Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EEO and HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EEO and HOV
    Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:25pm
I notice that a few of the folks on this board feel it's necessary to disclose if a driver-specifically a "problem" or rude driver-is BLACK.

This info is given even when it is unnecessary i.e. when the person telling the tale has license plate numbers and / or a fairly detailed description of the vehicle...What gives?

Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?

Live Long and Prosper
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:26pm
I don't (think twice, that is).

quote:
Originally posted by Uhura

Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:34pm
No [V]
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:37pm
Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

Why does the race / ethnicity of a rude or "problem" driver need to be disclosed if the driver is non-White (especially when a detailed description of the vehicle is given)?

Live Long and Prosper
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:51pm
It doesn't.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:01pm
I think some people try to give as much identifying information as possible, kind of like giving multiple landmarks when giving directions. I suppose if you take it solely from a realism standpoint, there are fewer black drivers than white drivers, so it's one more piece of identifying information.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:38pm
I took a look at the Do-not-ride-with discussion, and it appeared that the racial description covered the spectrum. Maybe some folks are just a little more sensitive than others. Personally, I'd like to have as much info as possible, especially with the large number of similar vehicles out there. I'm more likely to see the driver and remember the description than I am the license plate.
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:40pm
I'M BLACK, WAS BORN BLACK, RAISED BLACK, ETC., ETC....AND MY PERSONAL OPIONION IS THAT YOU'RE READING TOO DEEP INTO CONVERSATIONS. [;)] We communicate casually on this site and in MANY instances, when telling stories, specifics are mentioned, but it's never to SINGLE out any one and various cultures, types, etc., have been mentioned. Let's not start THIS. K?![:D]
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]I'M BLACK, WAS BORN BLACK, RAISED BLACK, ETC., ETC....AND MY PERSONAL OPIONION IS THAT YOU'RE READING TOO DEEP INTO CONVERSATIONS. [;)] We communicate casually on this site and in MANY instances, when telling stories, specifics are mentioned, but it's never to SINGLE out any one and various cultures, types, etc., have been mentioned. Let's not start THIS. K?![:D]

Whenever someone says that a person is "reading too deeply" or "you're being too sensitive" it usually means that the person is right on target. Certain things are deeply ingrained-so deeply that we begin to accept them and think of them as "normal" or "OK."

At any rate, you are certainly entitled to your opinion-as am I. And
I am not "starting" anything: I am asking a question.

You replied that the mentioning of someone's race / ethnicity is "never to SINGLE out any one"; however, you cannot say with any degree of certainty what is in someone's mind when they describe a person. You can only speak for yourself.

By the way: Your race does not give any more or less validity to your opinion on this topic, so I am not certain why you felt the need to mention it in this discussion....Interestingly, it seems that you may be of the same mindset as some of the other folks that I observed.

Carry on.

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]I took a look at the Do-not-ride-with discussion, and it appeared that the racial description covered the spectrum. Maybe some folks are just a little more sensitive than others. Personally, I'd like to have as much info as possible, especially with the large number of similar vehicles out there. I'm more likely to see the driver and remember the description than I am the license plate.

Wow...so it's actually easier to remember and identify "a Black lady" out of the scores of Black ladies that pick up slugs than it is to identify and remember a vanity license plate?

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic