Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 9:56am
Of course, we have delved off topic. But hey it's good for a chat. I would expect to decrease my income by about 1/2 if I left my firm.

Maybe the policitians should start reading the posts so they could get a feel for what the area really needs.

Humor is good thing to have in traffic, along with a good CD.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 3:57pm
Stuck2 -- Why is HOV-4 impractical?
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 4:39pm
I've been in car pools before and coordinating 4 people is like pulling eye-teeth. I've also gone to slug lines where there were only 2 people for my destination. Imagine having to wait and wait for another as the 6:00 bewitching hour approaches? I think HOV3 is just more manageable.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 6:35pm
Although I don't have little ones, I agree with HOV-3 vs. HOV-4 because of child seats. It is difficult to wrestle the child seat out every morning to pick up passengers and hard to reinstall it properly each evening to collect the child from daycare. I've also ridden in cars that had the child seat in the middle of the back seat, and there are precious few cars today that were designed for three occupants in the back, even if one is a "skinny" child seat.
CUCV_Owner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUCV_Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 10:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]Stuck2 -- Why is HOV-4 impractical?

Have you ever tried to put four people in the bench seat of a pickup? Three is hard enough!

[:D]

--
Politicians should serve two terms... a term in office followed by a term in jail.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 3:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]I saw a modified Ford F-150 a few days ago. What's next, fleets of modified dumptrucks cruising the HOV? That's an exaggeration of course, but Virginia sure has opened HOV up to special exemptions. Perhaps they should change the name from HOV to HOSE - High Occupancy/Special Exemption Lanes?

The CNG and propane vehicles are permitted under federal regulations--that has nothing to do with Virginia. Theoretically you could buy a Ferrari, get it modified for CNG, and go solo in the HOV lanes, although why anyone would ruin a Ferrari like that is beyond me.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:03am
quote:
[i]The CNG and propane vehicles are permitted under federal regulations--that has nothing to do with Virginia. Theoretically you could buy a Ferrari, get it modified for CNG, and go solo in the HOV lanes, although why anyone would ruin a Ferrari like that is beyond me.

So they can drive solo in the HOV lanes!!! Is there a better reason??? [:P] (Please note the dripping sarcasm)
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 4:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by SweetLibby
[br] I do thank you hybrid drivers for improving the environment by cutting down on carbon monoxide emissions resulting in less greenhouse gases.

Does this mean three hybrids together produce fewer emissions than one standard sedan? That regular car with three people takes two other cars off the road. Where's Wagonman? Want to weigh in with more info on the emissions produced by hybrids burning gasoline at highway speed?
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 5:06pm
I just ask myself: would hybrids be as popular as they're right now if authorities wouldn't have let them be exempt for HOV lanes from the beginning?
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 7:55am
And the answer to that is probably no, at least not when gas was still below $1.50 a gallon. But I'm still betting the demand wouldn't be as high in this area without the HOV exemption. I guess we'll find out in 2006 when the exemption ends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic