Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13yearslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!
    Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 11:07am
Is anyone else having trouble parking at Horner Road??

We're trying to find out if others are having as much difficulty as many of us are in that the lot seems to be filling up (Max.) by 7:30 at the latest, and people are being forced to park illegally and on the street.

Does anyone have any good ideas of how we can fix this problem. Someone said they thought it was b/c people from Potomac Mills and Hechingers are starting to park there b/c it was easier to get rides, but I'm not sure the lot can handle all the attention it's getting.

Good ideas needed!!! Maybe we need to bring this to the attention of our county sups. that there is a huge need here????
13yearslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13yearslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 1:18pm
Rt. 1/123 may be one mile down the road (though I think it's a little longer), it's at least 20 minutes away from Horner with the morning traffic on Old Bridge, Rt. 1, 95 or any other route from Horner to there. Anyway, that was a badly designed lot from the get go, b/c it's difficult at best to get to, and the bus isn't really a regular option for people who slug, which are the main users of this site.

I think people have a logistical problem utilizing a lot that is further south, b/c it's almost impossible to get to these lots during rush hour traffic.

Tacketts is ok, but it's almost impossible to slug back to there from D.C., which is a large part of the traffic in Horner Rd. with 14th and 18th Street lines. I think these are the main reasons Horner is so appealing to so many people. And, if the county sups. really thought this was an issue that needed to be addressed, I think they would and could (before all the land is developed or too expensive to purchase)!!!
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:18am
I tried Potomac today and parking was easy and the commute was fine. There aren't many drivers going to 14th Street though so it would be nice to see more drivers coming over (I got there about 8 am today). Hopefully drivers will be willing to return to Potomac too. That would help alleviate some of the problems at Horner with parking if we could get people back over to Potomac.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 7:57am
I think the threads alluding to the tickets drivers are receiving at Horner are leading to the parking on Telegraph and other problems. I agree with Roadrunner, it does not take 20 minutes from Tacketts, Horner or any other lot in the Woodbridge area to get to the 123 lot. At the most, 10 minutes even during rush hour. All the lots around the area are probably full by 8 a.m., with the exception being the 123 lot. I'm afraid VDOT won't make any changes until that lot is being utilized to its fullest.
13yearslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13yearslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 12:26pm
Roadrunner: I did actually take your advice yesterday when I couldn't find a parking space at Horner and drove from Horner Rd. to Hechingers. B/t waiting on Telegraph forever to get onto Old Bridge and Rush hour traffic, it did take me 20 minutes -- but I did find parking. But, I also had to take the bus home at night b/c I couldn't get a ride from DC (and driving home along Old Bridge was almost as painful as the morning!!!). So, that's not very doable for my situation.

I apologize and didn't mean to "slam" your response. It was not the intention at all. I've just heard so many times from county people to use the new 123 lot, and it is not flexible for people with my commute (and probably many others since it's so empty).

Thanks for your response, and good ideas are always appreciated even if it wasn't totally apparent -- sorry......
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 1:10pm
I know how inconvenient 123 is, but I do believe that some day there will be slugging there.

The one idea I have if VDOT is really interested in getting the 123 lot utilized would be to do a shuttle service between Horner and this lot, at least until people start to park there. I know it sounds strange, but I do believe it could work. As I recall, a while back when we had a lot of discussions about the Stafford parking, there were county officials that actually did approve a shuttle. Does anyone know anything about that?

Bob
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 2:10pm
They did have a shuttle for a couple of weeks between the old 610 lot and the Mine Rd lot. There was limited funding so they didn't keep it up very long. I never rode on it myself.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 2:23pm
There is a PRTC shuttle that goes around Lake Ridge. I don't where or how far it goes, but maybe VDOT can contact them to do that. Actaully I might start a similar deal when I retire in 18 months. By that time, parking will be off the charts.

Also "13years" - where would you intersect Telegraph and Old Bridge? I don't believe they do. I believe you mean Telegraph and Minnieville. Thanks
aaron_the_prince View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron_the_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2004 at 3:47pm
I went to Potomac Mills this morning (9/21, 8:10 a.m.). There was plenty of parking (for the riders). However, there were very few drivers.

HORNER ROAD SLUGS & DRIVERS!! DRIVERS: If you cant understand why you are waiting for 10 or 20 minutes for riders at the Horner lot around 8 a.m., it is because they are circling trying to find a patch of grass to park on. RIDERS: its pretty clear if you arrive at Horner at 8 a.m. you wont find a place to park - unless your very creative. DRIVERS: Dont wait 10 minutes or more to find a rider -

SOLUTION: TRY POTOMAC MILLS LOT!!
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2004 at 4:18pm
I agree with the above! I got to Potomac about 8 am today (21st), plenty of spaces. We just need more drivers. Drivers please come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic