Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Backups on the HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent Backups on the HOV
    Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 2:00pm
During the last couple of weeks I've noticed major backups/slowdowns on the HOV lanes, particularly in the mornings starting at Lorton and then again inside the beltway. Maybe a combination of the hybrids and new homes being built? No accidents reported. Just a comment, but I am noticing a huge # of hybrids and wonder how is it some folks say that they notice only a few. Any thoughts on what is causing these backups? I generally reach Lorton about 6:45a.m.
Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 3:32pm
Hybrids - they are the reason - no more trying to fool ourselves
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 8:43pm
H
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 9:04pm
Here we go again. Complaining about the Hybrids. Lets just blame it on the Hybrids that are getting 50 MPG and not polluting the air. My wife and I commute to work everyday in our Hybrid and have to put up with the nasty looks on the highway, and several motorists issuing the three finger salute. I salute back accordingly often, only using a more conservative (one finger) salute. Stop moaning about the Hybrid Vehicles, because most of the anti hybrid comments derive from those gas guzzling SUV owners who have nothing else to complain about but their $50 a week gas bill. Never mind that this area is growing too fast for its underpants to fit anymore. Nevermind that there is an article in several newspapers (free lance star as one of them) talking about overcrowding in the commuter lots, and people being ticketed for parking illegally. I feel that I am doing commuters a service by not taking a precious parking spot at the Horner Road commuter lot. Well guess what ladies and gents, when they do say that Hybrids cant ride in HOV alone anymore, what do you think is going to happen?? Hmmmm? I would say that there will be just a few more parking spots takin in the lots, filled with hybrid owners who want to take the bus instead of picking up an absolute stranger in their cars. Better pack your Starbucks and commuter cups a little earlier when that day comes, because the lots will be full by 7am. Go ahead, and head over to your county supervisors office and ask for more parking spots. You will get a cold deer in the headlights stare, because of one reality: THE STATE IS BROKE.

We must not forget about the surrounding county's growth policy of scorched earth, building these huge half million dollar homes so close to one another, and inviting that 'tax base' without the a sustainable infrastructure of more roads and public transportation projects. So please, saying "hybrids are the reason" I think is someone who is fooled by his own ignorance.

See you at the gas pump.

WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 8:05am
I loved that last comment, I really do think the Hybrids get too much negativity from sluggers that isn't deserved. Granted it'd be nice for them to utilize their passenger seats, but hey at least they're helping in other ways (environment vs. traffic). I just hope that these Hybrid owners won't trade their cars in when the HOV laws are removed in the upcoming years.

As for the recent crowdedness on HOV, I think it's not so much the Hybrids as it is possibly the new influx of residents in the area.

Reason #1: Hybrids have BEEN around for a while so why all of a sudden the surge?

Reason #2: Consider it is the new school year and that's when new residents tend to move to coincide with the enrollment.

Reason #3: Maybe people are getting wise and using the HOV lanes more, that is carpooling AND Hybrid options. Just some things to think about.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 9:45am
Hey, adjguy: Go Away. This forum is for Slugs. You are not a Slug. You are a Smug. You exemplify the anti-social me-first-and-me-only attitude of too many hybrid owners. If you are such a scaredy-cat, or a misanthrope (someone get him a dictionary) that you cannot participate in our Slugging Lifestyle ("hybrid owners who want to take the bus instead of picking up an absolute stranger in their cars") go start your own Forum of Smugs. Oh, I forgot: that would fail because the Smugs can't be induced to cooperate or help each other. Oh well.

If you don't want to slug or pick up slugs, why don't you form a carpool, or get on a bus. In the meantime, get off the SLUG forum.

And one final thing, Mr. Smug: the gross environmental impact of you driving 30+ miles essentially solo is worse than an SUV driver who parks their car and slugs. It's not just air pollution that needs to be part of the equation; there are ancillary environmental impacts inherent in the production, maintenance, and eventual disposal of any motorized vehicle. If your car is so non-polluting ("Hybrids that are getting 50 MPG and not polluting the air") I invite you to put your lips around the tailpipe for ten minutes, then try and repeat the statement. And is 50MPG all you get? Jeez, I regularly got 40MPG out of my old Honda Civic. Doesn't sound to me like your car does anything other than assuage your conscience.
Geezehead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 10:02am
adjguy - SpongeBob hit most of it but to add. Pick up someone else, then no one could give you the salute.

As to parking lots? Once the exemption is gone Hybrid drivers will still drive, just because of their self absorbed, egocentric attitude towards life. Thanks for not taking a parking spot. I don't take a spot either, but I pickup to bring my total to 3 people - again, if you accomplished this simple task you would be in compliance as well. Instead you insist on turning 95 into a parking lot.....
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 2:40pm
Well said Spongebob and Geeze!!
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2004 at 3:48pm
Well Gang, you told me. You got me whimpering away with my tail between my legs. I failed to mention that I do slug 2 days per week from Horner to Rosylyn, take the metro from Roslyn to West Falls church, and the 28A or B bus from West falls church metro to Tysons Corner, and have been doing so for three years. I understand that the wording of my paragraph indicated "every day", it was not accurate. If I werent a slug, I wouldnt be wasting my time on this great website I am not anti slug, I am just tired of all of the complaining and the snear looks I get when I am in my Hybrid three days per week. I alternate with the wife to and from work.

Mr. Spongebob, I must comment on your articulate writing skills, espec. involving the name calling "smug". Very well thought out, and the Smug word, I couldnt have chosen a better one. You are obviously an intelligent and witty person, that I wouldnt want to tango with in a shouting match, so You I will definately avoid. I myself am a victim of the public school system, and am not nealy as well spoken as you.

Thank you all for the opportunity to speak on this forum. It is not every day that you get called names, but well worth the debate.

Geezhead, well I dont know what to say to you. I think you need to come back to reality. as for the "egocentric" word use, I will not dis-agree with you, I have been called worse. Congradulations on picking up the slugs everyday, I probably have riden with you at one point or another.

Sponge--As for the HOnda, I have one too. They are great cars. I own a civic DX coupe, 1995 white in color. look for it in the horner road lot tuesdays and Wed. Take care of it, it will not break.

Thanks again all. Happy motoring.

See you at the gas pump
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 8:28am
Gotta love civility! Now that we've all let out some steam, can we get back to solutions and not more bickering? My solution is to leave a bit earlier and expect some waiting on the HOV lane. Someone on another thread mentioned it's a pattern that the HOV lanes crowd up around the school year, so I'll have to tough it out until next summer.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic