Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 1:50pm
Well, given the population explosion, can't really plan to keep the "burb" outlook on life. In Europe, could get around without a car in the "burbs." Why not here? I know this is off topic and I suggest changing topic to "10,000 ways to say 'I hate Hybrids!'", because hybrids won't get of HOV lanes, they'll just have to be HOV3.
Cousin Caterpillar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cousin Caterpillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 2:03pm
Hybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

This topic brings a couple things to mind.

First, Georgia has devised a carrot~n~stick based approach to keep hybrid owners in a constant state of HOVL confusion.

Carrot - Use an AFV Tag application that creates the illusion that hybrid owners can use HOVLs 24/7, no passenger required, in exchange for an annual $25 "highway user" fee.

Stick - Swarm down on the unsuspecting hybrid driver with the full force of (G)DOT HOVL Law as soon as the first hybrid tire breeches the HOVL space.

After this harrowing experience, most hybrid owners sell the hybrid, change their identity and buy a normal vehicle, just as fast as you can say His 'n Her Hummers.

There are exceptions, such as this fellow, who not only kept his hybrid but actually had the courage to post the truth about his crime spree on the web! GOD BLESS YOU, MAN! RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!
You might have noticed that the last update to his MPG table was 6/27/01, just a few short weeks after his brush with the law, but I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Oh yeah. The second thing is, does anyone have a link to a site where I might find topics like this one?

Motor Vehicles ! Get them off the HOV lanes and all other roadways!!

(first post) Uhhh...maybe it's just me but has anyone else noticed that motor vehicles..uhhhh, well, stink?

nostrildumas

(no one else responds)

Sorry...lost my head...I think I'm deep-breathing too much exhaust during my bike commute.

just cuz

[edit] Replaced "Lincoln Navigator" with "His 'n Her Hummers"[/edit]
[edit] added stink[/edit]
jumpmanz5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumpmanz5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2004 at 1:32pm
If one of the benefits of owning a Hybrid is riding in the HOV without any passengers, what's my benefit of owning a regular car? Nothing!! I get to sit in the HOV with violators and Hybrid drivers, which just increases the traffic there. What's going to happen when the number of Hybrid owners increase by 50%? When that happens you'll have to then ask what's the benefit of the HOV lines? And again Nothing!! It's just going to be full of single drivers (violators and Hybrids)!!!!

Regardless of what vehicle you drive it should meet the HOV requirement of 3 passengers. Let the Troopers weed out the violators with higher ticket fines and point on your record.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2004 at 1:58pm
So you are saying that police and motorcycles should be kicked off too? Old and tiresome discussion. Hybrids will eventually lose exemption. If you are peeved, please write your politician -- only way you can constructive be heard. I believe the addresses have been posted many times before. But until such a time that the exemption is gone, it's just another thing you have to live with -- along with the construction, silly accidents, and so forth and so on.
Cousin Caterpillar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cousin Caterpillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 1:11am
If one of the benefits of owning a Hybrid is riding in the HOV without any passengers, what's my benefit of owning a regular car?

Glad you asked, jumpman!

TOP 10 BENEFITS OF OWNING A REGULAR CAR

10. You can pick up a gallon of milk in half the time it took Sally Hemming's kids to milk a cow.

9. A regular car simplifies your tax return.

8. Slugs tell you your regular car is their best ride ever.

7. You almost never see the energizer bunny in your rear-view mirror.

6. You boycott nuclear energy by burning solar-derived dinofuel.

5. Your neighbors think you're less weird.

4. You can use your Demolition Derby skills to force hybrids out of the HOV lanes.

3. You can travel more miles in a day than Jesus walked in his lifetime.

2. A regular car brings back sweet memories of regular gas.

1. Nothing!!

just cuz

[edit]Added italics[/edit]
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 9:06am
Now that's funny!
Mrs.KLB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.KLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2004 at 2:20pm
Oh who cares those little ugly vehicles are here to stay! end of story, the end yada yada yada!!!

Mrs. B
Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 8:38am
I am proud of the little Hybrid drivers today. I saw at least three different vehicles, all with 3 people in them. Wonderful! I can only assume that the self absorbed attitude is dissolving, and many others are doing the same, picking up slugs. How do I know this? Traffic was again a breeze, I'll attribute it to the fact that for each of these vehicles, there were two less Hybrids on the road. I know, I know, it is mid-summer and that may have something to do with it....but let me enjoy the moment proudly. See, it wasn't that tough, was it?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 8:46am
Wait till September. Believe me, they will all be back from their little vacations, "en masse".

Incidentally, does anyone know if they are allowing the hybrid sport utes to have the exception? Has anyone actually seen one yet? I probably sent about 5 emails over the past 6 months trying to prevent this from happening.

Bob
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 1:01pm
I'm not certain, but the way the law is currently written I think they will have to let hybrid suv's on HOV.

Incidentally, I read something interesting on VDOT's FAQ section of its website the other day:

Q: Can I use Virginia's HOV lanes in my hybrid vehicle even though my car is registered in Maryland?

A: In order for a hybrid vehicle to use Virginia's HOV lanes, you must have Virginia clean special fuel license plates. This is the only way we have to monitor the use of these lanes when there is only one individual in a car. In order for Virginia to honor Maryland plates, we would need a reciprocal agreement between the two states, and no such agreement exists to our knowledge.

I know that's it's not a big deal, but I have seen a number of out-of-state hybrids on HOV.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Wait till September. Believe me, they will all be back from their little vacations, "en masse".

Incidentally, does anyone know if they are allowing the hybrid sport utes to have the exception? Has anyone actually seen one yet? I probably sent about 5 emails over the past 6 months trying to prevent this from happening.

Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic