Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2002 at 10:21am
MPG and emissions are not related in the Hybrid case. The emissions are reduced by the battery application to the power train. I agree with one of the above writers in that we should look at all the HOV violators out there!! I am passed by countless violators each and every morning!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 4:52pm
I'll ask again... will these qualify for Virginia's HOV-1? Who knows, these may be the most popular vehicles next year since they get double the MPG as current SUVs while still being normal/full sized.

Ford's "high volume mainstream alternative"
http://www.hybridford.com/index.asp

Toyota's contribution
http://www.toyota.com/about/news/product/2002/07/01-1-fuelcell.html

If you look at this PDF you'll see that even the Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon is coing in 2003 as a "clean fuel" vehicle.
http://www.afdc.doe.gov/pdfs/my2003_afvs.pdf
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 4:54pm
I think that these new cars are great. My problem is the excemption from the rules they might recieve.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2002 at 8:53pm
I agree with trying to promote the lower emission/alt fuel vehicles. However, they (along with off-duty enmergency personnel) should be made to follow the HOV restrictions just like us regular people.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 11:21am
In my opinion I really don't see Hybrids as a threat to carpooling or the HOV lanes. I have seen a few of them on the road, but no enough to affect traffic. As others have mentioned, I think that HOV violators pose a greater threat to the HOV traffic and that is something that needs addressed first. However, I also agree that if in the future HOV traffic gets worse then maybe HOV-2 or something may be in order for Hybrids.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 1:02pm
Cameras would be the most effective enforcment of HOV. Not perfect, but.... a good source of revenue [B)]

I'd guess that as many as 10% of the cars in the HOV lanes are hybrids now. The problem I'm pointing out is in the near future, hybrids might be a very large percentage of the new cars on the road and all of them will want to use "hov-1"
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 1:43pm
I like the thought of them being a HOV2 if it gets to crowded. What I dont like is all the police/fire/FBI/undercover cars useing HOV Every day commuting. Stop and get a slug or get in the normal lanes. UNLESS it is an emergency. I see the same cars every day driving into DC useing HOV this is not an emergency.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 2:23pm

Below is some information I got off the internet on hybrids (don't know if it is all accurate). Depending on what the Virginia legislature does in terms of extending beyond 2004, I still think the potential is there for us to be swamped with hybrids of all kinds. It will be difficult to not renew the hybrid HOV rule once 10,000 people are using it.

Also, I am troubled by the fact that one can buy his way into the HOV. Although there is an environmental benefit relative to commuting by yourself in another type of car -- not relative to carpooling, this is similar to the so-called HOT lanes (high occupancy toll - to allow singles into the HOV) that have been kicked around, which I am totally against.

Incidentally, I heard from a driver that when your battery dies, it costs you $2,000 to replace. True?

Bob

excerpts from the website I found (dated 2002):

J.D. Power and Associates, a well-known international marketing firm,
estimates that 40,000 Toyota and Honda hybrid cars will be sold in this
country this year. By 2007, that number should climb to 500,000...

....Furthermore, there should be more than 20 kinds of hybrid minivans,
SUVs and sedans by companies like Ford, General Motors, Chrysler and
Dodge....

... This law (Virginia Code Section 33.1-46.2) is in effect
until July 1, 2004, but the legislature can extend it...

http://www.elizabethriver.org/news%20articles/hybrid_cars_.htm
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 3:10pm
Bob,

Actually, I read an article that stated the engines were $3000 to replace in the Toyota Prius. I will try to remember where I saw it and let you know...
Barry View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2002 at 3:17pm
According to a recent article in the Fredericksburg paper the allowance for traveling solo in the HOV lanes is based on the emissions the vehicle produces – not that it uses hybrid technology. This is indicated by the “Clean Fuel” (CF) tag. If you convert your gasoline powered car to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) I understand that it could be plated CF. In fact I’ve seen a handful of these vehicles in the HOV lanes over the years.

The logic that a CF car can travel with one occupant is based on the idea that it’s putting out a fraction of the emissions (with the Civic Hybrid it’s around 30%) that a regular car does. So, three CF cars put out approximately what one regular car. I admit that doesn’t help congestion in the HOV lanes.

Whether the new SUV Hybrids will be able to meet the CF restrictions is unknown. I’ve read the desire of SUV hybrids is to produce a vehicle that drives like it has a 6 cylinder engine but with a 4 cylinder under the hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
  Share Topic