Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Backups on the HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:50am
Amen Sir!

[:D]
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 1:02pm
Well adguy. The whole point of the HOV was to get more cars off the road, so your arguments are not on point, although I'm sure you will come back with something just as off point. P.S. You seem awfully angry and smug. Loosen up. I know. How about picking up some slugs and widening your horizons.
RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 1:30pm
Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

As for the back up, this is the first year that there has been a consistent back up in the HOV lanes. I can't even imagine what the HOV lanes are going to be like in even another year unless VA smartens up and gets rid of the ridiculous exceptions.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 2:51pm
Hey Mit, from one smug to another, thanks for your opinion and your positive approach to this whole problem, and I appreciate you respecting my opinion, and right to express it.

Did you miss the part where it said I too am a slugger and have been for years? Ive been "expanding my horizons" (other than my waist size) for some time now.

See you at the Gas pump
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 3:22pm
You missed the point, but I'll take the blame 'cause I don't want to add to all that anger.
gsm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 3:33pm
Hear! Hear! I agree. VA has made it way to easy for the single drivers, including an early lifting of restrictions (6pm). Years ago it was 6:30pm and allowing them onto the HOV at Edsall Rd to go a few exits. (People say that it is because of the Springfield Interchange construction, but this was in effect waaaay before that started.) Letting the single drivers on at Edsall Rd.literally stops the HOV and the regular lanes are just zipping right along. Way to go VA. These decisions do NOT promote carpooling.

quote:
Originally posted by RM
[br]Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

As for the back up, this is the first year that there has been a consistent back up in the HOV lanes. I can't even imagine what the HOV lanes are going to be like in even another year unless VA smartens up and gets rid of the ridiculous exceptions.

adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 9:04pm
Mit- you ever thought about going into comedy? LOL

Nope, dont want me to get angery here, I might type out another 250 word essay on this website.

[:D]
kgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:32am
Phew...that was a wee bit tense.
I just don't see the point in getting irritated with a Hybrid driver. The Law said they could drive in there without picking up slugs. Whether or not you feel thats ok, take it up with the Law not the Hybrid driver. Pat yourself on the back as many times as you want, but they don't HAVE to pick anyone up. Besides, I've said it before, and I've seen it said by others, the exemption won't last long anyway.
BE NICE [:)]
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:41am
Anyone care to place a bet about the end of the exemption? [:p]

Really now, can you see VDOT pulling the tags off those cars, putting those vehicles either onto the regular lanes or into the commuter lots, or could you more easily imagine VDOT asking the Hybrid owners to, oh, I don't know, PAY A LITTLE MONEY into the state treasury to save their exemption? Say, an HOV usage fee of $100 a year?

Hmm. What would I do if I were in charge of VDOT....[}:)]

elama View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:47am
I remember hearing something about this. Does anyone know how the State of Virginia responded to the Federal Government when they said that they would not give the state Federal money if they didn't get the hybrids off the HOV? First I heard that the hybrids have to be off the HOV in 2006 and then I heard that the exception has been extended.

quote:
Originally posted by RM
[br]Allowing the hybrids on the HOV is just one other thing to add to the long list of bad decisions on the part of the State of Va. and the Feds agree, at least they did a couple years ago. I read an article a couple of years ago that the Feds (I believe it may have been the National Highway Safety Administration) informed VA that they would deny the state federal highway monies if they did not get the hybrids off the HOV lanes for the reason stated by MIT -that they do not meet the objective of the HOV - getting more vehicles off the road. The decision-makers seem to often lose sight of the big picture.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic