Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Vent? I Hate HOV Violators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 2:48pm
Triple the fine, double the number of police. Good way to pay for the State budget deficit or road maintenance. Mounting missles and shooting them will only cause more traffic jams.

You know what I mean??
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 3:04pm
Not if you totally obliterate 'em. [}:)] Might leave a nasty pothole, though. [:D]
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 7:59am
Good news, we win a battle! http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0604/154427.html

Fines for HOV Violators Increase in July
UPDATED - Monday June 21, 2004 9:00pm

Arlington, Va. (AP) - Drivers who illegally use northern Virginia's High Occupancy Vehicle lanes face an increased risk of getting caught beginning next month.

"If you violate HOV lanes you will be stopped and you will be ticketed," Sgt. Wallace Bouldin of the Virginia State Police said Monday. As of July 1, fines are being increased to $1,000 for a fourth offense.

"We have people with five to seven HOV violations over a six- or seven-year period," said Bouldin. While the fine for a first violation remains $50, penalties for a second violation are increasing from $100 to $200 and a third violation has been doubled to $500.

The new fine structure does not apply to HOV lanes in Hampton Roads.

The Washington, D.C., area has some of the most congested regions in the nation. Daily HOV lane usage on Interstate 95 south of Springfield has increased to 16,000 people over the past five years from about 10,000 in 1998, said Tom Farley, the Virginia Department of Transportation's regional administrator.

HOV lanes on Interstates 95 and 395 require three or more persons per vehicle, while lanes on Interstate 66 and the Dulles Toll Road are open to vehicles with two or more riders.

I-395's HOV lanes carry about 29,380 people each day in 7,900 vehicles, compared to 21,300 people in 18,440 vehicles in each regular traffic lane, according to VDOT figures.

"Large numbers of cheaters are clearly threatening the viability of the lanes," said Lon Anderson, a spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic, which supports the stiffer fines. Anderson said keeping the lanes open for car pools and buses is vital to regional mobility.

Overhead signs now display messages warning of the increased fines. Over the past year, state police have issued 19,042 citations, up 2,000 from the previous 12-month period. Bouldin said officers have been instructed to include HOV enforcement in their patrol duties.

A task force convened last summer by the state's secretaries of transportation and public safety recommended stepped-up enforcement, heftier fines and the assessment of points on the driver's licenses of violators.

While each violation is still subject to $39 in court costs, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle will now assess three demerit points for the third and fourth violations. The accumulation of points can lead to higher insurance rates for motorists at renewal time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic