Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Gripes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 4:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]If it is one they can put in their lap or sit on the floor without cratching up my leather seat not a problem, but you must understand the wheels on the suitcases and wheels collect gravel and dirt in those wheel, a co-worker of mine had someone with one those rolling bags put a deep cut in her backseat. So no if it is to big to put on your lap or floor it ain't getting in my car.

quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]Mrs. "B", you don't allow anyone with any type suitcases in your vehicle? I mean the kind you can get inside with you, not the hugh family sized ones.

Mrs. B

I have heard that there are some places that will actually credit you hours toward your day to be working during your commute. So maybe laptop guy was just clocking in? Who knows. Wish I worked for one of those companies!! But that whole newpaper situation is really dangerous, I have to agree.

You're right, mirangus. In fact, I have a friend who commutes from Maryland to DC. On his way to work, he clocks in working on his laptop on the train.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 9:14am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
I have heard that there are some places that will actually credit you hours toward your day to be working during your commute. So maybe laptop guy was just clocking in? Who knows. Wish I worked for one of those companies!! But that whole newpaper situation is really dangerous, I have to agree.

He might be an attorney billing hours. When you bill hours, you bill the time you worked on the matter regardless of whether you were in the office, typing on your laptop on the Metro, taking a conference call via cell phone from the beach, or sitting on the toilet reading documents.

Now if the laptop user presumed to plug his laptop into the cigarette lighter, that would annoy me because, first, it's presumptuous, and second, I feel like everything from the center console on over is the driver's space.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 10:31am
I wonder if you can do the same thing with a "blackberry"?
Jean B. View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 12:27pm
I don't think people stop to think or realize that when they drag a wheeled backpack or even put an unwheeled large gym on the ground in the parking lot, they're picking up alot of dirt and gravel that's then being ground into the leather seats. A friend of mine handles it this way: He pops the trunk open and asks the rider to put the bag in the trunk. If the rider says no, then it's the next rider's turn to get in the car. I think if the riders in line start to see this, they may begin to realize the problem (and damaage) they're causing.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 1:05pm
Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't all this griping about what type of bag the "slug" carries, and whether its wheeled or not effecting the driver's decision to pick them up or not, sort of defeat the purpose of "slugging." After all this is a system of blind trust....You never really know what your going to get, and being overly particular about aspects of your rider's belongings seems a bit picky to me.

I can relate with the computer and newspaper, those are avoidable nuisances, but would you not give a construction worker a ride home if he needed one, just because he may, Heaven Forbid, get some dirt and grime on your seats.....
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 1:22pm
You're right about this being a system of "blind" trust. On at least two occasions in the past two months, I've have joggers get into my car in Crystal City. They literally looked like they just finished jogging and then came to the slug line........ shorts sticking to them, wet spots on their shirts, and hair drenched with sweat. This to me is GROSS!!! But of course, I let them in my car, and didn't say a thing....but to me, folks should have more common sense than that.[xx(]
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 2:21pm
I couldn't agree with that more Bug....But assuming that folks have the common sense not to do stuff like that is wrong...They probably think they are never going to have to see you again, so what the hell right? I've had the unfortunate distinction of sitting behind a wet jogger on the way home....Yikes...he smelled bad.... I may be wrong but I just feel like nothing in this world is free, and when you're involved in the slugging system the price you pay is the people that you have to put up with...
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 2:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't all this griping about what type of bag the "slug" carries, and whether its wheeled or not effecting the driver's decision to pick them up or not, sort of defeat the purpose of "slugging." After all this is a system of blind trust....You never really know what your going to get, and being overly particular about aspects of your rider's belongings seems a bit picky to me.

I don't agree with you completely--I think it is 100% proper for a driver to ask someone to put a wheeled bag in the trunk, especially on a wet day. I don't want mud on my car's seats, and the fact that someone is picking up a slug does NOT mean that the driver has to accept having his car turned into a crap-mobile just because some rider thinks he's too important not to have his muddy bag next to him at all times. Now, if you get a person with poor hygiene or something, you're kind of stuck....unless you remember that person and then, the next time, say "I am not taking you." (Kind of like the posts about the notorious BO Lady from Fredericksburg.)
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 2:51pm
I'm not saying it's out of line to ask a person to put their bag in the trunk...I'm saying its out of line to refuse to take someone because they have a wheeled bag.....We shouldn't be that picky....I mean where is this heading?? Seperate lines for those with wheeled bags? LOL on the Crap Mobile though....I agree with the whole I don't want my car dirty logic...But I also feel like if you want your pristine leather seats to stay that way....Perhaps you should take VRE...
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2004 at 11:39am
Dhacim,

I agree with the line of reasoning "we shouldn't be that picky" and "where is this heading?" I KNOW that the slug drivers ARE the owners of the cars ... but some of you expect the slugs to be blow-up dolls or something. Get in, sit down, no carry-on baggage, head and eyes to the front, speak only when spoken to, left hand left knee/right hand right knee. YEESH ... I'd be scared to BE a slug. Don't get me wrong, the common courtesies should always be expected, but if I were a "potential slugger" and read the posts on this message board ... I might be convinced to just go get one of those dreaded ... ... ... ... saying this under my breath ... Hybrids.

ScarletLSG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic