Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Take Three" Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:37am
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

One thing I would ask, if this is the case. If a driver says no, they can't take a third...check your attitude. I cannot tell you how many times, when my seat was full and I could not take a third, I've gotten rolled eyes, evil stares, sighs, under-the-breath mutterings and other assorted guilt trips. It sure would be nice if the statement that it's the "driver's car" and what they say goes were true. But more and more, it sure feels otherwise. It feels like my preferences as a driver are such an inconvenience on humanity as a whole. Enough with the guilt trips. They just make me want to rebel and say no all the time, out of spite. That's how much that annoys me!! Please people, no means no, quit making people feel bad because you don't get your own way. That's SO 5 years old!! Thanks!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:09am
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]You are RIGHT OSO!!!! I get soooo angry in the car sometimes at the Pentagon.......that I just want to get out the car and yell START WALKING DOWN!!!! WHY ARE YA'LL JUST STANDING THERE???? UUGGGHHHHH!!! It's comical that NO ONE seems to get it.....I thought it was common sense.....they do it at Potomac Mills/Horner Road...so why won't they walk down at the Pentagon??? Puzzling. [:I]

quote:
Originally posted by Oso99
[br]On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

If you don't want to lose your place in line, post a sign readable to drivers who can signal you, don't just stand there and let the cars stack up and block everything!!!

May be it's time to split the PM/Horner line at Pentagon?

- Will
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:22am
I Picked up one time from Pentagon. I thought it was a zoo. I told myself I never come back to pentagon again. This was year ago.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:31am
I tend to agree that each driver should only take 2 slugs under normal circumstances. When I'm slugging I only ask a driver to take 3 under extreme circumstances. When I'm driving I pull up to the line and call out "2 for *destination*". Under the dire circumsatnces that everyone else has already described I'll call out for 3.

Mike
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 1:18pm
I just wanted to say that I agree with you OSO99. I hate it when the person in the front of the line in the morning stands and waits for the cars to approach them instead of walking the line. There have been times when I being 3rd or 4th in line have had to just go ahead and do it myself.
makinalivin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makinalivin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 1:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

One thing I would ask, if this is the case. If a driver says no, they can't take a third...check your attitude. I cannot tell you how many times, when my seat was full and I could not take a third, I've gotten rolled eyes, evil stares, sighs, under-the-breath mutterings and other assorted guilt trips. It sure would be nice if the statement that it's the "driver's car" and what they say goes were true. But more and more, it sure feels otherwise. It feels like my preferences as a driver are such an inconvenience on humanity as a whole. Enough with the guilt trips. They just make me want to rebel and say no all the time, out of spite. That's how much that annoys me!! Please people, no means no, quit making people feel bad because you don't get your own way. That's SO 5 years old!! Thanks!

You are so right mirangus! I also think if slugs were to set their expecations at two, a lot of problems would be solved. TWO. That's all. Believe it or not, it used to be that way. Oh-we have this guy in my line who got the nickname "Peeker." Every flipping car that comes onto the lot he stares down and no matter where he is in line, front, middle, or back, and no matter how many people are in line (over 2), he'll yell TAKE THREE!!!! One time however, I actually saw this guy drive (and only once) but do you know what he said when he drove up? I'll take two. Sure is different when the shoe is on the other foot.
dietzf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:00pm
I agree that it should be up to the driver whether or not to take more than two. I have been very grateful at times, as a slug, when a driver will let me squeeze in, especially when it is cold/rainy outside. I have a friend who will not take more than two no matter what.

Before I started riding with the same person every morning, we had a woman in our line whom we nicknamed "Heidi" because she has blond hair and carries a big rucksack - she would always yell out, "CAN THEY TAKE A THIRD!" in a loud, obnoxious voice that made all of us embarrassed to be standing near her.

This is probably a separate thread, but has the Pentagon pickup area improved? I stopped there about a year ago, and it was so out of control that I vowed never to return.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:27pm
Dietzf, I have to agree with you when it comes to people yelling out like that, it really is annoying. Another situation I personally do not care for is when the person directly behind me, or a person or two behind me, tells me to ask if they would take a third. Now I have my own opinion on this and I would rather not ask the driver to take a third but wait for the next ride. And like Mirangus, I would hear the snide remarks, the talking under the breath, and just plain rudeness of those who didn't get their way. When asked to ask the driver if they would take a third, I politely tell them if they wanted a third, they would ask for a third. Then I too get the nasty selfish looks. Oh well, life goes on [;)]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:52pm
The thing that burns me up (in addition to the yelling) is when people 4,5,6 or more back attempt to get in a car as the 3rd when people in front of them don't get in. I tell them "the driver said 2" or there's a child seat, or whatever. Utterly clueless...
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:45pm
I think the bottom line is that any rider has the right to ask the driver to take a 3rd rider just as any driver has the right to refuse to do so. If the rider has a problem with the driver saying "no", then that's their problem, not the drivers.

BTW, this has been discussed before:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=762
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic