Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Hybrid drivers on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Hybrid drivers on HOV
    Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 12:39pm
Prior to driving your hybrids how did you commute? I'm just curious to know if previously, you were slug drivers, slug riders, carpoolers, metroriders, etc...

Thanks.

avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 12:43pm
That's a good question DC2RV. I guess some Hybrid drivers/owners think they might be too good to pick up a slug.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 12:48pm
That wasn't my point, but that's been discussed in other topics. I'm just curious as to what they did before.

Cause and effect I guess. One less person in line could mean less of a wait. One less car could mean a longer wait. One less metro rider means more available seating, more of a fair hike, etc...
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 1:41pm
I am *considering* a hybrid vehicle primarily due to the HOV privilege. I don't believe Maryland offers the HOV allowance, though.

And I don't think I'm too good for slugs, but I certainly would enjoy driving straight in to work.
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 2:22pm
I think right now most people are buying Hybrid dues to the outrageous gas prices and the extra perk is you get to ride alone,driving straight in to work with out the commuter lot detour can be rather gratifying,On the rare occasions that I get to ride to and from work alone I do feel a bit more relaxed and comfortable, I just put in a good CD and take all that good old I95 has to dish out!

Mrs. B
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 2:35pm
I think gas played a part and the flexibility. Being a single parent, dealing with the home/school obligations was becoming a real chore. Before I moved farther out, I used to take back roads (Army Navy, etc.) to the 14th Street Bridge. I have commuted every which way in this area -- bus to metro, carpool, driving, etc. I have even used the slug lines. I'm not too good to pick up a slug and will be doing so after summer (kid's camp and all, I won't be on the main highways).

Hey, HOV exemptions will be a thing of the past shortly for Hybrids.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 2:42pm
I also don't recommend the Hybrids solely for the HOV exemptions to my co-workers who ask. There are issues with the hybrids that you really have to want one for other reasons. If you stay away from SUVs and large 6-cylinder cars and mini-vans and the horrendous Hummer, you can do well in gas mileage. I also heard there's now a several month waiting list.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]I think right now most people are buying Hybrid dues to the outrageous gas prices and the extra perk is you get to ride alone,driving straight in to work with out the commuter lot detour can be rather gratifying,On the rare occasions that I get to ride to and from work alone I do feel a bit more relaxed and comfortable, I just put in a good CD and take all that good old I95 has to dish out!

Mrs. B

One metric, number and rate of CF vehicle registrations in NoVA, you will find that the HOV exemption is the more likely reason, ratehr than gas prices. Believe NoVA now has the largest concentration of hybrids outside of SoCal.

- Will
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 3:11pm
Given the numbers on the road, that'll kill the exemption.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2004 at 4:24pm
Yesterday going home, I saw a Ford Explorer with CF plates! What's up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic