Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New HOV fines (finally)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 12:29pm
Another article in the Free Lance Star about the new rules that are effective today. AAA says that violators are threatening the HOV lanes and I truly believe it. Most of the times I would say it is 70% violators and 30% legals on the HOV lanes. If the police would just get the violators off the road and let them know they are enforcing it, our commutes would be so much smoother. I am tired of wasting so much time in traffic on the HOV lanes!! I am also attaching the person to contact at the State Police if you want to write him and complain about the lack of HOV enforcement. Hopefully if enough people complain about the lack of enforcement, they'll get out there and get the violators. That along with the new fines will ensure a smooth ride for us folks who do the right thing!!

HOV violators to face stiffer fines and points
July 1, 2004 12:00 am

The Associated Press
WFLS News
(Undated-AP) -- Many fines are doubling today for motorists who sneak into Virginia's high occupancy vehicle lanes.
The fine for a first offense remains $50 plus court costs, but fines for a second offense in five years have doubled to $200. A third offense now costs $500, and a fourth offense is $1,000.

Third and fourth-time violators also will lose three points on their driving records.

In northern Virginia, HOV lanes on Interstates 95 and 395 require three or more persons per vehicle, while lanes on Interstate 66 and the Dulles Toll Road are open to vehicles with two or more riders.

Triple-A Mid-Atlantic says large numbers of cheaters are threatening the viability of the lanes.

Bud Cox
Management Analyst
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
bcox@vsp.state.va.us

SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 1:38pm
I sent an email to the POC at the State Police and here was their response. I encourage all of us slugs who are fed up with lengthy commutes home, to write in to this gentleman and voice your concerns. The more people who complain about lack of enforcement,the better for us slugs.

"Thank you for your additional comments and concerns regarding HOV violators and recommended methods to enforce our laws to increase traffic flow.

Please be assured that it is the desire of the state police to identity those motorists who violate our laws including HOV restrictions and take appropriate enforcement action.

The efforts undertaken by the Virginia General Assembly this year through increased fines for repeat violators and the assessment of demerit points on a driver's record are expected to be beneficial to reducing the number of violators.

Additionally, the State Police will continue the "no excuses" program recently created to target HOV enforcement to address traffic flow and remove habitual violators.

It is an on-going objective of the State Police to provide a comprehensive enforcement program that addresses all facets of highway safety.

We appreciate your concerns and we will give your recommendations full consideration in our development of enforcement initiatives.

Bud Cox
Management Analyst
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
bcox@vsp.state.va.us "
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 1:45pm
I read the article announcing the new fines this AM. All I have to say is, "it's about time."

Now I hope it not only acts as a deterrent, but that enforcement is stepped up as well.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 3:13pm
Amen to that!!
CUCV_Owner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUCV_Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 9:12am
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]Now I hope it not only acts as a deterrent, but that enforcement is stepped up as well.

I was hoping to see more enforcement with the new laws in place. However, in the past two days of commuting I've only seen two cops vehicles, and one was on the airport access road where he couldn't get to HOV violators. Hopefully they're just gearing up for the big holiday weekend, and they'll step up enforcement next week.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 3:02pm
It would be a deterrent if they were out there waiting at the exit/entry points ticketing every one of them. They are playing an odds game right now and the odds are higher that they won't get caught. I don't think anyone WANTS to pay the fines or get points on their license. I am hoping that enough of us will complain to the police about the amount of violators and ask them to please get out there and enforce the rules.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 3:32pm
There was a policeman out in the heat last night at Shirlington. I bet they'll be out in force after the holidays. Would be a cash fall for the State.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 9:37am
I thought there would be more police out today but I only saw one police car in the HOV and tons of violators. Maybe the afternoon will be different. I've been seeing more out of state plates violating in the afternoon. Maybe they are tourists
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 10:36am
quote:
Originally posted by jhatton1980
[br]I couldn't find a thread on this, so I am starting one.

I am very encouraged that there will finally be points given. These new fines may not have an immediate impact, but they should help in the long term, as people rack up 1st and 2nd offenses. Maybe this is just wishful thinking.

What do you think?

it's about time. LOL @ the guy & his girlfriend this morning who spotted a trooper and began to go in reverse on the shoulder to try & escape!

http://virginiadot.org/infoservice/news/newsrelease.asp?ID=NOVA-NR04-27

RELEASE:IMMEDIATE

Email: joan.morris@virginiadot.org NOVA-NR04-27

6/21/2004

HOV Fines and Points Increase July 1

Violators on Northern Virginia High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes face stiffer fines and, for the first time, demerit points on their driving record when a more stringent HOV law takes effect July 1. VDOT, Virginia State Police, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and AAA Mid-Atlantic announced the stiffer penalties at a press conference today.

?Clearly, enforcement alone is not going to solve the ongoing problem we have with violators clogging up the HOV lanes,? said Tom Farley, VDOT Northern Virginia District Administrator. ?Tougher fines and demerit points take aim at those HOV violators who are breaking the law and reducing the effectiveness of our HOV system.?

Last August, an HOV task force convened by Virginia?s Secretary of Transportation and Secretary of Public Safety recommended doubling fines and assessing demerit points for motorists who travel in the HOV lanes during restricted periods without the required number of occupants.

Under the new law, fines are doubled on the second offense as well as on subsequent violations that occur within five years of the first offense. The fine for a first offense will remain $50 plus $39 in court costs. The fine for a second offense increases from $100 to $200, a third offense from $250 to $500, and a fourth offense from $500 to $1,000. In addition, third- and fourth-time violators will receive three demerit points on their driving records for driving illegally in the HOV lanes.

?When you are convicted of a HOV violation, the court notifies DMV, which posts the conviction to your driving record where it remains for five years,? said Marc Copeland of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

?Beginning July 1, think twice before driving the HOV lanes illegally. Violators will be stopped and risk receiving a ticket of up to $1,000 with three demerit points on their driving record,? said Sgt. Wallace Bouldin of the Virginia State Police.

?HOV lanes are a critical tool in our region for dealing with some of the nation?s worst gridlock,? said Lon Anderson of AAA Mid-Atlantic. ?It is imperative that these lanes move well to serve as an incentive and facilitator for car pooling and for the many buses that use these lanes.?

Beginning today, overhead message signs on the HOV corridors will remind motorists that HOV FINES INCREASE JULY 1. A radio spot will also air announcing the increased fines and points.

The new fines and points affect only Northern Virginia HOV lanes; HOV fines in Hampton Roads do not change.

HOV hours and rules are available at VDOT?s Web site, www.VirginiaDOT.org. Commuter Connections at 1 800-745-RIDE or www.commuterconnections.org helps motorists find car pool partners, a van pool or a bus to get to work.

New HOV Fines Effective July 1, 2004

1st offense $50 + $39 for court costs

2nd offense $200 + $39 for court costs

3rd offense $500 + $39 for court costs + three demerit points

4th offense $1,000 + $39 for court costs + three demerit points

Live Long and Prosper
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 3:04pm
Keep track daily about how many police you see out enforcing the new HOV rules and let the state police know if they are not enforcing it properly. The POC with the state police is bcox@vsp.state.va.us . The more of us who complain, the more they'll be inclined to go get those violators!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic