Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 11:08am
I didn't know that. Thank you. Now I am really going to start having signs all over my car that say "Death to Hybrids." JK. [:o)]

quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by spolastre
[br]Ron, I feel the same way. Even though they use clean fuel, they are increasing traffic. If you want to help the environment, instead of getting in the car and slowing down traffic on the HOV, why don't you pick up people that do not have Hybrids and by doing that, you will be helping the earth in two ways.

Hybrids don't use a clean fuel. They use gas just like most other cars. That's part of the gripe with them, they aren't cleaner than a lot of other cars and yet they still get special treatment. There is no logic to including hybrids in the clean special fuel exemption other than to let people buy their way out of the regular lanes and to increase the sales of Honda and Toyota. This "clean fuel" law should reflect tested emissions, not perceived(ie marketing hype) emissions. At the very least they need to require Honda to sell the cleaner version of their hybrids here instead of the stripped down dirtier version.

Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 11:18am
I don't think you mean "death to hybrids" but "death to exemptions" for everyone who doesn't comply with HOV-3 (I think police and motorcycles should get off the road too). Hybrids do get better gas mileage, but they aren't what they are advertised to be. It's a step in the right direction for more fuel efficient autos.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 11:32am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by spolastre
[br]Ron, I feel the same way. Even though they use clean fuel, they are increasing traffic. If you want to help the environment, instead of getting in the car and slowing down traffic on the HOV, why don't you pick up people that do not have Hybrids and by doing that, you will be helping the earth in two ways.

Hybrids don't use a clean fuel. They use gas just like most other cars. That's part of the gripe with them, they aren't cleaner than a lot of other cars and yet they still get special treatment. There is no logic to including hybrids in the clean special fuel exemption other than to let people buy their way out of the regular lanes and to increase the sales of Honda and Toyota. This "clean fuel" law should reflect tested emissions, not perceived(ie marketing hype) emissions. At the very least they need to require Honda to sell the cleaner version of their hybrids here instead of the stripped down dirtier version.

Wow-I didn't know that! Do you happen to know of a website etc where I could read about this?

Live Long and Prosper
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 2:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura

Wow-I didn't know that! Do you happen to know of a website etc where I could read about this?

Live Long and Prosper

Go to Honda's website and read all the fine print. Or try the EPA's green vehicle guide and pay attention to sales areas and engine codes for all the different model of the hybrids. For example:
http://www.epa.gov./greenvehicles/E-HONDA-CivicHybrid-04.htm

The engine code 4HNXV01.35A6 (under vehicle specs) is the one sold here. Now look at the sales area for this engine code. The sales area that includes Virginia gets a 6 score...not very good. What the sales area really means is what gasoline is used for testing. Since California has the CARB gasoline that runs very clean, the car in that sales are gets a better score. For some idiotic reason, the 5 northeastern states that use CARB standards get that rating even though they don't sell CARB gasoline there. You can see how they are included in the sales area with California.
For the rest of the country the rating is based on using regular gasoline. That's how we get the 6 rating here. Just to fully disclose all the details we do have reformulated gasoline in the metro DC area, but not the whole state. It is cleaner than regular gas, but not as clean as CARB gas. So the true rating here may be a 6 or 7. There is no way to know, but remember the other "normal cars" ratings would also increase with reformulated gas. Even if the Honda hybrid did get a 7 here, it still wouldn't be cleaner than a lot of other cars on the road.
If you look at those rating you can also see how misleading the SULEV rating is. The other engine code is the cleaner version that is sold in California and gets their SULVEV rating. Notice how it get a 10 rating in CA while using CARB gasoline, but only an 8 while using regular gasoline. I always here people saying that their SULEV rated car is 90% cleaner than the average car. What they are saying is that their car running on CARB gas pollutes 90% less than the average car running on regular gasoline. This is comparing apples to oranges since the cars are running on different fuels. The SULEV rated Honda hybrid spits out 5-6 times as much pollution running on regular gas versus CARB gas and the average car would spit out a lot less pollution if run on the CARB gas instead of the regular gasoline. Just look at how many "normal cars" score a 10 in the California market!
The public perception that hybrids are inherently cleaner than regular cars is a fallacy. Hybrids are only more fuel efficient, not cleaner running. Now if you want to take into account the environmental pollution related to having to procure more oil, then you might have an argument. But as far as air quality around the metro DC area is concerned, hybrids aren't helping one bit. They are actually hurting by inducing people to not bother carpooling. This is why they need to be removed from the HOV lanes, they aren't deserving of a clean fuel exemption.

Sorry I keep repeating myself. But I'm hoping that if I keep repeating myself it will sink in to more people.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2004 at 2:59pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura

Live Long and Prosper

Go to Honda's website and read all the fine print. Or try the EPA's green vehicle guide and pay attention to sales areas and engine codes for all the different model of the hybrids. For example:
http://www.epa.gov./greenvehicles/E-HONDA-CivicHybrid-04.htm

The engine code 4HNXV01.35A6 (under vehicle specs) is the one sold here. Now look at the sales area for this engine code. The sales area that includes Virginia gets a 6 score...not very good. What the sales area really means is what gasoline is used for testing. Since California has the CARB gasoline that runs very clean, the car in that sales are gets a better score. For some idiotic reason, the 5 northeastern states that use CARB standards get that rating even though they don't sell CARB gasoline there. You can see how they are included in the sales area with California.
For the rest of the country the rating is based on using regular gasoline. That's how we get the 6 rating here. Just to fully disclose all the details we do have reformulated gasoline in the metro DC area, but not the whole state. It is cleaner than regular gas, but not as clean as CARB gas. So the true rating here may be a 6 or 7. There is no way to know, but remember the other "normal cars" ratings would also increase with reformulated gas. Even if the Honda hybrid did get a 7 here, it still wouldn't be cleaner than a lot of other cars on the road.
If you look at those rating you can also see how misleading the SULEV rating is. The other engine code is the cleaner version that is sold in California and gets their SULVEV rating. Notice how it get a 10 rating in CA while using CARB gasoline, but only an 8 while using regular gasoline. I always here people saying that their SULEV rated car is 90% cleaner than the average car. What they are saying is that their car running on CARB gas pollutes 90% less than the average car running on regular gasoline. This is comparing apples to oranges since the cars are running on different fuels. The SULEV rated Honda hybrid spits out 5-6 times as much pollution running on regular gas versus CARB gas and the average car would spit out a lot less pollution if run on the CARB gas instead of the regular gasoline. Just look at how many "normal cars" score a 10 in the California market!
The public perception that hybrids are inherently cleaner than regular cars is a fallacy. Hybrids are only more fuel efficient, not cleaner running. Now if you want to take into account the environmental pollution related to having to procure more oil, then you might have an argument. But as far as air quality around the metro DC area is concerned, hybrids aren't helping one bit. They are actually hurting by inducing people to not bother carpooling. This is why they need to be removed from the HOV lanes, they aren't deserving of a clean fuel exemption.

Sorry I keep repeating myself. But I'm hoping that if I keep repeating myself it will sink in to more people.

This is really disappointing. I think most of us would hope that these vehicles are less damaging to the environment or that car makers are making an honest attempt to move in that direction...

Live Long and Prosper
sancochojoe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sancochojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 8:08am
I don't think its the hybrids at all they just seem to be the easiest group to blame, because they are so visible to everyone.

I think its the increased amount of people moving into the suburbs due to the high cost of living closer to DC. Developments are sprouting up everywhere, south of DC. I would imagine the majority of the residents moving to the suburbs will be additional commuters driving on I-95 and HOV. So it would be logical to conclude that even if they dropped Hybrids from driving on the HOV lanes, congestion on the HOV lanes will continue to persist. Removing Hybrids is only a bandade solution to the real problem. As voters, focus should be put towards addressing the outdated 3 lane I-95 and the lack of alternate routes to move people south towards the Fredericksburg area. Maybe a revamping of Route 1 into an express way would help. The increased population in the suburbs is not going to decrease anytime soon and blaming Hybrids is the least of our problems. The more people moving towards Fredricksburg, the more trafic you will see on both the HOV and I-95. Especially if upgrade construction change on the HOV, I-95 and Route-1 remains static.
It does not appear to be anytime soon.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 9:36am
sancochojoe,
Hybrids are the #1 issue in the HOV, repeat HOV, lanes. Remove them and see how much HOV improves.

Are you suggesting that they be ignored, and things left as-is, even though they are NOT even CLEAN FUEL cars?
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 9:45am
Originally posted by sancochojoe

You are correct that the real problem is the increased population because the HOV was backing up long before Hybrids were introduced. Probably the only real solution to the traffic problem is a better public transportation systems = trains, light rail. Hybrids bear the brunt of everyone's ire because they are visible, so if you can pick up extra riders do so. The slug system does make it more flexible that a formal carpool.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 10:01am
Stuck2

I AGREE -- I AGREE -- I AGREE. More and better public transportation!!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get up, put my butt on a train and get to work. Unless a person is going to the center of D.C. though, there really aren't any good public transportation options. I also think that a VERY important need is a BY-PASS AROUND the the NoVa/D.C./Baltimore area. All of the North/South coastal traffic MUST go straight through here to go up and down the coast, and that doesn't help at all. I've actually begun to believe that the rush hours aren't the worst times to travel here. Weekends and nights, I almost don't want to get on the road at all either.

ScarletLSG

>>Probably the only real solution to the traffic problem is a better public transportation systems = trains, light rail. Hybrids bear the brunt of everyone's ire because they are visible, so if you can pick up extra riders do so.<<
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 1:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Stuck2

I AGREE -- I AGREE -- I AGREE. More and better public transportation!!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get up, put my butt on a train and get to work. Unless a person is going to the center of D.C. though, there really aren't any good public transportation options. I also think that a VERY important need is a BY-PASS AROUND the the NoVa/D.C./Baltimore area. All of the North/South coastal traffic MUST go straight through here to go up and down the coast, and that doesn't help at all. I've actually begun to believe that the rush hours aren't the worst times to travel here. Weekends and nights, I almost don't want to get on the road at all either.

ScarletLSG

>>Probably the only real solution to the traffic problem is a better public transportation systems = trains, light rail. Hybrids bear the brunt of everyone's ire because they are visible, so if you can pick up extra riders do so.<<

A train system from the Potomac Mills area that fed dirctly into the Metro rail would be great, but would a train system change the "suburban feel" of the area? I'm kind of divided about this...

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic