Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 4:32pm
The waiver will be reviewed again in 2004.

Don
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 11:35pm
I certainly hope the waiver isn't continued past July 2004. The number of "CF" cars in the HOV lanes is growing fast, and by then will be growing much faster than now. My guess is that much more than 25% of the cars in the "HOV" lanes will be "CF" by July of '04.

I wonder how much "stink" these "HOV-1" drivers will make if their exemption from the law is rescinded?
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2002 at 4:09pm
Whether you look at it as an environmental issue or as a congestion issue, the result is the same -- HOV 3 is three times better than HOV 1 for the situation as a whole.

The rule NEEDS to change soon. Perhaps an interim measure of HOV 2 for the CF vehicles would make the medicine easier to swallow before they ultimately go to HOV 3 like everyone else.
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2002 at 4:40pm
I agree!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2002 at 1:06pm
My take is that HOV was instituted for congestion, not environmental purposes. The benefits accrued to the environment by the numbers of CF vehicles is far outbalanced by the benefits accruing to the far wider populace on the road in the form of reduction in traffic congestion. Perhaps my opinion is colored when I see tags that proudly proclaim the owners self-centeredness and arrogance on these same vehicles ("HOV4ME", "HOV1", etc.), but I put them in the same category as HOV bandits when I see one in the lanes during HOV hours with just the driver. I hope (and will write Richmond when the time comes) urging that the exemption not be renewed.

- Will
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2003 at 3:06pm
Hybrids are a stop-gap solution until alternate fuel sources become economically feasible, not a long-term solution. Hybrids get better gas milage, but not that much better. Many non-hybrid cars get MPGs in the 30s and qualify for ULEV status, and I'm sure technology will soon allow tradition ULEV gas cars to acheive MPGs in the 40s and 50s. Then what will make the hybrids so special? I am also concerned about the "new and improved, high MPG" VW diesels that are being marketed as a MPG solution. Will they get HOV exemptions? Hybrid SUVs are a contradiction if I've ever seen one!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2003 at 9:03pm
I see a hybrid(or more) with temporary tags almost every trip lately. Technically, they are breaking the law, but that's not the point. Growing menace they are. :D
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2003 at 7:51am
It is not the MPG the car gets for the Clean Fuel tag it is the emissions. The Hybrid technology greatly reduces the emissions of the vehicle and thus qualifies for the HOV exemption.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2003 at 9:13am
tdar. Let's try to look at the math of it though.
I live 50 miles from work. If I drive a hybrid that gets 50mpg, then I would use 1 gallon of gas (per person) and produce the emmisions of that 1 gallon (again, per person). If I drive in the HOV-3 (legally, with two other people in the car) using a car that gets 25mpg, then I would use 2 gallons, but for three people. Therefore, I would be using 2/3 gallon per person and producing the emmissions of 2/3 gallon per person. In this case, the we produces less emmissions per person than the hybrid AND have less traffic congestion AND get to work faster.

the hybrids are nice, but they will only make congestion MUCH worse. Personnally, I'd like to see the hybrids exception (and all of the other single person exceptions) done away with. The hybrids MAY alleviate the emmissions problem (and many people debate that), but will do nothing for the congestion problems.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2003 at 1:11pm
It might even someday be called HHOV and all none Hybrids might get sent back to the regular lanes in a few years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
  Share Topic