Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!
    Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 2:49pm
I have seen a lot of complaining lately about Hybrids on the HOV lanes. VDOT says thet 4% of cars on the HOV's are alternative fuel vehicles. Well my count sometimes says the number is closer to 10-15% and rising ! These cars are causing the HOV lanes to backup. What's next ???? Free parking for Hybrids ?? No Registration required ??? Skip to the front of the line at Starbucks ??? Help us do away with this problem. Write or email your state representatives, senators, delegates, even the Governor, etc..... Tell them to get these vehicles off our HOV lanes !! Unless of course they pick up a few riders [:)]
Virginia State Senators-- http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf/$$Viewtemplate+for+WMembershipHome?OpenForm
Virginia House of Delegates -- http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteTL?OpenView
Governor Warner -- http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Contact/Contact.html
Virginia Congressional Delegation -- http://www.virginia.gov/cmsportal/government_881/government_1046/officials_1355/congressional_1351/index.html

Ron
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 3:40pm
Ron,

I disagree with you on your numbers. They Hybrid % is MUCH lower than the ILLEGAL violator percentage. Every morning I keep a count and the number of law breaking violators is generally upwards to 40% of the vehicles in the HOV lanes. This morning alone, I saw 5 cars exit to the regular lanes through the emergency/police only openings. I'm guessing that they heard through radio traffic reports of an exit that had police waiting for them to come through. At the SAME time during my morning commute, I only counted a total of FOUR vehicles with the CF plates ... to include those with personalized plates. The backups aren't caused by the Hybrids ... they are caused by the paranoid violators.

Appreciate the links though. I made good use of them.

ScarletLSG
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 4:09pm
Most of the cars I noticed with just one person in them were actual violators, not Hybrids. I do not think that Hybrids are the number one reason for congestion on the HOV. Alot of back ups happen when people stop to look at police that have pulled people over or people who are violating slow down and switch lanes whenever they see a police car.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2004 at 9:46pm
Got to agree that the violators pose a much greater problem. Yes there are a lot of Hybrids but until the law is changed, and it does not look like it will anytime soon, they are legal. Better to focus on the real issue, the violators out there.
jc9 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 12:11pm
I have to disagree with the recent posts and say that when I travel on HOV, I usually notice more hybrids that violators. But to be honest, I don't think that's the issue...It's not - which group is causing the more congestion than another - it's that ANY cause for congestion that CAN be fixed, SHOULD be fixed. Hybrids should have to meet the HOV-3 restriction just like other commuters...this will reduce the overall number of cars on the road. Period. Why are there any exceptions in the first place? It's ridiculous, and I will be writing letters. Thanks for the contact info ronsray.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 12:20pm
The number of violators between 6:30AM and around 8:45 is not even close to the number of cars with "CF" plates. From what I've seen, most of the violators during that time are Hybrids without the required plates.

In total numbers, there probably more cheaters than hybrids, but they don't account for congestion that lingers until 8:00AM some days.

Congestion is far worse and more common than it was two years ago, and I think there were more cheaters back then.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2004 at 12:39pm
MDC,

I too have seen MANY Hybrids without the required plates and I count them in my "violator" count. The law specifically states that the Hybrid car in the HOV lanes MUST have a registered CF plate ... can be personalized, but must have the symbol.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]The number of violators between 6:30AM and around 8:45 is not even close to the number of cars with "CF" plates. From what I've seen, most of the violators during that time are Hybrids without the required plates.

In total numbers, there probably more cheaters than hybrids, but they don't account for congestion that lingers until 8:00AM some days.

Congestion is far worse and more common than it was two years ago, and I think there were more cheaters back then.

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 10:08am
This morning as I approached the exit to the pentagon. I was sittin in the long line to get off ( around 650 ) and I counted 19 Hybrids. I see the few cheaters. But Hybrids def. out number the cheaters around that time. I see more cheaters at night when going home around 345- 4.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 10:10am
I agree with Scarlet..when I said that I see more violators than Hybrids, I was talking about Hybrids with CF tags, those without are just violators like all the others.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 11:08am
quote:
Originally posted by pplmvrs
[br]I agree with Scarlet..when I said that I see more violators than Hybrids, I was talking about Hybrids with CF tags, those without are just violators like all the others.

Are hybrids without CF tags cheaters? I assumed hybrids were hybrids and they all counted as being legal on HOV lanes. I even see out of state hybrids cruising along without a care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic