Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New HOV fines (finally)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatton1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New HOV fines (finally)
    Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 1:17pm
I couldn't find a thread on this, so I am starting one.

I am very encouraged that there will finally be points given. These new fines may not have an immediate impact, but they should help in the long term, as people rack up 1st and 2nd offenses. Maybe this is just wishful thinking.

What do you think?

http://virginiadot.org/infoservice/news/newsrelease.asp?ID=NOVA-NR04-27

RELEASE:IMMEDIATE

Email: joan.morris@virginiadot.org NOVA-NR04-27

6/21/2004

HOV Fines and Points Increase July 1

Violators on Northern Virginia High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes face stiffer fines and, for the first time, demerit points on their driving record when a more stringent HOV law takes effect July 1. VDOT, Virginia State Police, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and AAA Mid-Atlantic announced the stiffer penalties at a press conference today.

“Clearly, enforcement alone is not going to solve the ongoing problem we have with violators clogging up the HOV lanes,” said Tom Farley, VDOT Northern Virginia District Administrator. “Tougher fines and demerit points take aim at those HOV violators who are breaking the law and reducing the effectiveness of our HOV system.”

Last August, an HOV task force convened by Virginia’s Secretary of Transportation and Secretary of Public Safety recommended doubling fines and assessing demerit points for motorists who travel in the HOV lanes during restricted periods without the required number of occupants.

Under the new law, fines are doubled on the second offense as well as on subsequent violations that occur within five years of the first offense. The fine for a first offense will remain $50 plus $39 in court costs. The fine for a second offense increases from $100 to $200, a third offense from $250 to $500, and a fourth offense from $500 to $1,000. In addition, third- and fourth-time violators will receive three demerit points on their driving records for driving illegally in the HOV lanes.

“When you are convicted of a HOV violation, the court notifies DMV, which posts the conviction to your driving record where it remains for five years,” said Marc Copeland of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

“Beginning July 1, think twice before driving the HOV lanes illegally. Violators will be stopped and risk receiving a ticket of up to $1,000 with three demerit points on their driving record,” said Sgt. Wallace Bouldin of the Virginia State Police.

“HOV lanes are a critical tool in our region for dealing with some of the nation’s worst gridlock,” said Lon Anderson of AAA Mid-Atlantic. “It is imperative that these lanes move well to serve as an incentive and facilitator for car pooling and for the many buses that use these lanes.”

Beginning today, overhead message signs on the HOV corridors will remind motorists that HOV FINES INCREASE JULY 1. A radio spot will also air announcing the increased fines and points.

The new fines and points affect only Northern Virginia HOV lanes; HOV fines in Hampton Roads do not change.

HOV hours and rules are available at VDOT’s Web site, www.VirginiaDOT.org. Commuter Connections at 1 800-745-RIDE or www.commuterconnections.org helps motorists find car pool partners, a van pool or a bus to get to work.

New HOV Fines Effective July 1, 2004

1st offense $50 + $39 for court costs

2nd offense $200 + $39 for court costs

3rd offense $500 + $39 for court costs + three demerit points

4th offense $1,000 + $39 for court costs + three demerit points

fugitiveALiEN View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugitiveALiEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 1:24pm
I hope it will serve as a better deterrent, i can imagine the "accidental" lame violators won't be too badly bruised, and they will pay more attention the 2nd time, but it's a step in teh right direction. But maybe the 2nd offense should be $300 then $600 then $1200 and they remove your license and forced to use public transit [}:)][;)]
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 2:41pm
Dont you all love it when two seater convertables get pulled over, its like, DUH!? Did you THINK you would get away with it? Anywho, Im glad they are increasing fines, I cant even count how many times I saw people slip right by the police as they were "spot checking" at the end of HOV. That starts me on another subject, why is it that you see about four or five cop cars all lined up with the HOV- no excuses sign on one of the cars, but there are like, maybe two cops actually standing outside thier car checking, while the rest are either talking to each other, or sitting in their car. There should be one set pulling them over, and another set writing up tickets, but that would be logical, wouldnt it. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!

:'}
Rosebud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 3:46pm
This is the best thing since sliced bread. Lets revisit this topic 6 months from now to see if it made a difference. No matter how many times the police are out there patroling, there are always a couple dimwits breaking the law. The points on the license after 2 citations should be enough to make the biggest fool think twice.

I think the police should have short wave radios so we can notify them of the violators. I hate them so much, I would buy one just so I can "drop a dime" on those criminals.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 5:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]Wonder how points are accessed to out of state violators? I've seen too many Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey violators lately.

It depends on whether the state in question has reciprocity with Virginia for out-of-state offenses and on how the state in question imposes penalties. In other words--some states will impose their own penalty for an infraction that occurs out-of-state, if the other state reports it to them. (Some states don't do this.) I think there may be a couple of states that will impose the other state's penalty, but I don't think this is very common--the matter of points on a driver's license is up to the state that issued the license. To give an example of why this matters--some states do not put speeding tickets on your record, or report them to your insurance carrier, if you are going less than 10 mph over the speed limit. But if you are from Virginia, and if the other state reports your ticket to your home state, then you might get points and an insurance hike anyway.

The significance of whether the state issuing the ticket has reciprocity with Virginia is that some states do not report tickets to other states nor take reports from them. (Note, for example, that DC's speed cameras are NOT part of a reciprocity agreement, from what I read--DC does not report those to Virginia.) This means that a driver from another state without reciprocity who is passing through and gets a ticket can basically throw the ticket away as long as he doesn't plan on going back to the place that issued the ticket--it won't be reported to his home state, so there is nothing the issuing state can do unless he re-enters the issuing state. Where reciprocity DOES exist, if you don't pay the ticket, your home state might suspend your license.

I believe Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Michigan, and a couple of Canadian provinces are not members of the compact, although I think Georgia may report some offenses anyway.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 2:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]Wonder how points are accessed to out of state violators? I've seen too many Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey violators lately.

The sad thing is that these people are probably people who live here and are avoiding the car tax by registering out of state.
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 2:48pm
Yeah! Isn't living here and not paying taxes great!!! I hate not paying state taxes and only $1 county tax. Gotta love the sunshine state!
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 3:53pm
VDOT also has a commercial playing on the radio too announcing the new fines. I heard it this morning for the first time on WTOP. Has anyone else heard it?
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 3:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by SweetLibby
[br]Well, from what I understand is that if you're in the military you can basically register your car wherever you want. It's a "benefit" to those serving our country. It also makes sense in that service men and women don't have to register their vehicles every time they are transferred.

It's true, I am military (USMC 22+yrs) and would hate to switch states as often as I have moved. This a great area to live minus the traffic.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 4:39pm
Of course, if registering your vehicle in your home state means paying property taxes on the car there, then you might want to consider registering for VA tags. Before I retired, I kept my WA residency and registered my cars in VA. I paid no property tax, got my county sticker for free, and only paid for the annual emissions test and the tabs. The qualifier was the cars had to be in my name only.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic