Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Hybrid drivers on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motownldy199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 9:49am
quote:
Originally posted by Rus
[br]Thanks for the website referral. I had no idea that Congress was considering legislation to allow the continued use of hybrids in the HOV lanes even though the HOV Task Force recommended that it is time to get the hybrids out of the exemption. Looks like there is still going to be a battle ahead. Time to write the Congressmen/women.

Before purchasing a hybrid, I took Metro and rode the bus.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 11:33am
KaTaNa,
... love it! But where are this new hybrid's seats to haul 2 slugs when the HOV hybrid exemption expires? LOL ... keep'em coming! [^]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 1:55pm
Lisa Baden, traffic reporter for WTOP et al, has been advertising the Ford Escape Hybrid that was to be release this week.
hopebl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopebl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 3:25pm
Hybrids are really cute cars, but, I think one should think about it long and hard. If everyone goes out and buy hybrids the HOV is going and is getting congested just like the regular lanes.

Granted slugging has its advantages and disadvantages, but, I think HOV has been running smoothly for umteen years. . .now its getting kind of shakey with all the single riders.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 4:11pm
I can't wait to see what happens to all the hybrid drivers if/when the HOV exemption is nixed in '06...betcha the market is gonna positively flood with used hybrids!! We'll see then just who purchase them for their "exceptional gas mileage" and "positive effect on the environment"!!

"Nixed in '06"....hmmmmmm, pretty catchy...I think some politician should latch onto that one...
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 5:17pm
If a car like the Acura TL were available as a hybrid, I'd buy one in an instant when the time comes for a new car, regardless of the HOV thing. My complaint about the current hybrids is that they're all too small (and, in the case of the Prius and the Insight, too ugly). There are persistent rumors of a hybrid Honda Accord coming sometime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hybrid Escape causes Honda to focus on the CR-V instead.
Rosebud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 8:36am
When I drive in each morning I like to get a sense of how many hybrids are in the HOV. Maybe its my imagination, but it seems like they are as abundant as ciccadas. Someone should do a study to see what percentage of HOV cars are hybrids. I can understand why people buy them, no one really like strangers in their car. They should have to take at least one other person... in my opinion.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 8:52am
To be fair with people who drive hybrids, some of them take more than one person. Again, HOV lanes were created to decreased the amount of cars in the highway. Hybrids defeat the purpose if they're occupied by one person.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 11:02am
As emancilla says, some do take or have more than one person and that's a plus. There are a lot of Hybrids driving around on the HOV lanes. A quarter of the vehicle there are probably Hybrids.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 12:20pm
I think a quarter is an exaggeration. But the number has increased dramatically over the past year. Hybrid owners will loose their exemption once there's a hybrid SUV on the market -- NBC4 said last night Ford will have one available by end of summer for about $27-28,000.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic