Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Take Three" Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Take Three" Etiquette
    Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 6:34am
I received the following email regarding taking three slugs instead of the normal two. I tend to agree but would like the slugging community to comment.

"I have been slugging for four years and a new trend is starting to develop that needs to be nipped in the bud. Many slugs are asking drivers to "take three". This is selfish on the slug's part and can put the system out of balance. The driver normally doesn't want to be seen as a jerk, so he agrees to take extra slugs. This leaves fewer slugs for later drivers, who then have to wait longer to get their slugs. The ONLY time it would be appropriate to ask a driver to "take three" is when things are way out of balance. If there are 50 slugs in line, it's after 5:30 PM, and there is one car, go ahead and ask. Otherwise, let the system work!"
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 7:23am
It's all a matter of perspective. If I've been standing there for a long time, if the weather's bad, or if the line is long, (and if I'm the 3rd person), I'll ask if the driver will take 3. If he/she says no, c'est la vie.

This writer seems to be absolutely certain of a number of assumptions:

1. There will be later drivers for all of the slugs.
2. That the # of drivers and slugs remains constant.
3. And given #s 1 & 2, that it's imperative for drivers to find riders, but not necessarily vice versa.

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 7:31am
I have mixed feelings about this issue. I don't see a problem with slugs asking drivers to take three and I certainly don't see a problem with the drivers saying "no", after all, they own the vehicle and, at that point the decision maker. On the other hand, as the writer states, timing and supply and demand is the real issues here. If it's close to HOV closing down, then its appropriate to ask and it doesn't necessarily have to be 50 slugs waiting, it can be 10 with two vehicles picking up slugs. I say take three if you have the space. But with 6 cars in line and 15 slugs, by all means leave enough for the next car.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:36am
Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:57am
Sometimes slugs don't even have to ask. The driver offers to take three and it's kind of them.
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:13am
Glacier

Good answer. I don’t see a problem taking 3 if the lines long. I know in the summer the lines are a lot longer. I’ve been in a few lines last year where the line was wrapped around the building. Being at the back of that line and its already 5:25 is a scary feeling. You never know if there be a string of cars coming to pick up slug at 5:30. So for that situations I say yes. Take as many as you can. It’s all up to the driver anyway.

Does anybody know how many people slug daily?
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:20am
It looks like in the summer, the lines are always long. If we don't ask, some of us may be stuck with "guaranteed ride home". I know that from where I slug (Rt 17 Fredericksburg) there are a number of people who take the bus in and slug home. The balance is already thrown off in this case. The bottom line is, we all want to get to and from work as quickly (without speeding) as possible.
Oso99 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oso99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:32am
On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

If you don't want to lose your place in line, post a sign readable to drivers who can signal you, don't just stand there and let the cars stack up and block everything!!!

glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:03am
Well said OSO! It's because of the long loading time at the Pentagon, for Horner, that I take the bus.

Cheers,

Glacier
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:07am
You are RIGHT OSO!!!! I get soooo angry in the car sometimes at the Pentagon.......that I just want to get out the car and yell START WALKING DOWN!!!! WHY ARE YA'LL JUST STANDING THERE???? UUGGGHHHHH!!! It's comical that NO ONE seems to get it.....I thought it was common sense.....they do it at Potomac Mills/Horner Road...so why won't they walk down at the Pentagon??? Puzzling. [:I]

quote:
Originally posted by Oso99
[br]On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

If you don't want to lose your place in line, post a sign readable to drivers who can signal you, don't just stand there and let the cars stack up and block everything!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic