Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrids - a threat to car-pooling?
    Posted: 30 May 2002 at 8:47am
I wonder if state officials have thought of the long term implications of their policies on "alternative fuel" vehicles. I have read some articles on this and it is my understanding that in the not too distant future, the auto makers will be greatly increasing production of hybrids. Are my fellow slugs aware that soon there will be hybrid sport utes? (Possibly next year). Remember that there is also currently no mileage requirement for HOV - just that it be a "hybrid."

With the rapid advance of technology, it may be difficult in a few years to differentiate between hybrid and conventional.

There are many issues here. My main concern is that the HOV lanes are first and foremost for HOV. At the very minimum, state officials should be careful about stating or implying that any hybrid will qualify as HOV-1 for all time. If the HOV lanes get glommed up, there will need to be changes to the law.

There is another issue that is troubling when one thinks about it. Should anyone be able to essentially buy their way into HOV? We need to preserve the flow of HOV for everyone.

Don't get me wrong - these vehicles are good overall and they currently are not a problem at all. I just wanted to air out some of my thoughts on the long term picture.

Bob

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2002 at 10:45pm
Amen! Since these hybrids don't have 3x the mileage of a regular car, and I seriously doubt they have 1/3 the emissions, widespread use of hybrids in HOV is a net loser for the environment. And the added congestion will slow EVERYBODY down, thus causing even MORE pollution.

Well, it's not like most of the people making that decision are chock full of logic or common sense -- those are qualities that are generally a detriment to a political career...

- Eric.

bukie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2002 at 1:35pm
I have check into buying one of the hybrid cars and the law that allows them to drive in the HOV lanes expires in 2004. What will happen after that I do not know.

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2002 at 2:22pm
Hopefully, by that tim, those in power will be able to determine if clean cars deserve to use the HOV lanes. The only thing that I can see where they contribute to the well being of the community is that they pollute less (significantly?) than the typical car. But does this give those with hybrids and natural gas cars the privilege of using the HOV lanes and save substantial time, I think not.

gg
mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2002 at 7:31am
I agree with Eric. Also, because the idea behind constructing the HOV lanes was to get more cars off the road - first so people wouldn't have to take so brutally long in getting into work, and second - to help the environment, hybrids do not get more cars off the road, and there are serious questions about how the cars help the environment.

mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2002 at 9:48pm
Hybrids are less of a problem than getting violators out of the HOV lanes.Why don't you think like this, If more people get the hybrids And pick up two people than...WOW...just think of it. Around 50 mpg,cleaner air,save money and get a $7,000 tax credit too.By next year,I'll have one!

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2002 at 8:50am
I did some internet searching and as I understand it the current law applies through July 2004. So I am a little less concerned in that I assumed that Virginia was telling everyone that these cars would qualify for all time. If anyone knows more on the status of the law on this please post info.

To me, the best approach is to do this incrementally and let people know that if HOV gets glommed up, then the law will have to change perhaps allowing HOV 2 for hybrids. HOV should always have priority.

Bob

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 3:36pm
I just heard recently that "hybrid" SUVs will be out next year. I wonder if they will qualify? Will they get better gas mileage than an ordinary small-medium 4-door sedan?

The law says, by the way, that a "clean fuel" special license plate is required to use HOV lanes without the required number of people. Hybrids qualify for this license plate, but without it, they will be ticketed(I don't know if they actually are though).
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 4:10pm
There are some volkswagons that get better gas mileage than the hybrid cars. Unfortunately, people who buy hybrid cars are buying for the convenience of driving solo on HOV. I almost bought the hybrid, but then the Toyota Matrix came out and I love it so much - I had to buy one.

I am concerned about HOV congestion as well. It is bad enough that we already have to deal with people getting on HOV through Springfield, but now more frequently with the "clean fuel" cars which are increasing in numbers by day.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 4:48pm
Matrix,
I recently saw the "same" silver Honda Civic hybrid with temporary tags on three consecutive commutes. Strange thing was that there were three different people driving. I'm sure it wasn't the same car, but a testament to the increasing popularity of HOV-1.

I wonder if one of those high-MPG VW owners has tried applying for a CF license plate?

These cars are being sold way below their actual cost, people also get a huge tax break for owning one, and they don't have to follow the same laws as those of us without the tax-break or discounted car. I can't wait to see what happens with the hybrid SUVs, it's going to be ridiculous. Either the buyers will be complaining that they don't get to drive "HOV-1" or the rest of us will be remembering the good ole days of slugging. [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
  Share Topic