Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid CX Plates?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustWannaGetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid CX Plates?
    Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:47pm
I saw two hybrid cars with CX license plates tonight on the way home...what is that, clean exhaust??? Have they already issued 9,999 CF plates and now they're moving to CX?
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:59am
Im gonna take a guess and say that all the CF plates have been used in VA.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 9:43am
quote:
Originally posted by JustWannaGetHome
[br]I saw two hybrid cars with CX license plates tonight on the way home...what is that, clean exhaust??? Have they already issued 9,999 CF plates and now they're moving to CX?

I'm with you!! I just saw that myself yesterday morning and started scratching my head. I have a hard time believing that they've already sold over 10,000 of those hybrids in VA. And I'll have an even harder time accepting it if it's true. Because we all know where those "over 10,000" hybrid drivers live...Northern VA!!! I never had an opinion about hybrids in the HOV issues, but now I sit and wonder if maybe there is something to all that?? Hmmmmmmmm...
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 10:00am
There are more than 10,000 ... many of us have personalized plates. There's a brief slow down right now, due to the waiting lists, but come October when Toyota and Honda are joined by Ford, Lexus and I think Saturn ... the increase will speed up again. Even in April 2003, when we bought ours, we had to go to VA Beach to get one without waiting for months. I'm guessing quite a few people do this, go to Richmond, VA Beach, etc.

ScarletLSG
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
I'm with you!! I just saw that myself yesterday morning and started scratching my head. I have a hard time believing that they've already sold over 10,000 of those hybrids in VA. And I'll have an even harder time accepting it if it's true. Because we all know where those "over 10,000" hybrid drivers live...Northern VA!!! I never had an opinion about hybrids in the HOV issues, but now I sit and wonder if maybe there is something to all that?? Hmmmmmmmm...

I'm only gonna say this for the 1000th time....not all CF plates are issued for hybrid vehicles.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:21pm
quote:

I'm only gonna say this for the 1000th time....not all CF plates are issued for hybrid vehicles.

I have seen Caprices, older trucks, lots of cars that arent your normal "Hybrid" Which makes me wonder how they got the plates when the DMV site says you have to have a special type of engine. I cant imagine all of these have those special type of engines.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:37pm
Double check your DMV site. Here's the quote:
quote:

You may choose to apply for clean special fuel license plates for a vehicle that utilizes only a clean special fuel. The vehicle must be exclusively powered by clean special fuel. The following types of fuels MAY qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:

Compressed Natural Gas
Electricity
Ethane
Hydrogen
Hythane
Liquefied Natural Gas
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Methane
Solar
Combination of two types of clean special fuels

So, as you can see, hybrids aren't the only ones eligible. A CNG vehicle qualifies, and a lot of those are running around.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:16pm
And to run these fuels, you need special engines.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by Subaru
[br]And to run these fuels, you need special engines.

Almost any vehicle can be retrofitted to run on CNG, at the very least. It costs maybe $3,000 to $5,000, from what I've heard. I have a colleague who has a minivan that was retrofitted for CNG, and that's certainly not one you'd normally expect to see with a CF plate. But it's perfectly legitimate. From what I gather, Southern California is a bit of a hot market for retrofitting for the same reason you could expect around here--FEDERAL law allows CNG vehicles into HOV lanes.

It's not really a special engine so much as it's a special fuel system. I know there are some alterations to the engine, but it's nothing as drastic as, say, taking out the ordinary engine and putting in a Formula One racing car's engine. So when you think about it--$5,000 to modify an older car to run on CNG, with the guarantee that it will be allowed in the HOV lanes, versus $20,000 for a new hybrid that may not be allowed in the HOV lanes in a few years? Easy to see why people opt for the alternative-fuel vehicles.

(I don't have either a hybrid or an alternative-fuel vehicle. I just find it amusing how some people on this board are so quick to bash any CF-tagged vehicle as either a hybrid or as belonging to someone who got the tag illegally.)
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:02pm
So I could get a Hummer, modify the engine, get the tags and drive solo? Cool...

Of course I wouldn't, because if I were to get a Hummer, I'd make sure I carried at least 2 other people - a top gunner, and maybe a ball turret gunner so I could take out the HOV violators, left lane drivers, cell phone talkers, etc... :)

Happy weekend all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic