Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Hybrid drivers on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 4:28pm
Vabigblue.

That's the next big thing. Hybrid SUV's. I think some time this year Ford will release a Escape that will be a Hybrid. But I've seen a few cars on the HOV that have CF plates. I've seen a older unmark police car, Explorer, I even saw a old blazer with CF plates. Not sure if either of them where real CF cars but they had the plates.
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 4:33pm
....and How about the VW Bugs? Are THEY CF vehicles as well? I saw one with the CF Tags, and I was Confused??????[?]
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 5:41pm
Re Ford Explorer and VW:

The CF plates are NOT only for hybrids, contrary to popular perception. CF stands for "Clean Fuel," or "Clean Special Fuel" as it says on the license plate. There are a number of "Clean Fuels" that qualify for the CF plate, some of which are mandated by FEDERAL law. Vehicles powered by compressed natural gas (aka CNG) and propane are two good examples. Electric cars would qualify if there are any around, and presumably hydrogen-powered cars if they ever become practical (I know Mazda has tested a hydrogen-powered RX-8).

I know at least two people who have CNG-powered vehicles with CF plates, but you wouldn't necessarily know it simply from looking at the vehicles (a car and a minivan). So it is possible that the Ford Explorer and the VW in question may be powered by an alternative fuel. (Someone wrote into Dr. Gridlock last fall about an old Mercury with CF tags and Dr. Gridlock essentially accused the person of being a cheater--and wound up with egg on his face when the person wrote in to say that his car was powered by a legitimate clean fuel. Dr. Gridlock apparently thought CF was for hybrids only.) One thing to consider is that many, although not all, CNG- or propane-powered cars may be older vehicles. The reason is that people retrofit older cars to run on these fuels. Because you can't really use these cars for long-distance travel (too hard to find filling stations), they are essentially for commuting purposes only, and it doesn't necessarily make sense to buy an expensive new car for use solely for commuting.

One thing to note, as well, is that Honda has a CNG-powered Civic (the Civic GX) that qualifies for the CF tag. I've seen a few of them on the road around here. Because the CNG exemption for HOV is a matter of federal law, those Civics will continue to qualify for the HOV exemption even if Virginia phases out the exemption for hybrids. Betcha there'll be a lot of people fussing about "those cheaters" when that occurs!
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:03pm
We bought our hybrid for a variety of reasons...first, to answer your question, yes, we're sluggers and drivers. The hybrid purchase was first and foremost because of convenience...avoiding commuter lot traffic when needed, having to get to/from work in an emergency (and yes, in our jobs, it does happen), and the biggest (and most valuable) reason was because of gas consumption. Using less gas is a smart thing for this country to be doing.

PS -- our hybrid goes fast when it needs to ...it's not a poker. Blaming the hybrid for going slow is the WRONG conclusion, unfortunately, it's the owner of the right foot that has all the control.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:39pm
It's nice of so many of you to reply, but back to my original question - How did you commute prior to using a Hybrid?
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 8:46pm
slugging and driving...nothing's changed.
churchlady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote churchlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:12am
DH is still usually carrying 2 (or more) others in the car in the a.m. The hybrid has meant no last minute problems when the third person can't go in. In the p.m. he usually only had 1 passenger and the hybrid makes the arrival home time more predictable. This predictability is important for medical reasons.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:33pm
DC2RV,

Prior to owning a Hybrid, I could NOT work at any of the IT firms in the Dulles corridor. In my line of work, this is the primary locale with open positions. My husband and I live on the Quantico base and without the HOV lanes I couldn't get up there in less than 2 hours. I tried picking up slugs and dropping at the Pentagon, then hitting 110 to 66 to the Toll Road ... but the side tracks ended up taking up as much time as waiting out 95. Additionally, having two kiddos and a Marine hubby means that I need to have a measure of predictability in my commute. My SOLE purpose for buying a Hybrid was for the HOV lanes and the ability to work. We are temporary residents ... by the time the law expires, we hope to be out of here. The residual benefits have also been nice -- tax breaks and gas mileage!!!

Most likely we'll own hybrid vehicles from this point on ... it is nice to fuel up only once every 10 days or so.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]It's nice of so many of you to reply, but back to my original question - How did you commute prior to using a Hybrid?

Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]I think right now most people are buying Hybrid dues to the outrageous gas prices and the extra perk is you get to ride alone,driving straight in to work with out the commuter lot detour can be rather gratifying,On the rare occasions that I get to ride to and from work alone I do feel a bit more relaxed and comfortable, I just put in a good CD and take all that good old I95 has to dish out!

Mrs. B

Someone told me that the Hybrid HOV option will expire soon

Here's what I found. Apparently it expires in July 2006:

http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

Live Long and Prosper
Rus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the website referral. I had no idea that Congress was considering legislation to allow the continued use of hybrids in the HOV lanes even though the HOV Task Force recommended that it is time to get the hybrids out of the exemption. Looks like there is still going to be a battle ahead. Time to write the Congressmen/women.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic