Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Hybrid drivers on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 3:11pm
The exemption is conditional and if there is such an influx of hybrids on the HOV that the HOV lanes shut down, the exemption could be taken away before then (if the lawmakers, etc. want to actually do work). Yes, it automatically ends in 2006 and there's always the chance it could be extended, but I really don't think it will unless the lawmakers are in the car maker's pocket.
Rosebud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 3:28pm
Can't see it happening that they extend the law. By then the HOV will be predominately all hybrids. What have they solved?
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 3:36pm
Probably in the lawmakers typical short sightedness they weren't thinking that everyone would ditch their normal cars to purchase a fairly small, fairly expensive car just to get on HOV. It was an incentive to get people to purchase more hybrid fuel cars in an attempt to clean up air?? I don't know. I see no reason why the exemption couldn't end (I'm a hybrid owner). I'm also willing to see it end even if it takes out my "free" ride (I travel with two). I like the car now for the gas savings!
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2004 at 12:37pm
The new name for the HOV will be Hybrid Only Vehicles.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2004 at 1:19pm
Max,

Nice one!

Cheers,

Glacier
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2004 at 4:19pm
Not all of us though "ditched" our normal car to get on HOV. I can't tell you how many people I work with, have no "HOV" reason to purchase a Hybrid, yet are. Specifically, I work for a small software development firm with 65 employees that live in NoVA, DC, or MD. Of the 65, TEN have purchased hybrids in the past 2 years ... and only ONE of the ten bought with the HOV lane access as the driving factor (that ONE was me). The other nine bought for the gas mileage or environmental reasons.

Like you, I also like the gas mileage benefit. However, for me, if the HOV exemption were eliminated I would most likely have to quit my job. There's NO WAY, even with slugging, I could commute from Quantico to Reston.

ScarletLSG
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 8:51am
This is an interesting discussion. Hybrids are not cleaner than many non-hybrid cars for one. It would take more than ten years to save enough gas to make up for the huge difference in vehicle cost between a hybrid and a similar non-hybrid.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 11:24am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]This is an interesting discussion. Hybrids are not cleaner than many non-hybrid cars for one. It would take more than ten years to save enough gas to make up for the huge difference in vehicle cost between a hybrid and a similar non-hybrid.

I wonder how long it will take and how many times people will have to say it until it sinks in that hybrids aren't automatically cleaner than other cars? Honda Civic hybrids are dirty compared to a lot other cars.
fugitiveALiEN View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugitiveALiEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2004 at 3:21pm
I originally began my hybrid research to purchase as a multi-faceted justification, mainly to assist me in my commute from fairfax to crystal city. Whenever possible i would meet relatives at my house (in greenbriar) hop on 66 at the stringfellow hov ramp and proceed to shoot up 66 to the glebe road exit where they worked, it was smoooth, and on the days where i couldn't carpool which became often, i started to wonder... and that was just to glebe road, usually i would continue on past the glebe road exit, with my carpoolers, and then have them drive BACK to work due to the fact that the "rest of the way" was still restricted and 29 was crap. Major General Hassle was not what we were all looking for [;)]. Before carpooling that route, generally i would use a combination of going up rt 29 all the way to 110 or rt 50 to 66, then off somewhere along the way at one of the exits when it got bad to come off at 495 and them hop right onto gallows, to 29 to 110. Then other "benefits" or should i say "justifications" kept the incentive to get one. Quick on and off of 66, hov lanes are much quicker, tax writeoff, better gas mileage, the cool gadget/car-nut aspect... etc.

However this was back in 2002.

That all changed over the course of the year or two i was commuting that route, for the most part directly up 66 from stringfellow to rt 110, in just 1 year it went from good to bad to worse. However alternatively i noticed the job market getting better and better, meaning more on the road meant better jobs, better economy, etc, the fact that we're doing so well, yet so bad on the roads is because people have to get to work and more jobs for me to try and get closer to home i hoped ;) Which now i commute to 7 corners, another fiasco, but i am on an alternate shift later in the day.

Since then every time i try to use 66 for hov, it's just ridiculously pointless. In fact towards the end of the good-bad-worse commute on HOV to work in crystal city i would go 5 miles or so out of my way to hop onto the toll-road to avoid the fiasco that is the 495 wall where hardly 1 lane of hov traffic can move because of the ramps at 495 and the extended backups from the other 4 to 3 to just 2 lane disaster at the westmoreland/rt29 exit. Going OUT of my way would cut more than 15 minutes off. I don't attribute it to hybrids, but just more people. Anyhow i've got a much shorter commute now, so if anyone wants to buy a slightly used hybrid let me know, my worst gas budget is still less than my car payment ;) and since my wife isn't working anymore, it's time to say goodbye =)P

http://www.4g64.com/gallery/prius
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 7:09am
I slugged for 2 years.

But since last summer, it became almost impossible to even park at the 234 lot. I was having to go earlier and earlier. Like by 6:20 now. It got ridiculous. I felt like I had no alternative.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic