phone in your car....That's just me...

If you yourself are riding, well, you get what you pay for...

Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:10pm
For fear of repeating myself....oh wait, I am.....

Is it possible that some of these sluggers may not know the rules? I think that maybe it's assumed that folks know or at least share the knowledge of the "slug", but from the sounds of some of the latest message boards, some have been been missed. I'll bet MOST slugs/drivers don't even know this website exists. My suggestion -- print up a few flyers, start a few down the slug line in the morning (ie, when you're done reading the short blip, hand it to the next person). Include things like "the top 10 rules (whatever those might be) for slugging (or driving)", a few do's & don't, and then put a plug in for this website. Bet you'll get a few "ah-ha's" --
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:42pm
I agree....I don't think 75% of the slugging population knows this website exists...It's a shame too, because it makes matters very convenient, and having been party to losing my cell phone while slugging, I wish that driver had posted it on the lost and found..

And in reference to the cell phone problem, ironically enough I got a talker that carried a conversation for about 10 minutes before I asked her to get off....Don't get me wrong...it was an awkward situation, but I quickly got over it when I was once again enjoying the silence of the afternoon commute....
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:37pm
Okay....so how'd you say it.....Um....excuse me, but I think it's rude for you to hold a conversation in my car??? Yikes!!!! What did you say?

quote:
[br]I agree....I don't think 75% of the slugging population knows this website exists...It's a shame too, because it makes matters very convenient, and having been party to losing my cell phone while slugging, I wish that driver had posted it on the lost and found..

And in reference to the cell phone problem, ironically enough I got a talker that carried a conversation for about 10 minutes before I asked her to get off....Don't get me wrong...it was an awkward situation, but I quickly got over it when I was once again enjoying the silence of the afternoon commute....

Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:03am
quote:
Originally posted by PSMITH4780
[br]WoW - I never could understand why all the complaints about people using there cell phones on the ride in/home.....until yesterday that is. How can people be so rude?

It's one thing to make that short - "I'll be there in 10 minutes" or take that short "your lunch money in on the counter" - but do people really need to spend 45 minutes on a "very personal" (at points she even whispered - private stuff) phone call with two strangers being forced to listen?

I'm not sure how to handle this in the future.....but I do know that I do not want to have another trip listening to another call like that!!!

One guy had the Verizon phone that makes a loud beep each time he completed a sentence. The beep is really LOUD.

After 5 minutes I had to tell him to cease and desist...

Live Long and Prosper
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 9:03am
I rather simply asked "Would you mind holding your conversation at a different juncture?" She shot a dirty, somewhat puzzled look my way, and then swiftly ended the conversation. It was thirty seconds of awkwardness, for thirty minutes of peace. Pretty fair trade if you ask me......
krr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:52pm
I actually like your solution - that is to turn up the volume a little here and there. It does work most of the time and you don't have to worry about the recipient's reaction.

quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]I guess I could do that....but that's what I hate...When I'm put in an awkward situation. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking someone to get off/limit their phone conversation. I wouldn't blast the music, and sometimes I just "act" like i'm turning it up, especially if they're in the front seat. Oh well.....live and learn, huh?[^]

quote:
[br]Or....You could just turn around and ask them to stop talking on the cell phone in your car....That's just me...

If you yourself are riding, well, you get what you pay for...

Rus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:58pm

At first I was going to respond to your question with "No, it has nothing to do with rules. These people who yak continously in public places are self-absorbed and have a need to be talking ALL OF THE TIME." However, you have a good idea considering rules are often needed for and directed at such people.
quote:
Originally posted by Luvmyhybrid
[br]For fear of repeating myself....oh wait, I am.....

Is it possible that some of these sluggers may not know the rules? I think that maybe it's assumed that folks know or at least share the knowledge of the "slug", but from the sounds of some of the latest message boards, some have been been missed. I'll bet MOST slugs/drivers don't even know this website exists. My suggestion -- print up a few flyers, start a few down the slug line in the morning (ie, when you're done reading the short blip, hand it to the next person). Include things like "the top 10 rules (whatever those might be) for slugging (or driving)", a few do's & don't, and then put a plug in for this website. Bet you'll get a few "ah-ha's" --

Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 1:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rus
[br]
At first I was going to respond to your question with "No, it has nothing to do with rules. These people who yak continously in public places are self-absorbed and have a need to be talking ALL OF THE TIME." However, you have a good idea considering rules are often needed for and directed at such people.
quote:
Originally posted by Luvmyhybrid
[br]For fear of repeating myself....oh wait, I am.....

You're right too of course...there are those who do seem to constantly YAK on the phone. It does amaze me that someone has that much to say that much of the time. My tendency is to avoid all phones, and only "YAK" when I need to (family requires some attention), but I make those short and sweet.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 8:27am
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]
Well, here's one solution, though it might be a bit expensive...
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm
- Will

Yesterday, I was mad enough to want to spend the money on this jamming technology. Just as I was drifting off after a hard day, the other slug's cell phone errupted, followed by
Hello?
Joanne, HOW are yewwwwwww?
How's the BAbeeeeeee?
[long, LOUD conversation about business, fabrics, and outdoor furniture, this gleaned even through the fingers I had stuffed in my ears to block it out]
Wellll, I'm on my way hommmmme, so I'll have to let you gooooo.
[another 5 minutes about the BAbeeeeeee, etc.]

I went looking for a cell phone jammer sold by a U.S. firm, only to find out that the technology is illegal here:
www.newhousenews.com/archive/story1a092200.html

Still, next time I am overseas....[;)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic