Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Take Three" Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 1:04pm
If the line is long or the weather is bad or it is close to 6 p.m. Then politely ask the driver if they will take a third. All they can do is say no, and then you will be helping out your fellow slugs but please do not yell from the back of the line to take three!! That is extremely rude!!
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 11:27am
I for one do not take more then the required number of riders,I have seen riders take 3 people and leaving one standing there hoping that someone else walks up going to the same destination.But in the end it is the driver preference how many riders he/she wants to take.

Mrs. B
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
I guess I'm a little tuffer then most,the rolling of the eyes and talking under the breath doesn't bother me a bit, most of the people that rider with me are repeat riders so they already know,there was a lady at 14th street that ask me if I would take a 3rd and I replied no and she said something smart.The lady that was getting in the front seat has ridden with me quite a bit over the years, she let her know " Ma'am you don't want to go there with this lady" I am not a person to bite my tongue.[:p][:D]

quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

One thing I would ask, if this is the case. If a driver says no, they can't take a third...check your attitude. I cannot tell you how many times, when my seat was full and I could not take a third, I've gotten rolled eyes, evil stares, sighs, under-the-breath mutterings and other assorted guilt trips. It sure would be nice if the statement that it's the "driver's car" and what they say goes were true. But more and more, it sure feels otherwise. It feels like my preferences as a driver are such an inconvenience on humanity as a whole. Enough with the guilt trips. They just make me want to rebel and say no all the time, out of spite. That's how much that annoys me!! Please people, no means no, quit making people feel bad because you don't get your own way. That's SO 5 years old!! Thanks!

Mrs. B
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 5:17pm
KLB-But what do you say to them? I typically don't hold back either, but them again, I'm a little person and I'm not trying to encite riot!! The resulting mob scene would be ugly... [:D] I started this a few weeks ago and it's worked OK so far. If I know for sure that I can't take three that day, I pull up and signal with my fingers that I will take two. I haven't had anyone challenge me on that yet, so I guess I'll stick with it. I'd probably loose passengers if someone DID challenge it, though. I could just see something smart slipping out, like "what...my request for only two NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?!" Ha-ha-ha. I'll just sit here and hope I never have to find out, LOL. [:o)]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 7:21am
You could try reciting the Monty Python Holy Handgrenade schtick - just change the number from 3 to 2.

"And 2 shall be the number of riders. Not 3, but 2. 1 is fine if thou progress to 2. 3 is right out." And if they insist on 3, then lobbest thee thy holy handgrenade of Antioch onto them and blow them, in thy mercy, to tiny bits...
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 7:55am
When's the most common times you see slugs asking drivers to take 3? Probably when there's a long line and; 1. the weather is bad; 2. when the time is approaching 5:30 - 5:45. I've seen drivers during the above times drive up and signal "3". Then again, drivers drive up and seem to wait for someone to ask to take 3 and they normally will. On the other hand, some drivers will only take 2 regardless of the weather or time. I just hope I'm not third in line when they drive up.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 2:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]You could try reciting the Monty Python Holy Handgrenade schtick - just change the number from 3 to 2.

"And 2 shall be the number of riders. Not 3, but 2. 1 is fine if thou progress to 2. 3 is right out." And if they insist on 3, then lobbest thee thy holy handgrenade of Antioch onto them and blow them, in thy mercy, to tiny bits...

LOL!!!! I love it!! [:D]
Rosebud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 3:00pm
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you got into a car accident? Do you think your sluggers would sue you? If your insurance company knew you drove into DC with 3 strangers, would they raise your rates??

Bottom line: This is business, its not personal...

glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 3:58pm
As opposed to two strangers???????????
argentinian_belle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentinian_belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 4:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
[br]Have you ever wondered what would happen if you got into a car accident? Do you think your sluggers would sue you? If your insurance company knew you drove into DC with 3 strangers, would they raise your rates??

Bottom line: This is business, its not personal...

Im sure the insurance company knows you are not the only one riding in your car... unless you have no family and/or friends
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic