Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Gripes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Gripes?
    Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 12:34pm
I understand with slugging we have to put up with an occassional incident or two that we dislike, but mine is becoming a bit more frequent. I do both, drive/pick up and slug. Last week I picked up slugs, and the guy in the front seat cracked open his laptop and typed the entire trip....is it just me, or was that a bit much?? And, yesterday, I drove and a guy in the back had his newspaper COMPLETELY OPEN, and upright. I couldn't see at all!! I know i should've said something, but as usual, I hate being put in a situation that makes me feel uncomfortable in order to comfront someone, so i said nothing[:(].
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 12:56pm
Some would say they don't mind, others would say they do.
I rather have a person with a laptop than a person eating or drinking in my car.
However, if the guy with the newspaper was blocking your visual, you should have said something.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 1:19pm
I think you had a perfect right to say something Slugbug, but the newspaper deal was a safety issue, so to protect not only yourself but your passengers, I think mentioning "safety" would have been appropriate.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 1:38pm
I think the key is safety. You should have felt completely comfortable saying something to the newspaper reader. He/she blocks your view, his/her safety is compromised as well.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 1:46pm
I don't see any problem with the laptop guy, provided he wasn't blocking your side mirror. But you definitely needed to speak up to the newspaper guy. Something along the line of "Excuse me, but I need to see out my rear window, and your paper is blocking my line of sight" should've sufficed.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 2:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]I understand with slugging we have to put up with an occassional incident or two that we dislike, but mine is becoming a bit more frequent. I do both, drive/pick up and slug. Last week I picked up slugs, and the guy in the front seat cracked open his laptop and typed the entire trip....is it just me, or was that a bit much?? And, yesterday, I drove and a guy in the back had his newspaper COMPLETELY OPEN, and upright. I couldn't see at all!! I know i should've said something, but as usual, I hate being put in a situation that makes me feel uncomfortable in order to comfront someone, so i said nothing[:(].

Safety first, Slugbug!

It's important to say something when a slug is blocking your field of vision during a drive.

The laptop thing wouldn't have been a big deal to me though....

Live Long and Prosper
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 3:19pm
The laptop wouldn't have bothered me at all. In fact, there are many days that I WISH I wasn't driving and could work for the 2+ hours. The newspaper guy should have read the paper folded up ... that's unsafe for the entire car.

ScarletLSG

quote:
[br]I understand with slugging we have to put up with an occassional incident or two that we dislike, but mine is becoming a bit more frequent. I do both, drive/pick up and slug. Last week I picked up slugs, and the guy in the front seat cracked open his laptop and typed the entire trip....is it just me, or was that a bit much?? And, yesterday, I drove and a guy in the back had his newspaper COMPLETELY OPEN, and upright. I couldn't see at all!! I know i should've said something, but as usual, I hate being put in a situation that makes me feel uncomfortable in order to comfront someone, so i said nothing[:(].

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 8:30am
quote:
[br] And, yesterday, I drove and a guy in the back had his newspaper COMPLETELY OPEN, and upright. I couldn't see at all!! [:(].

Doesn't anyone know how to use the "commuter fold" anymore? That's the way you fold the paper so it's always the size of one eighth sheet (roughly 7 X 11 inches). You can even quickly flip through the pages, always returning to the folded configuration with just a couple of quick moves. I used to commute by train from Connecticut into NYC's Grand Central Station, and if anyone didn't know how to keep his newspaper out of everyone else's way, he would have been quickly educated.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 8:56am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
Doesn't anyone know how to use the "commuter fold" anymore? That's the way you fold the paper so it's always the size of one eighth sheet (roughly 7 X 11 inches). You can even quickly flip through the pages, always returning to the folded configuration with just a couple of quick moves. I used to commute by train from Connecticut into NYC's Grand Central Station, and if anyone didn't know how to keep his newspaper out of everyone else's way, he would have been quickly educated.

People in the DC area have no clue on this. Try riding the Metro sometime--these fools hold their papers as wide-open as possible, I guess to try to keep other people from standing close to them.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 11:07am
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[People in the DC area have no clue on this. Try riding the Metro sometime--these fools hold their papers as wide-open as possible, I guess to try to keep other people from standing close to them.

Those seated on the Metro (and on the bus, I've noticed) seem to back themselves into the corner and hide behind the wide-open paper so they can hog two seats. Grrrrrr!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic