Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcheaters vs. hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2004 at 1:58pm
The number of hybrids has ballooned this year. I think a lot of recent arrivals to the area are buying them for use on HOV, thinking that they can get more house for their $ in PWC, etc., and not have a significant increase in their commuting time if they buy a hybrid. They are enjoying gas savings of course, and the tax break. On the other hand, maybe a lot of those hybrid buyers are kicking themselves because, with the increase in volume in HOV, on a typical day lately, nobody's doing THAT much better than the folks in the regular lanes! I get there just as quickly in my cheap 95 Corolla with 2 slugs as the expensive creepy looking hybrid! Lately my HOV commute has been averaging between 45 minutes and an hour most days. Ugh. I fear the days of 25 minute commutes from Lake Ridge to 14th & NY are OVER for all of us. This being the case, how do they expect to get people to PAY for this kind of commute when they turn them HOV to HOT lanes? "Took me an hour and a half to get to work today, and I got to pay $5 for the pleasure!" Yeah, right. BTW, I almost never see cheaters after 6:30AM or before 5:30PM. Can't be them clogging up the works!
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2004 at 11:07pm
Can we give up on the hybrid debate. Its getting old. Lets move on.
2006 is getting near.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2004 at 8:17am
Getting old? What does that mean? July 2006 is still 20 months away, and there's no indication yet that the hybrids will lose their exemption. It got extended last time, didn't it?

As hybrids have dramatically increased, so has the average commute time. This morning's commute is a good example. Even though it was very light compared to the recent normal, it was still about 5 minutes slower than my average time from two years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]Can we give up on the hybrid debate. Its getting old. Lets move on.
2006 is getting near.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2004 at 9:46am
If you live in my neck of the woods, your congressional rep is Jo Ann Davis. (Who?) What kind of commute do you think she has? What kind of car does she own? Hmmm, consider this, from her website:
11/19/03

Davis Supports Measure to Protect HOV Exemption for Hybrid Vehicles

Local lawmaker works with DOT to help preserve exemption

Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis today supported comprehensive energy legislation which, among other things, includes legislative language providing states the authority to pass laws to allow hybrid vehicles into HOV lanes without any passengers. Although Virginia currently allows hybrids into the HOV lanes, the Department of Transportation recently notified VDOT that this law conflicted with federal law, which did not allow the exemption, stating that unless the federal law was changed, Virginia would have to comply with federal regulations and change current state law.

In a letter to the Department of Transportation, Davis asked that DOT wait until Congress had the opportunity to address this issue in either Transportation Re-authorization or Energy legislation. DOT complied, and the passage of HR 6 now protects this provision.

"In an effort to alleviate our growing traffic problem and continue efforts to protect our environment, the hybrid exemption in HOV lanes is necessary, and I am pleased that this legislation protects this exemption," said Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis, who petitioned the Department of Transportation to give Congress a chance to address this issue before it mandated Virginia to change its current law. "This exemption encourages clean air vehicles and helps alleviate traffic. These vehicles accomplish exactly what the HOV lanes look to accomplish, which is to cut down on air pollution and help alleviate traffic gridlock."

"Folks in Virginia, specifically in the Fredericksburg region, purchased these hybrid vehicles with the intention of using the HOV lanes and protecting the environment," said Davis. "It is not fair to change the policy mid-stream on these people, and this legislation will allow the Virginia exemption to remain," added Davis.

Too bad she's got no one running against her today.
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2004 at 11:05am
Actually, she had an Independent Party candidate running against her today.
Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2004 at 7:52am
"In an effort to alleviate our growing traffic problem and continue efforts to protect our environment, the hybrid exemption in HOV lanes is necessary, and I am pleased that this legislation protects this exemption," said Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis, who petitioned the Department of Transportation to give Congress a chance to address this issue before it mandated Virginia to change its current law. "This exemption encourages clean air vehicles and helps alleviate traffic. These vehicles accomplish exactly what the HOV lanes look to accomplish, which is to cut down on air pollution and help alleviate traffic gridlock."

Folks - I had to write myself in yesterday against Ms. Davis due to the ridiculous beliefs she has with regards to one-person hybrids, the environment, and traffic in general. Just way out of touch. It is unfortunate, I have been on her side in the past, but I can't let this go, especially after crawling at 30 MPH this morning with 6 one-person hybrids around me the entire time............
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2004 at 10:08am
Given the rapid growth in the South has anyone thought that the ultimate goal is to end HOV in an effort to make all lanes available to everybody? I know there will be foaming at the mouth with that comment, but it was just a thought.

However, I think the ultimate issue is the fact that there are only a few ways to crowd into the city and they are maxed out. So, if this region continues to grow at the rate it is without any thought given to controlling growth and alternative transportation systems (which means higher taxes), the roads are just going to get worse. I think removing the exemptions is only temporary patch.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2004 at 3:39pm
At least Hybrids don't pollute as much. Near the bottom of the barrel are the "left-lane slow drivers" who create rolling roadblocks. Busses that drive all the way up and then cut into traffic lanes close to the Pentagon exit are down there too. But HOV cheaters are low-life scum! Rent-a-cop cars with the little blue dashboard lights are just cheaters with badges (when there's no emergency). Life, death or national security emergencies aside, there's no excuse for singles in the HOVs.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2004 at 6:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]At least Hybrids don't pollute as much.

Not true as mentioned in many other posts.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 6:57am
You guys are funny. I think you should just keep beating the bybrid debate to death. If your so against the hybrids, than do something about it. Stand at the entrance to each HOV and scream and yell at the hybrid drivers, and maybe you'll change their minds, or get your rear end kicked. Geese, 20 more months of them, and the hybrids will be parking and riding, or picking up slugs. Geese. MOVE ON!

Well said Sponge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic