Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Rd - Stop doing this??!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horner Rd - Stop doing this??!!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 1:35pm
This really irks me.....

While I, as well as many other LOYAL drivers are waiting in line for slugs to get into our vehicles - there are several cars that just drive down "the hill" pick up folks, and then just hop on HOV. Granted, maybe 5% of those folks have a meetup spot for carpools, but what about the other 95%?? Not only am I disturbed by the Cheating Drivers....but also with the Cheating Slugs. In the meantime, we sit in line and next thing you know it's 25 minutes later, and you then begin to wonder if you could've been on the road too, if you had cheated? Is anyone feeling me on this one?

Also - for the Cheating Slugs....I understand that " the hill" is hard on the legs sometimes, but us LOYAL drivers are waiting for you, and even if it was 9:00, most of the time, US LOYAL drivers would still offer you a ride....can you say that about the Cheats??

Let's all try to be fair. k?[;)]
spolastre View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 1:39pm
It's good exercise!!! You could promote that to get people to start doing it. [:D]

quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]This really irks me.....

While I, as well as many other LOYAL drivers are waiting in line for slugs to get into our vehicles - there are several cars that just drive down "the hill" pick up folks, and then just hop on HOV. Granted, maybe 5% of those folks have a meetup spot for carpools, but what about the other 95%?? Not only am I disturbed by the Cheating Drivers....but also with the Cheating Slugs. In the meantime, we sit in line and next thing you know it's 25 minutes later, and you then begin to wonder if you could've been on the road too, if you had cheated? Is anyone feeling me on this one?

Also - for the Cheating Slugs....I understand that " the hill" is hard on the legs sometimes, but us LOYAL drivers are waiting for you, and even if it was 9:00, most of the time, US LOYAL drivers would still offer you a ride....can you say that about the Cheats??

slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 1:43pm
By the way......When I "do" slug, I do not accept a ride as I walk up the hill. When they say "Pentagon", I say "no", ..Then they'll say "where are you going", and I just say - I'm going to the line. I know it's tempting, but just say no.
jazzzye View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzzye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2004 at 11:19am
I am irked by the cheating too!!! I drive as often as I ride so I get to experience both waiting in long lines for riders as well as the long hike to the line. When walking, I have been approached, increasingly more often by cheating drivers. The system will only continue to work well if people follow the rules. If slugs stop accepting rides in the parking lot, the cheating will stop. When asked where you are going, "to the line" is the best response -- keep walking :-).

quote:

slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2004 at 3:35pm
Thanks for responding...I was beginning to think I was the only one that was bothered by this[:)]

quote:
Originally posted by jazzzye
[br]I am irked by the cheating too!!! I drive as often as I ride so I get to experience both waiting in long lines for riders as well as the long hike to the line. When walking, I have been approached, increasingly more often by cheating drivers. The system will only continue to work well if people follow the rules. If slugs stop accepting rides in the parking lot, the cheating will stop. When asked where you are going, "to the line" is the best response -- keep walking :-).

quote:

Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 8:03am
quote:

I pick up @ Horner, and I have observed this problem. I agree-the system operates less efficienty if folks don't follow the rules.

The question is how can we get the word out?

I think that people will probably keep doing this-esp in the winter or when it's raining...

Live Long and Prosper
gt1318 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt1318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 1:33pm
Anyone have any thoughts on picking up people with signs as they walk along Crystal Drive in Crystal City?
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 1:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by gt1318
[br]Anyone have any thoughts on picking up people with signs as they walk along Crystal Drive in Crystal City?

Yes, but probably not the one you want to hear. I've both picked up and have been picked up walking down Crystal Drive. My logic being, those that are working in the Gateway buildings have an unfair advantage over those in the Airport or Park buildings as far as access to the line, so I've always been cool with that. For drivers AND slugs alike. I tried to even the odds at one point and start a separate line at CPK 2, but no one bought on to the idea. I've never seen anyone stranded after 1800, so it must not be that big of a deal. I think it evens out.
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 2:21pm
It's kind of dangerous to pick up people on the way because they've now made much of Crystal Drive two-way. I drive all the way down to Crystal Gateway unless it's raining and I see people getting soaked.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 2:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by gt1318
[br]Anyone have any thoughts on picking up people with signs as they walk along Crystal Drive in Crystal City?

I have two regular slugs, but when one of them is absent we try to catch someone walking along Crystal Drive with a sign..

Is that considered "cheating"?

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic