Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 11:14am
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]In rural areas, if speed limits are 55 ... some cars are going 55, some 65+ -- THAT causes the accidents.

ScarletLSG

So using your above statement, when I was traveling from LA to Las Vegas on I-15, I went faster than the speed limit. In fact, I passed many cars on the long journey that were doing below, right at, and above the speed limit. So, according to you, I should have caused an accident. Funny, I didn't....hmmmmm.

Once again, speed itself doesn't kill. It's the idiot behind the wheel that is to blame (I.E. going 100 mph on a snow covered road, what's to blame, the speed, or the idiot for going 100mph on a snow covered road?). I have been on the German Autobahn at speeds over 110mph. Didn't have a crash then, according to you I should have.

I go the speed that traffic allows (up to my comfort level, which is 80mph). I don't weave in and out, I have a safe car (full airbags, stability system, ABS, V-rated tires).

From reading all the posts, I guess we have to agree to disagree on this issue.
kdaleb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 12:08pm
FWIW, in my car, the speedometer is slightly off. When my speedometer reads 50 mph the vehicle is really going about 4 mph slower. When I'm drive in, my speedometer often stays at about 80 mph, but the actual speed is less than 75 mph.

I think the reason in my vehicle is that the tires are not the same size as the factory originals. I'm sure there are others with a similarly faulty speedometers.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 12:26pm
Scottt,

Generally speaking, YES disparate speeds DO cause accidents. No ... YOU haven't had one ... YET. But I would venture to guess that someday you may. The way I view driving in the D.C. Metro area is this: You've either had an accident, caused an accident or are just in the queue to have an accident. I had mine last November.

I was in the right lane, going the speed limit, braked slightly for a merging on-ramp vehicle. Guy going 80 mph in center lane, tried to pace in the right lane, didn't see my brake light and destroyed the back end of my very new car. I figure I'm now in the "had an accident" category.

I'm sure you are a VERY safe driver and that your car has its protective force field in place at all times ... I hope you always remain in the category of "in the queue to have an accident" -- as then you'll be able to maintain your unsafe speeds and holier-than-thou attitude.

ScarletLSG
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 2:04pm
The speed limit is set for a reason. People should abide by what is set by LAW. If you are going over the limit then you will just have to do so on your own time away from anyone else, preferrably on a race track. I would hazard a guess that when the LAW says travel on the right and pass on the left, it didn't intend for the left hand traffic to be going 20+ miles OVER the limit. Give me a break on the speed issue -- if it won't kill you, it'll kill the person in the other car. Also, it wouldn't hurt for everyone of you out there to remember we are ALL trying to get home to loved ones. (Was an almost victim of a stupid truck swerving from behind me -- would have lost my daughter.)
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 2:34pm
quote:
[br]Scottt,

Generally speaking, YES disparate speeds DO cause accidents.

ScarletLSG

I am 35, and have been involved in 10 accidents (none my fault) in which I was a driver of one of the cars. Speed was a factor in ZERO of the accidents.

#1 Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic
#2 Car cut off semi, semi's back trailer flipped and slid into me backwards
#3 Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic
#4 rear ended in carwash
#5 tow truck backed into me
#6 person rolled back into me at stoplight
#7 bumper ripped from car by improperly mounted parking divider
#8 person turned left into me from non-left turn lane
#9 Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic
#10 Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic

#'s 4-9 were all in the same car in a 4 yr period. The others were all different cars each.

So, since I've been speeding for 19 yrs, you'd think (according to you) that I'd be having speed related accidents left and right.

I have seen speed related accidents, but they were because the moron behind the wheel thought they could drive very fast in the rain. Again, not the speed that did it but the idiot behind the wheel. Off all my friends and relatives, none has ever been involved in a speed related accident.

According to your logic, how to you explain this? Guess my force field is working very well.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 2:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]The speed limit is set for a reason. People should abide by what is set by LAW.

Really? you might want to visit www.dumblaws.com and other such sites.

Saw this law on a tv show a few years ago:

Since it's a law in PA (don't think they've repealed it yet), I'm sure when you drive there and come to an intersection, you stop your car, wait a set period of time (it was in minutes, but can't remember the specific amount), then get out, wave a red flag, get back in, wait the same amount of time, then get out, wave a lantern, get back in, wait set amount of time, then get out, fire a rifle, get back in and wait set amount of time, then you may proceed.

If you don't, then you are not abiding by the LAW. What you recommend, death by stoning?

And God help you if you have sex in anything other than the missionary position. I'll be by to check.

Seriously tho, the point I'm trying to make is that some laws were good at the time, and maybe not now. I have passed many officers going over the speed limit, why (according to you) did they not pull me over that second? Why, most likely they are looking for the people who are weaving in and out of traffic and doing other unsafe things. Those of us going with the flow of traffic, they leave alone. Now, am I saying that if I get pulled over and get a ticket that the cop is wrong and I'm right? Absolutely not. I'm 100% wrong, and I pay my fine and move on with my life.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 7:03pm
Okay, #1, #3,#9, #10 -- all were "Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic." -- and you state that "Speed was a factor in ZERO of the accidents." My claim is that DISPARATE speed is the cause of accidents. IF you were rear ended then YOU were going slower than the individual that rear ended you, which caused you to have the accident. DISPARATE SPEEDS.

Oh ... I thought you'd agreed to disagree.

ScarletLSG
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:07am
Just think. If everyone traveled at about the posted speed, the amount and seriousness of the accidents would reduce. Can't say they'll all disappear because of human error. But if everyone stepped back and relaxed, then some of the error would disappear. For all of you who do speed, speed is not 100% of the problem; human error is probably 90% but speed maximizes the error. And the cars of today -- going 80+ is a piece of cake. I've looked down and done a double take! It does take a conscious effort to keep to or close to the posted speeds. For the speed demons, save it for the OPEN road--it's not meant for rush hour traffic or heavily populated areas.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 11:38am
It seems to me that none of you are replying on-topic. Your discussion should be moved to another forum dealing with speed limit safety issues.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 4:45pm
quote:
[br]Okay, #1, #3,#9, #10 -- all were "Rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic." -- and you state that "Speed was a factor in ZERO of the accidents." My claim is that DISPARATE speed is the cause of accidents. IF you were rear ended then YOU were going slower than the individual that rear ended you, which caused you to have the accident. DISPARATE SPEEDS.

Oh ... I thought you'd agreed to disagree.

ScarletLSG

Don't agree with your use of disparate. I was going zero, they were going 5 mph. Not that much of a difference.

Ok, I've said more than my $0.02. I guess if you stay to the right, and I stay to the left of the road we'll get along fine :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic