Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 11:05am
I drive a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and there's no smell what-so-ever. I have a very sensitive sniffer and haven't noticed ANY smell at all. Hmmmmmmm.

ScarletLSG
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 11:21am
Yes, I too have noticed the smell on numerous occasions. It can be very bad and appears worse when the hybrid is accelerating. (By the way, this is sulfur dioxide, which is an air pollutant and causes acid rain). It may be that these cars are not tuned right. I will ask an expert I know if he has heard of this and whether it is a general characteristic or just a tuneup problem.

Bob
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 12:25pm
Bob,

Would the driver of a Hybrid be able to smell this?? If I don't smell it, can I assume that my car is tuned properly? I take it to the dealership religiously for oil changes, scheduled maintenance and anything else.

ScarletLSG
ronsray View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 12:46pm
Another reason to get the Hybrids off the HOV lanes !!!
They stink !![:(!]

Ron
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 12:48pm
If as I suspect it happens on acceleration you probably wouldnt smell it since the car would be moving. Although I have noticed this several times, I really have no idea if this is any kind of widespread problem. Since I commute around the same time each day, it may have actually even been the same car doing it.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 1:19pm
A "clean special fuel" license plate does NOT have to have the letters CF on it. The words "clean special fuel" are on the bottom of the plate. I have seen numerous CF vehicles with personelized "clean special fuel" plates that don't have the CF on them.

In the 3.5 years I've been in Stafford, I've noticed the traffic on I93/395 increasing as a whole. To decrease the congestion in the HOV lanes we need to cut down on the total number of cars in those lanes, both legally and ilegally. I propose the state legislature do the following: 1) get rid of all the exceptions to HOV (e.g. CF vehicles, off duty emergency responders) except for on-duty law enforcement and vehicles actively responding to an emergency; 2) return to HOV-4 on the I-95/395 corridor, with no exception for vehicles that cannot hold 4 or more people except for motorcycles (I don't think they contribute significantly to the congestion), and; 3) use the income generated from ticketing HOV violators for increasing police patrols of HOV and increased enforcement of HOV.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2004 at 5:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]If as I suspect it happens on acceleration you probably wouldnt smell it since the car would be moving. Although I have noticed this several times, I really have no idea if this is any kind of widespread problem. Since I commute around the same time each day, it may have actually even been the same car doing it.

It could be the emissions system is shot. Hybrid car emissions aren't tested every two years like everyone else and if there is a problem with the emissions system no one will ever know to correct it. Too bad since it wouldn't cost the owner a thing to get it fixed under warranty.
There is another possibility. If it was a Prius it could have been the engine turning on. Turning the engine on is one of the dirtiest points in car emissions because, among other things, the catalytic converter is not heated up to operating temperature. The new Prius has an electric catalytic converter pre-heater to help minimize this. I'm not sure if the older prius had this. The Civic hybrid engine stays on and wouldn't have this problem. It's a trade-off, emissions while iding versus one short period of increased emissions.
spolastre View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2004 at 11:17am
Ron, I feel the same way. Even though they use clean fuel, they are increasing traffic. If you want to help the environment, instead of getting in the car and slowing down traffic on the HOV, why don't you pick up people that do not have Hybrids and by doing that, you will be helping the earth in two ways.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2004 at 7:46am
quote:
Originally posted by ronsray
[br]I have seen a lot of complaining lately about Hybrids on the HOV lanes. VDOT says thet 4% of cars on the HOV's are alternative fuel vehicles. Well my count sometimes says the number is closer to 10-15% and rising ! These cars are causing the HOV lanes to backup. What's next ???? Free parking for Hybrids ?? No Registration required ??? Skip to the front of the line at Starbucks ??? Help us do away with this problem. Write or email your state representatives, senators, delegates, even the Governor, etc..... Tell them to get these vehicles off our HOV lanes !! Unless of course they pick up a few riders [:)]
Virginia State Senators-- http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf/$$Viewtemplate+for+WMembershipHome?OpenForm
Virginia House of Delegates -- http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios.nsf/MWebsiteTL?OpenView
Governor Warner -- http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Contact/Contact.html
Virginia Congressional Delegation -- http://www.virginia.gov/cmsportal/government_881/government_1046/officials_1355/congressional_1351/index.html

Ron

Thanks for posting those links! I was able to send an email message to Gov Warner about this.

I am seeing more & more of these vehicles on the HOV. This, in combination with the number of violators makes for a crowded HOV...

Live Long and Prosper
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2004 at 1:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by spolastre
[br]Ron, I feel the same way. Even though they use clean fuel, they are increasing traffic. If you want to help the environment, instead of getting in the car and slowing down traffic on the HOV, why don't you pick up people that do not have Hybrids and by doing that, you will be helping the earth in two ways.

Hybrids don't use a clean fuel. They use gas just like most other cars. That's part of the gripe with them, they aren't cleaner than a lot of other cars and yet they still get special treatment. There is no logic to including hybrids in the clean special fuel exemption other than to let people buy their way out of the regular lanes and to increase the sales of Honda and Toyota. This "clean fuel" law should reflect tested emissions, not perceived(ie marketing hype) emissions. At the very least they need to require Honda to sell the cleaner version of their hybrids here instead of the stripped down dirtier version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic