Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where's the HOV enforcement????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where's the HOV enforcement????
    Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 7:05am
OK, almost a month ago VDOT raised the fines for HOV-3 violators, right .... my question is, how do they possibly intend to utilize this if there's practically NO enforcement???

This is absolutely infuriating! Since July 1, I have noticed MANY more violators and almost no police presence on the HOV-3 lanes! Where are the days when they had the barrage of vehicles staged and the entrance and exit ramps of the HOV-3 lanes??

Is it just me noticing this?

Thanks for letting me vent, but this is absurd!

Kolohe
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 7:13am
Nope, Not just you. I also find it kind of stupid when you see a state trooper on the springfield bridge (The exit that is for HOV north to springfield) but is watching traffic going North and the HOV is going sotuh. Why isnt he catching the many violators around? Also there was a car pulled over the other morning in the normal lanes in the shoulder in the fast lane. There was a trooper on his side and then a trooper on the HOV side. But the trooper on the HOV side was just standing against the concrete barrier yackin it up. People are seriously getting a free ride this month. There is no way they are at there average. I hope they didnt think that just by raising the fines it would stop people from breaking the law. Hopefully they are just playing a game and on Friday before the end of the month they are gonna do a huge crack down.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 12:37pm
I just have to say that yesterday on the ride home an SUV cut me off and almost ran me off the road. The driver was a violator trying to get into the left lane to avoid the police officer pulled over on the right shoulder giving out a ticket. I was so upset with this driver...BUT....about 5 minutes later that driver called pulled over!! It was WONDERFUL :) Apparently a police officer was driving a few cars ahead of us. The police officer pulled over on the left shoulder and waited for us to pass him, then he pulled out and I let him get in front of me so that he could pull over the SUV. It was so great. He pulled up right next to the car and motioned for him to pull over. It just made my day
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 1:18pm
I've noticed troopers tagging violators in two unique places this past week....once in the morning at the Pentagon ramp...he had 3 violators pulled over and was motioning for more - it was GREAT!..never had seen that one before. The other was in the afternoon at the Landmark(?) off-ramp onto I-95 south. I think they're doing their job, just may not be quite so obvious as a saturation might be, but they're getting 'em. Give them credit - it's not an easy job....
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 1:45pm
I rarely see any enforcement between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. and that's when the most violators are out there. Occassionally I will see (1) a police officer sitting on the side of the road, looking like he is ready to get someone, and then several blatant violators pass and he does nothing [:(!]or (2) you see a random cop with one car pulled over at a time (like that is really doing anything). They need to be smart and make the most out of it and sit at the exit and entry points with two cops (one to point the violators over and one to write the tickets). If you are as fed up with the situation as I am, you can write the POC listed below. He is with the state police and if we complain enough about the lack of HOV enforcement, they may actually do something about it.

Bud Cox
Management Analyst
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
bcox@vsp.state.va.us
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2004 at 9:48pm
The VSP had the right idea last Thursday on the Dulles Access Road. At the point where the Toll Road and Access Road split there were 4 (yes, FOUR) troopers there with 6-8 cars pulled over. CUCV_Owner and I both hooted and waved at the boys in blue for their great display of enforcement. If only they'd do it every day!!! [:D]
Kolohe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 8:13am
Slugbuddy,

Thanks so much for the POC information. Letter written and sent! The more people that complain, we may get them doing more enforcement at all times of the month instead of just the last week.

Kolohe
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 8:47am
The VSP were out having fun this morning on the Dulles Connector/I-66 inbound. CUCV_Owner and I watched one cruiser pull a violator over out of a line of vehicles, then saw another cruiser right at the Dulles/I-66 EB merge poised to pounce. Oh, how we love the blinky blues!!!!! [8D]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2004 at 8:26pm
Yesterday - 8/10, the enforcement was tending to an accident in the main lanes.

Too bad too. They could have nabbed the violator who slowed down to almost a stop trying to exit at Seminary. The idiot, in the right lane no less, pulled into the left lane causing 2 motorcyclists to hit the brakes/go off onto the shoulder.

All the cars, us included, got around him ASAP. The three of us, the driver and two riders, looked at him, just incredulous. And he looked right backed, oblivious...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2004 at 6:46am
Enforcement report - inside the beltway on I-395 HOV - this morning at 6:15 - VA State Trooper pulled over a Honda Accord violator near Edsall Road. Hope they keep it up! [;)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic