Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EEO and HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:15pm
Methinks there is a troll among us.
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:18pm
ME THINKS....Lets not give Uhura the ENERGY on this topic.[xx(]

quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]Methinks there is a troll among us.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:58pm
Methinks Uhura has changed her handle from another (which I can't recall off-hand). The style seems very familiar, and very confrontational in a passive-aggressive nature.

Uhura... Not everyone in VA has vanity tags, and not every black lady drives the same kind of car. Leave the race card game for the lawyers and politicians, okay?
aceofspade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 5:52pm
I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

I also notice people tend to say "girl" and some get offended at that, too.

We're all just trying to get to work.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:52am
quote:
Originally posted by USA

Hold on now-I am labelled a "troll" because I raised a question that is unpleasant to you?

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:56am
quote:
Originally posted by aceofspade
[br]I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

I agree that it is human nature to add a descriptor.

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:58am
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]Methinks Uhura has changed her handle from another (which I can't recall off-hand). The style seems very familiar, and very confrontational in a passive-aggressive nature.

Uhura... Not everyone in VA has vanity tags, and not every black lady drives the same kind of car. Leave the race card game for the lawyers and politicians, okay?

Wrong. This is my first time on this board.

Thanks for addressing the question and not attacking the person who asked it.

If you don't like my question, then why not move on to another thread?

Live Long and Prosper
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:46am
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
Hold on now-I am labelled a "troll" because I raised a question that is unpleasant to you?

It's not unpleasant to me; I just shake my head and say, "Here it goes again...." I called you a troll because when people responded substantively, giving a reason why they believe (NOTE: their OPINION) it is OK to provide this information, your responses would not acknowledge any kind of legitimacy in the other people's opinions.

Let's take this post of yours: "Wow...so it's actually easier to remember and identify 'a [b]lack lady' out of the scores of [b]lack ladies that pick up slugs than it is to identify and remember a vanity license plate?"

Given that the majority of cars do not have personalized license plates, what is one to do when the car is, say, a silver Honda and you didn't get the entire license number? I think it makes a lot more sense to say, for example, "It was a silver Honda driven by a younger black lady and I think the license plate started with ZZX but I am not 100% positive," than to say, "It was a silver Honda with a license plate that I believe started with ZZX." What if there are four or five silver Hondas with ZZX plates? After all, "a silver Honda" is hardly unique around here! (I once had a silver Honda, and someone on the next block over had a silver Honda with a license plate with the same first three letters, so this is not totally improbable.)

Ultimately people view this information as a useful way of identifying the particular driver and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not, because it is useful to give as much descriptive information as possible.

Now, let's see whether you have a substantive response.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:52am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by aceofspade
[br]I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

I agree that it is human nature to add a descriptor.

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

So now, just because people are trying to describe a particular person who displays poor slug/driver behaviors, so that others may avoid having to go through certain aggravations on their morning/afternoon commute, we're all bigots!?!?!?! I consider myself to be an intelligent and intuitive person and I cannot say that I have seen any instance where race was mentioned in any other way than to be a physical descriptor. There were no personal vendettas, political agendas, conspiracy theories, or, dare I say, prejudices on anyone's part. Get over yourself. The slug community is NOT out to get the black community, the hispanic community, the white community, or the purple-polka-dotted-two-headed community. We're all the same community!!!

Secondly, if a whole bunch of people feel that you are "reading too deeply" or "being too sensative," it probably means that you're reading too deeply or being too sensative. Not that you're "right on target" with anything. This is a slugging forum, not a social activists' forum. Perhaps if you don't like how things are being described, YOU should be the one to read another thread. There's people of all races reading this board an so far, you're the only one to whip out the bigot card. Now, you have personally offended me and many others who read this forum. Now we will feel uncomfortable when we want to describe negative events in slugging because we'll have to think twice about describing someone. Hmmm, can't say blonde, might offend the fair-haired folks. Can't say short! Might offend the vertically challenged!!

Oh, and I'd like to go ahead and answer a question you posed in your first post on this assanine subject. You asked, "Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?" The answer is no, except in the case where there is a car sitting up front with a sign in it that says "Black People Only." Then, yes, non-black folks will not enter that vehicle. Feel free to search the forum for my post on that topic a while back.

Here's a theory for you. See if you can pick this one apart. In my experience, I've found that the people who are quickest to point the bigot finger are those that should be pointing at themselves.

If you want to discuss controversial topics, go find out who killed JFK. Or better yet, I can direct you to a few good UFO websites and you can conspire and theorize to your heart's content.

Leave your biases and predispositions off this forum please. They are completely inappropriate here, since, if not for any other reason, they don't pertain to slugging in the least bit!!

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:55am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA

Live Long and Prosper

And now we're "labeling" you? Are you for real? I swear, you're just looking for a reason to be oppressed, or whatever you want to call it. Tell ya what, take the rest of the day off, go for a walk in a park, and loosen up for cryin' out loud!! Unbelievable!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic