Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mine Rd slug line in Stafford

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mine Rd slug line in Stafford
    Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 2:07pm
I usually pick up from the old lot behind McD's on 610. I have noticed that the Mine Rd lot is ALL JACKED UP! Why do the "slugs" line up all the way down at the end? The cars end up backing up all the way to the light. I end up leaving the Mine Rd lot and going to Horner Rd to get slugs because everytime I try the Mine Rd lot, I can't even get in. Is it possible to move the line up to the front?
Thanks- Teresa [:D]
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 3:50pm
Out of curiosity, what time did you try and pick up from Mine Road?
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2004 at 10:12am
I know I see it happening around 7:30ish -- I meet my carpool about that time and have to go around all those cars to meet them.

I have noticed and I recently stopped picking up slugs and got into a four-person carpool -- the slugs in line at Mine Road wait until the car approaches them instead of walking the line. I guess they aren't in a hurry to get to work. [8)]

Dina
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 3:38pm
I have tried different times at Mine Rd. I usually get their around 7 or 7:30, and unfortunately, end up turning around and leaving. I slug myself and this seems to be the main topic for other drivers as well...they all want to know what the line forms the way it does. I am not sure if there is any way to correct this [?]

Out of curiosity, what time did you try and pick up from Mine Road?
JDivine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2004 at 2:57pm
Many of us who slug from the Mine Rd. lot have tried to get the sluggers and sluggees to move back, but most of the time we are met with contempt! As a slug, I and a few others have many times walked all the way down to the traffic light to find out where drivers are headed. They just about all are headed to Virginia destinations and, at least after 7:00 a.m., most of us sluggers from Mine Rd. are headed into DC. I've heard that there are Virginia bound sluggers waiting in the old lot for rides, but the Virginia bound drivers keep coming to Mine Rd. and wait forever for riders. They seem to think it makes sense to wait from 15 to 45 minutes in the Mine Rd. lot rather than to stop first at the old lot to see about riders! Suggestions have been made that Virginia destination folks go to the old lot and DC bound folks go to the Mine Rd. lot. At a minimum, it would alleviate the ever increasing parking problem we're experiencing, to say nothing of getting folks to their destinations more efficiently!
RAZZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2004 at 8:13am
This morning at about 6:30 I tried to get the people in the line to reverse it. It met with little support, like trying to heard cats and they refused to move. Funny though how everyone I talk to individually would like to see it change so then when someone steps up to take action they all just sit there. I for one am going to try and get the line reversed.
JDivine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2004 at 4:36pm
I got to the lot around 7:15 this morning and the cars were lined up beyond the traffic light. Had to go to the light at WalMart in order to get into the lot safely. Of course, the very first slug car was stopped well before the middle of the island, causing the backup of traffic. As luck would have it, the driver was headed up 14th Street and so was I. For once, there were only a few people waiting for rides.
KP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 8:32am
You're right! the Mine Rd. lot is getting crazy after 7:30 am (except Fridays). I like the suggestion that sluggers at Mine Rd line up at the other end of the medium, toward Greenspring Drive. This will allow drivers to pull all the way into the lot instead of backing up traffic coming into the lot on Mine Rd. It will also save a few steps for slugs who are finding parking north of the lot. I'm a "Virginia" slugger, who would prefer to use the Mine Rd. lot because it is closer to my home, but there is no parking available by 7:30. I don't like to leave home any earlier because I have a child who gets on the bus after 8 am. How about VA riders & drivers meeting in the "overflow lot" of the Old 610 lot on Staffordbourough? There is always parking there and riders have started lining up again in the old lot after 7:30. Unfortunately, all the cars are waiting in one lot, and the parking is in the other! Also, would you please join me in complaining to the police about the cars that are FOR SALE 24/7 and taking up precious parking at the Mine Rd Lot? Hey, I know what it's like to need to sell your car, but please don't leave it there during the week days.
ExecSec View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExecSec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 1:18pm
KP is right. My friend who always drives goes straight to the old 610 lot at 7:30. She says that there is a wave of riders who can't find parking spaces at Mine Rd. I took her word for it and found a ride immediately. There were a great amount of spaces left in the far back and plenty of drivers.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 12:25pm
As a part time Slug rider, and a local 610 resident, I am frustrated, as are many others, in the situation at mine road and the Old Lot.

I have read, and heard many complaints about the parking, slug line route, moving up etiquette, etc. of the Mine Road and Old Lot lines. Many theories have been shouted out, time of the morning, out of town sluggers, final destination, VA to VA, VA to DC.. yada yada yada. But yet NO ONE does a THING!

Most people go to, Pentagon, Crystal City, 14th, 18th, Naval Yard, and some various places in VA.

So why cant we all organize, and set up individual lines, within the two lots, for people to stand? Oh yeah, duh, the Old Lot has been doing that for years.

Why cant people move up the line when there are more people than cars? Without getting nasty looks, or being deemed a "Line Nazi"

And vice versa? There were so many cars trying to pick up slugs this morning at the Mine Road lot at 7:00 am, that the traffic was backed up hazardously into traffic in the street. Can we say traffic accident?

how about one side of the pick up area at Mine Road be for 14th, 18th and other areas of DC, and the other side be for Crystal City, Pentagon, and other areas in VA? There is plenty of room? For god sakes, anyone who has ridden home from the Pentagon, can see it works!
Or does someone need to go out, pour some cement, and post a sign with the destination on it for it to work?

it's not that hard of a concept, The Old Lot has had designated areas of the lot for different areas for years. I started there at the 14th Street line, now unless you are there before 6:30am, you have to go to Mine Road to get to 14th.

I proposed we, the 610 Sluggers, suggest ideas, and come up with a solution, then, verbally, you know, word of mouth, get it to work?

just a thought, thats all.

:'}

:'}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic