Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver Solicited Money from Slugs for Ride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver Solicited Money from Slugs for Ride
    Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 6:05am
On August 31st, I received the following email from a fellow slug regarding an attempt from a driver to make the slug pay for the ride.

"Yesterday I was picked up and taken from 14th and New York Avenue by two individuals that when we got to horner Rd that tried to charge me $5.00 to take me to the bottom lot and I told them no and I was not playing. One guy said oh I am just joking but he was not. I am sorry I did not get the tag number but believe me if I see them again I will. This is an not good and I am a woman who is trusting in getting in the car with two men and usually I do not unless I feel comforatable and I should have know better when I did not have a good feel when they drove up."

I'm glad she refused to pay and that nothing came of this. As always, be careful and report incidents such as this so that we (as a slugging community) can safeguard ourselves!

glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 8:42am
Thanks Admin.

Cheers,

Glacier
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 10:51am
Personally - I think it was "just a joke" - I've asked people to drop me at the end of the lot...and they would jokingly respond...."that'll be extra" - but it's only out of humor. People know the rules, and I doubt if anyone would actually attempt to charge someone. ya think??

quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]On August 31st, I received the following email from a fellow slug regarding an attempt from a driver to make the slug pay for the ride.

"Yesterday I was picked up and taken from 14th and New York Avenue by two individuals that when we got to horner Rd that tried to charge me $5.00 to take me to the bottom lot and I told them no and I was not playing. One guy said oh I am just joking but he was not. I am sorry I did not get the tag number but believe me if I see them again I will. This is an not good and I am a woman who is trusting in getting in the car with two men and usually I do not unless I feel comforatable and I should have know better when I did not have a good feel when they drove up."

I'm glad she refused to pay and that nothing came of this. As always, be careful and report incidents such as this so that we (as a slugging community) can safeguard ourselves!

VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 11:36am
I agree Slugbug; I really believe it was done in jest. I too have had drivers "jokingly" state exact change only at the end of the ride. [;)]
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 12:02pm
If she felt threatened or uncomfortable, it was not a joke![:(]
slugbug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 1:21pm
But even so......What is there to feel "threatened" about if she says they did ask for money? Yes it's a "no-no" - but definitely not something we need to "SAFEGUARD" ourselves on???!!! I still believe she took a statement out of context, and that's my opinion, so i'll leave it alone now. [:D]

quote:
Originally posted by SJS
[br]If she felt threatened or uncomfortable, it was not a joke![:(]

SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 1:33pm
Come on Slugbug, maybe threatened was not the right word BUT it is obvious that she felt intimidated because the driver and other passenger were male. And, just for the record, there was a driver several years ago that tried to charge slugs for heat and air conditioning. So, it does happen. Never say never![:p]
gsm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 1:29pm
I agree. The woman this happened to was there and would have the best take on in tone and manner) the intent of the driver. Those of you who deem it a joke were not there and cannot, therefore, with any credibility judge the driver's intent.

quote:
Originally posted by SJS
[br]Come on Slugbug, maybe threatened was not the right word BUT it is obvious that she felt intimidated because the driver and other passenger were male. And, just for the record, there was a driver several years ago that tried to charge slugs for heat and air conditioning. So, it does happen. Never say never![:p]

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:11am
I think the woman in question was certainly in the best position to determine if the statement(s) were threatening. Maybe to her it seemed that way whereas to some others it might appear to be a joke. Apparently Admin thought the story was creditable enough to post on our site. I think the incident warrants warning us of, besides, it makes sense because we have the method and ability to alert others.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:27am
I think that a man can joke with another man in the context of (joking or otherwise) about there being an expense. As a woman, I read that this lady was most likely intimidated by these two men. Perhaps it was their conversation, demeanor, dress, vehicle, and (most important) the fact she compromised on a rule she established for herself by getting into a vehicle with two male occupants.

Either way people, I would say that a great odd exists that the vehicle she was occupying had a handle for her egress upon arriving at the lot. A simple... "that comment was not necessary" would suffice and if you are a woman and you have established a set of rules then don't compromise. Carry your mace or pepper spray, read a book, and try your best to relax.

I have a friend who will not slug. She looks like a carved pumpkin 2 weeks after halloween and is every bit of 350lbs and a feminist. Every male out there is a potential rape threat to her and can violate her in some way and this upsets me. Take her purse maybe, for the few coins she carries, but to exist with the notion that getting into a vehicle with two men is cause for alarm is just plain BS.

To the ladies on this forum. Ever shake a man's hand? They don't feel like yours do they. Chances are that although they may be a paper pusher during the day, the are a weekend warrior occupied with building a deck, riding their motorcycles, fixing a fence (and although a man will spend $200.00 to fix a $50.00 door... their dutiful projects do get them out of our hair... See, men are useful!) and just like their hands... their personalities can be a bit rough. They joke and say not so nice or pleasant things all the time. Its their nature. Their conversations are not about candle making, Michael's, and their latest finds at Lord Taylors. Thinking back to my college days when a professor made a male friend of mine write on the wall, "I will not be a rude crude dude to the ladies" 500 times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic